Monday, September 14, 2009

Football is back

I really need to learn to like watching football. I think it would make my life much easier/happier and our marriage stronger because football season is here and that is all my husband wants to do. All day on Saturday, football was on TV. All evening last night. And I suppose it will happen again tonight (I don't know, is football on Monday nights?) and many other nights from now until February.

I think I watched it when we were dating. That is how I tricked Brian. He thought I was a girl who could watch football. But really I think I just watched the commercials and enjoyed holding his hand. But, try as I might, my mind just shuts off to the sound of the announcers voice and I can't sit still and I even get a little annoyed that Brian can't take his eyes off the TV.

The only good thing about this season is the snacks and the get togethers. I love any excuse to have friends over and that means I get to make my corn salsa. Now we just need some friends that have wives who are equally indifferent to the game (you friends know who you are - you are no good to me when you would rather watch the game than chat in the kitchen).

Brian and the guys watching the Ducks. You can't live in Eugene and not be indoctrinated by all the Duck worshipping. Ok, Steve can.

Sage even dressed up for the fun! Go DUCKS!

13 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

ditto. the sound of football lulls me to sleep. and makes me cold.

i love how we don't know enough about football to even know when we can expect to lose the husband to it-to me it's just this thing that comes in and takes over and i have no way to prepare for it. or i could look up the schedule, but it's so complicated...although i think there is monday night football.

Emily said...

Steve is so die hard BSU, not even 3 years in Oregon could turn him. I like to think of myself as in the middle...for the most part, I can ignore and chat in the kitchen, but some games are really fun to watch. Maybe you need to give it another try Alison.

Maybe if someone was waiting on you hand and foot, feeding you snacks and watching the kids you would like it more. You just have to look at it from the husband's perspective.

Ilene said...

Go Ducks!!

Only at your house would I be tempted to NOT watch the game.

Poor Steve as a BSU fan. The people here are crazy for their Wack WAC team. I hate it. It's even worse than Eugene in that the fans here are so blindly arrogant. A couple of wins against a bad Oregon team and a win with a trick play over Oklahoma State does not make for a national powerhouse. Especially when you play in the WAC.

Probably wouldn't hate BSU so much if the Ducks failed to show up to play twice against them. Obviously I am bitter.

Alicia said...

If we lived by you I'd be in the kitchen with you... actually, I think Blaine would probably be there with us... he's not much of a sporto (Thank Goodness!!!), and I love it.

Kara said...

I sympathize- Chris watched football for at least 15 hours this weekend!! Rediculous!!! He calls it relaxing, and I call it annoying!! Thank goodness for good girlfriends and a movie and Yogurtland on Sat. night after 12 hours of football in one day at my house!!!

Lizzy said...

Corn salsa... yum. Have I told you that John now makes that for almost every family gathering? It's one of my favorite things he took away from living in Oregon: Alison's recipe for corn salsa. I love it! Thanks.

And I would NOT be watching the game either. Unless Tom Brady or Robbie Gould were on. Then I'd watch for 30 seconds before moving back to the kitchen. Wish I was there!

Unknown said...

I can only watch football when it is the last part of the game and if it is intense......and there has to be snacks. I could care less about the first half of the game.....that is when the good chatting and snack eating happens! I see that you got new couches! We need to visit again!

Bringhursts said...

That's funny. Oh, the things we pretended to like when we were dating!

gretchen said...

Agree, completely! Love the football treats, can't sit through a game. If I lived closer, I would chat in the kitchen with you.

Christi said...

Wish we could have been there for the game, although you probably would be mad b/c I would want to watch the game :)
I love it when we watch the games, your back is to the TV!!!

bulkleybunch said...

snaggle's outfit is awesome! i didn't realize bri bri was such a football fanatic. nightmare. good luck surviving! tell him he has to watch sytycd with you to make up for it. :)

Brianne said...

I totally agree that you can't live in Eugene and not be totally duck drawn. We only lived in Eugene for just under 2 years and we have to have an "O" on the back of our car, Marcus watches all the games and has to be wearing his "Duck" gear. Boys!

Anonymous said...

I can't ever remember my password, so it's another anonymous comment, even though you know it's your fil. Bri-Bri and his pals look very intent watching the Duck game. I hope Brian is able to practice moderation in all things and that he doesn't become a Duck fanatic, which would be all too easy. I'm sure Brian was able to attend to his family duties during the game, and am glad to see him bouncing Sage on his knee as he cheers for his team. I did not teach him to love football, so no one can pass this off to bad parenting. I did teach him to love watching golf (and more importantly, playing golf), but it appears football has won out. Dang cute blog, and the video of Sage makes me sad I'm not there to see her in real life, but I'm glad Al Gore invented the internet so I can see photos of Emers going to school (cute outfit) and little Sagie taking her first steps,
Brad