Saturday, October 02, 2010

I think I swallowed...


I don't know what to do with my little worry wart, Emery. For the last couple weeks (or maybe even longer) Emery has been coming downstairs shortly after we put her in bed in tears. She is crying and stressing that she swallowed something and she is scared. At first I thought she was just trying to get us to not leave and to stay up longer. But the tears and the crying seemed so genuine that I am starting to think maybe she really is scared. I am beginning to think she is turning into a hypochondriac but her limited knowledge of illness has stuck with swallowing hazards. It is always something that she swallowed.

"Remember a long time ago I swallowed a bead? Well, it didn't come out in my poo (as I promised it would to make her laugh and stop freaking out about it) and I think it is coming out my nose."

Or this one time, when I was gone and Brian was at home with his brother watching TV Emery came in hysterical. She said she swallowed a penny a long time ago (which she didn't, I told her that I did when I was little to get her to know she would be ok when she swallowed the aforementioned bead) and was afraid it was coming out her private and tried to have daddy take a look. Brian was horrified.

Or the time her teacher read a book in Pre-school about a lady who swallowed a bunch of stuff then sneezed it out. Emery was sure that it would happen to her.

At dinner she dropped her fork on the ground, when I asked her where it was she jokingly said she swallowed it. But then when bedtime came she was in tears that she may have swallowed her fork.

It happens every night. And after she came in at 3am to tell me she is a afraid that a tiny dog jumped into her mouth while she was sleeping and that she swallowed it - I have had it. I don't know what to do but this line of thinking has got to stop. It took me over an hour to get back to sleep and I was not happy. I laughed about it this morning though when I relayed the story to Bri. Seriously, a dog?

The thing about this girl is she is stubborn and has the memory of an elephant. She is a child who remembers if you promised a cookie "later" or that we could go to the park "tomorrow". She won't let it go. I have learned to say maybe a lot more and be careful with my promises (she said the other day in the car, "Maybe means no." Maybe she is on to me).

So, any suggestions out there? What can I do to help my crazy little girl know that she is not going to swallow a fork or leaves or a very small dog?

This is just a cute pic I forgot I took this summer when she first got her Book of Mormon and slept with it and took it everywhere. I want her to go back to sleeping like this.

10 comments:

Cassey said...

Ali, oh my stars! I laughed and laughed when I read this! Like, really laughing. Out loud. With a little tear on my cheek! Oh dear!
I'm sorry, its hard, I'm sure. But for a story like that I think it is worth it. :)
My dear Ruby is like that. She is always worried. She is always scared. We had to stop watching Dora and Diego because she was up all night scared about wolves or hawks or whatever was on the show. She's always covered in bandaids because her skin is "falling off".
Hopefully for Emery all this worry if challenged in the right direction will be a strength one day. She will be cautious and methodical. Love you, Alison! I miss you, you are a hoot!

lisset said...

note to readers: if you are drinking when you read this post, proceed with caution. i literally spat a mouthful of water on to the screen. i'm still laughing. a fork? a dog? that girl has an imagination!! i'm not sure what to do for such a thing, i might just have to consult my psychologist husband for an answer...

Christi said...

Ok I love how it was a tiny dog, not just a dog!!!! Oh my little Emers. This is awesome. I hope that she goes back to sleeping better, but I also can't wait to see what she swallows next :)

Beeta said...

She is sooo funny. I LOL'd when I read this too! I can just hear her cute little voice saying all those things. I hope for your sake that she doesn't keep this up for too much longer.

Lyns said...

I am laughing so hard right now! I seriously just made Randy listen to me relay your whole post to him. She is such a funny girl! I have no good advice for you. Just wanted to let you know that I'm supporting you while I'm laughing.

Alicia said...

This is great blogging material. I love it and I love you. Although I've got nothing for you. Nothing. Except keep blogging stories like this.

bulkleybunch said...

soooo freaking funny. just like everyone else, a total lmao moment!! she is soo cute. that would drive me nuts though. she is very imaginative. i love it! xoxo

Mary said...

Aww sweet little Emers (really, a tiny dog?!). She is a girl with an active mind. Bummer it won't just go to sleep, but sure makes for great blogging material. Funny stuff!

rochelle said...

Alison, that is great. I, too, loved the "tiny little dog" comment. It's great that you have saved these comments...for posterity, you know. Maybe she just wants that extra interaction with you? How adorable.

Brooke said...

OH boy! This would be so frustrating..funny to the rest of us but seriously. Hm. Reminds me of "My Girl" the first one. Didn't she think she swallowed a chicken bone or something.. ?