My parents (Mom and Stepdad) have come to visit me this weekend. It is fun to have them here and not be myself. Seeing as I have had no husband all summer, you can imagine all the fun projects that I have needed to get done around the house. Well, Steve (my stepdad) has really stepped up to the plate and was the "man of the house". After his first trip to the bathroom he realized the toilet seat needed to be tightened (something I just dealt with for the last year and a half). Then he put up the closet rod in the babies room, mowed the lawn, edged the grass, fixed the hydranga bush, weeded, set up the new (actually old and Free) desk and all the computer stuff. All while I was at work. He helped my mom hang up pictures, and Barbequed some steak for us last night.
That alone would make him a superhero in my eyes, but there is something even more that makes this man the knight in shining armor that he is. He puts up with my mom. Now don't get me wrong, I love my mom and she has a lot of wonderful qualities...but she also drives me absolutely crazy. I forget how much she drives me crazy until I spend a few consecutive hours with her. My stepdad puts up with her constantly picking at his food (even when she could easily get her own, she thinks his tastes better). She asks silly questions over and over and over and he just patiently answers them. For example, we went on a walk yesterday. I told her that there is a pretty walk by the river that I wanted to take her. Well, we started by some houses and had to walk to the "river walk". Before we even started my mom said, "Where is the river, I thought we were going to walk by the river?" I explained to her that we would get there eventually and she seriously asked me like 7 more times in the next ten feet where the river was. I was about to strangle her and Steve just walked on patiently. He lets her boss him around and does her deeds with kindness. I just admire his extreme patience, because I certainly don't have it for the woman. He always sticks up for her even when she may not be very right. Even more, the man will go to antique store after antique store with her no matter where they are. They have driven across the country with my mom wanting to stop at every single antique store or garage sale along the way (I know you think I am exaggerating, but I am being quite literal, my mothers house has more knick knacks than your average antique store) and he will go with her. He will go with her and sit there patiently looking at glass figurines and old dolls. And for all this and more, he is a hero.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Way to go Steve, it sounds like there's a few things I won't have to do when I get home. As for putting up with your mother, it is pretty dang impressive.
I can't believe you took people on the river trail. That's our trail man. Just kidding. I don't know why I just said that. Just making conversation. So what else will you do while they're here?
Dude... this guy is setting the bar pretty high for you BA. Maybe you shouldn't let him come over anymore.
You've got to take your mom to Ruthie B's, that antique/tea shop in Springfield. And you have to eat there when you go. It's so good...
I wouldnt go if i were you, sounds like a steamy hotbed of filth and stink for the impoverished. You would be wise not to mingle with their sort.
Your stepdad goes antique-shopping? Sounds sort of like a pussy.
he's definately whooped, that's for sure.
Post a Comment