Friday, September 22, 2006

Too Popular

In high school, you may have thought there was no such thing. I mean, didn't everyone want to be popular (even if it was secretly, you know you wanted to be known and worshipped by all). Well, the problem with popularity is it inevitably goes to your head and you get ruined. That is how I feel about Grey's Anatomy. When the show began, I was so excited for a new fun show and obsession. And it is fun to like a show that others like, because then you can talk about it with them and obsess about the characters as if they are real people. Then the show whirlwinds into this freaky worldwide phenomenom where you can't watch Access Holleywood without someone talking about freaking Dr. McDreamy! Hey that was MY Dr. McDreamy - I don't want to share him with Nancy O'Dell. I think the biggest kicker is the stupid music video. Who makes a music video for a TV show? Give me a break people!

Anyway, I watched the season premier and I will probably remain a loyal follower but I can't say I am not disappointed. What was the deal with the flashbacks? I know LOST is a hit (the stakes are high now that my other favorite show doesn't let me down) and all and the flashbacks work pretty well for them, doesn't mean GA can rip that off. I am hoping that was just a season premier thing.

Now that I have that off my chest we can move onto my recap of the night I waited so long for.

My Name is Earl - Way to go Earl, Joy, and Randy for making me laugh harder than I have for a while. I loved Earl's English accent and when Joy was ready to pee in a circle around that guy so no animals would attack him. I loved it when Randy was being sArcastic...and there is just so much more. Thank you Earl, thank you.

The Office - Where do I begin. I am so dang glad that Pam broke up with her stupid fiance, and although it is sad that Jim is far away - well it had to be done. I mean did we really expect it to just work out automatically. No, we need that tension. Michael was at his peak of awkwardness. I had to hold my breath and cover my face during the whole kissing Oscar seen. And Dwight with the Gadar was fantastic.

Grey's Anatomy - Well, other than the obvious disappointment. I was sad there wasn't more Christina and Burke. That is the storyline to follow - not stupid Meredith. We hate her! I was glad Izzy finally got up from the bathroom floor. That is just gross to lay on the bathroom floor. I mean she has a male roommate, who knows where his pee has landed. And I still can't wrap my head around Callie and the fact that she looks like she will eat George rather than kiss him.

6 Degrees - I take it back that I was excited for this show. It failed to capture my attention and I was forced to go back and forth to Shark. I am not sure which show will win yet, but I don't have that high of hopes for 6 Degrees. JJ Abrams, you are letting me down.

8 comments:

Tara said...

So I guess you probably didn't like it when I emailed you that music video from GA huh? Who doesn't love that song though?

I don't mind Meredith either. I want her to get with McDreamy so they can live happily ever after. I guess that wouldn't make for an interesting show though.

Good call on the Izzie and pee on the floor thing. EW!

Marc said...

I'm waiting for the day you to take back your excitement about Grey's Anatomy.

Lizzy said...

Yay, for the recaps!

I thought Grey's was pretty good. Minus the flashback stuff. I was kind of annoyed how Addison reacted to the undies. I'm so sick of Meredith. She needs to get that wart or mole or whatever it is on her lip removed. It drives me CRAZY!

Earl was great. I loved how Joy said she could be friends with crook girl if she could get past staring at the thing on her face. That was funny. And Randy in the entire episode. That episode really made him shine.

The Office was good, too. I miss Jim. I wanna him to come back. I loved that Kevin didn't do anything but smile and laugh the entire time. He kills me.

I didn't watch 6 Degrees. And I bet you're glad I didn't because this comment in long enough!

Alifinale said...

Actually Tara, I received the email from both you and Liz and I couldn't download it and see it. So, no worries. I was so excited for the premiers that the email made me excited in and of itself. And maybe my vision was a bit tainted because my hubbie mocks that video SOOOO much. But I do think it is a bit much.

Lizzy - I miss Jim too. But I think the show did a good job keeping him involved and keeping you wondering what is going to happen. I loved how the girl in the new office was like, "Jim seems alright, but he keeps looking at the camera and smiling and shrugging" Funny, cuz its true.

Sammy Pow said...

I liked how I wanted to sleep so bad, but Ali wouldn't turn off the TV. lysm!

King Family said...

I love The Office. My two favorite lines this week were:
"Gay Porn, Straight Porn, its all good.."
and
"Who put my #%! calculator in the Jell-o?"

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the fall shows are back because I love reading your summaries. I have to admit that the flashbacks didn't bother me that much. My favorite scene was actually with Callie and McVet. They seemed to have a good repoire and the relationship between the two of them seemed a lot less strained than the one with Callie and George or McVet and Meredith. I want McVet to stay on the show even if Meredith doesn't pick him. Maybe he'll hook up with Izzy? Or even George. I'm about ready for George to have a man in his life so doesn't have to be so wishy-washy. And it was so tender when Christina cried and asked Burke not to die. Christina can pull off sad and we believe it. Meredith's sad looks like all of her other emotions--a straight face with the occasional tears in her eyes. Too much Botox, I guess.

Alifinale said...

Good call. I wish I liked Callie more, but I can't get over the fact that she is amazon woman compared to George. She is just bigger than him and that makes me uncomfortable. But I do really like McVet, that is why I don't see how he can like Meredith so much. You hit it so right with her emotions, too much botox.