Monday, October 25, 2010

Primary Program and Jack-o-Lanterns

Yesterday was our ward's primary program and it was my first time having a kid in the show. And it turned out to be quite the show. I decided I needed to write this down so I could remember how great it was.

Emery was really excited to participate in the program. She had her 1 line that she had practiced and I had heard several times from her teacher that she was practicing the songs so well. The girl loves to sing so that didn't surprise me. She is often found (even during church) belting out a song while she goes to the bathroom or colors or does anything else.

We started off a little rocky. Emery went up to the front to sit with her class but had forgotten her church bag and started to bawl. She came running down to us and everyone has these looks of "Poor kid is so scared to be up there". Not at all, she got her bag and marched back up to the stage forgetting immediately that she had just had a meltdown.

I told her as church was starting that I was so excited to hear her sing and that she needed to sing out so I could hear her. Little did I know that she would really take me seriously (I felt a little better afterward when her teacher told me she always sang that loud in practice). She was the cutest loudest singer out there. I can't tell you how many people came up to us afterward and said Emery stole the show. I was laughing so hard I was in tears. I wish so much that we could have taken a picture because her little earnest face as she was singing was priceless.

Sage really wanted to be part of the show too. While we were sitting in our bench, I was on the inside, Brian on the outside with Sage, she escaped his grasp. She started running up to the front and Brian looks at me and says "Do you want to go get her?" Seriously, after he let her run all the way up there he wanted me to climb over him, walk to the front (while the kids are doing their speaking parts) and get the crazy kid. Seriously. I was less then thrilled with him. I sort of hit him as I passed him, Emery's poor sweet teacher was trying to grab Sage for me who was already on the stage. Afterward, our home teacher who was a few rows behind us told me I should have hit Brian harder. He's right. Man, that was another fun moment.

In between all the fabulous singing Emery decided to pull her dress up from the back over her head. There was some awesome growling faces being made at her classmates and Sage tried to stand up and do the sign language along with the kids singing "As I Have Loved You". We loved the show and were so proud/embarrassed.

In other news, we also decided to carve pumpkins last night. Of course when I pulled out the real camera we found that it was out of batteries so here are a few pics from Brian's handy cell phone.
Happy Halloween Week!

11 comments:

Sammy Pow said...

How could you forget to mention that I sabotaged you by giving you a piece of Rockstar Energy Gum, which contributed significantly to your inability to quit laugh-crying at Emery the whole time?

So, in sum, I drugged my wife and refused to get my kid from the stage. Excellent work Ali, you got yourself a keeper.

Emily said...

I wish I could have seen Emery! It totally sounds like me when i was little, I always sang louder than anyone.

Love the pumpkins and the fact that you are nicer than me and let your 4 year old handle a huge knife.

Lizzy said...

I love it! I can just imagine her belting out those songs, just from the videos you post of her singing at home. So cute!

Kara said...

I'm am laughing out loud right now picturing all this! Nathan picked his nose throughout most of our primary program! I love that she sings loud- that's so cute and that she pulled her dress up. Good job Sage! She just wanted to be part of the show. Don't you wish we could take pictures of the Primary Program? They should just make it ok for one sunday a year!

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Emery's cousin looks like Brian's twin! Fun pumpkins!

Jill said...

Awesome. I wish we were there to see it! She is so cute.

And the pumpkins look great!!

Christi said...

I can hear her now! I wish it wasn't taboo to tape the programs. I would have loved to have seen that!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

camera picture or not that knife photo is a keeper! it'll look great in her wedding slideshow. i wish we didn't have church at the same time or that we had primary programs on different days so we could watch the cousins. and i would have run up there for you ;)

bulkleybunch said...

haaa!! the whole post plus brian's comment just made my night. love those kids! wish i could have been there crying/laughing with you. love you all!!

Tara said...

ha ha that is awesome! Go Emery! I can imagine the cracking up crying/laughing. That is always a good time at church when you are supposed to be more serious.

That knife photo is pretty rad! :)

p.s. glad you are alive!

Beeta said...

Dangit. These pictures are the only ones that won't pull up for some reason. I wanted to see Emery and the knife. This sounds hilarious and I can totally hear you telling this story as I read it. I love it! Emery is turning in to quite the little performer and Sagey doesn't want to be left behind!