I have recently had quite the battle with my fellow co-workers on their phylosophy on tipping servers at a restaurant. Having been a server for about 6 years, I am especially sensitive to this subject (particularly because I worked in UT and got paid $2.13/hr and my livelyhood depended so heavily on tips). I was shocked to learn that of the 5 of us that went to lunch the other day, that I was alone in my phylosophy of tipping. 3 others were somewhat indifferent (kept referring to "that's more than 10%" while one said he hardly ever tips and thinks it is ridiculous that it is "expected"
The minimum tip is 15%, something they all thought was obscene. I told them that as patrons in a restaurant that has a server serve you ( I am not talking about McDonald's) they are taking on the responsibility of tipping. If you don't have enough to tip, then you can't afford to eat there. I was so embarrased and horrified that I told them I couldn't go out to eat with them again if the restaurant had servers.
I would like to hear what you think about tipping. Let me know if I am crazy. And if you have any good comebacks or arguments I can use I would surely appreciate it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's a curse to have been a waiter... I feel guilty leaving any less than 20%.
just stop hanging out with poor people, they are gross anyways.
Get some friends/coworkers with a dash of class and your problems will disappear.
I wish I could tell them that!
Post a Comment