Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hangin' out with my bald mama

Emery and I flew to AZ on Monday. Traveling alone with a toddler is quite the juggle. Huge thank you to my friend for helping me get out the door and taking me to the airport. Once at the airport with my two bags to check in, diaper bag, laptop bag, Emery's carseat and Emery in tow...people just stared at me. I have to admit I looked pretty funny trying to carry everything, and a few people tried to help me. Fortunately, Emery was really good on the plane and the flight was super short.

I came in town to take my mom to her 3rd chemo treatment. I was a little bit worried about seeing my mom, since I knew that she was now hairless. I just didn't know if it would be hard to look at her since she would look so different and it would be a sad reminder of what she is going through. Fortunately, she wears bald well. I don't know if it is just because she is my mom and she is the same happy person...but I don't really even notice her bald head most of the time. She has some new hats and a wig and she gets to change her look all the time. So, we took a few pics of her and her new looks. What's your favorite?

21 comments:

Emily said...

Oh I'm so glad you made it okay...you are amazing!

So, the pic on the top right with the short hair and glasses looks totally natural to me...I thought it was a before picture or something before I realized you took them all at the same time. You're right though, she does wear bald well! She looks beautiful in all of them!

By the way, SO nice of you to spend the week with her...mom are the best!

Anonymous said...

Ali-

I think all of them are great. With the large smile she lights up every photo. I am happy to hear that she is still your same happy mom!! My prayers and thoughts go out to you everyday!!!!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

my fav is the turqouise hat on the right-makes her look younger and spunkier! so glad you got to go support her and that she is doing so well!

Brianne said...

She looks wonderful, and so happy! I'm so glad for you (and her) that you got to be there for her and spend some time with her. My favorite picture is the one in the hat on the left. But I like them all and she really does wear bald well.

Dave and Loralee said...

ALISON!!! I found you!!! My long lost roommate!!
I'm so sorry about your mom-I'm glad you got to visit with her. It's so hard being away from your mom when she is suffering, so I'm happy that you got to be with her. Keep in touch-check out our blog...I'll keep "stalking" you!
Loralee
http://lathamites.blogspot.com/

Christi said...

I too am glad that the plane ride went ok! I totally thought it was a before and after shot with the short hair and glasses! The hats are so fun. She looks cute in all of them!!! Hope you guys have fun!

Kendee said...

I am glad you are in AZ with your mom. Send her my love, will ya? And I do agree, she wears bald well. She looks beautiful in all the pictures. Hope you have fun and take good care of Barbs.

Mandee said...

She's beautiful in all of the pictures! I'm glad you get to spend some time with her! Give her my best and tell her 'love you' for me!

Caryn said...

Glad you are here! I love all the pictures, but the big blue hat is my fav! brooke is gonna be up here this weekend, so i am trying to set something up! Your Mom is so brave!

King Family said...

I love all the pictures but I like bald the best. She looks great. I'm glad that you are able to spend time with your mom-chemo is yucky and I'm sure it makes it easier for her to have you there.

Laurel said...

Your mom looks awesome! I haven't even ever met her but you can tell she is such a happy and positive person. I hope things continue to go well for her and your entire family!

The Scotts said...

I think she looks beautiful! I love your Mom. I just heard your message. I will call you hopefully soon. Sorry this week I am swamped but next week I am clear! How long are you here for?

Birchall Family said...

YOur Mom is so strong and so cute in all the pictures! She looks good bald and I don't think you can say that about to many people! BTW I was so sad that I didn't write your phone number down, we were in vegas and I could get any service to check my blog and get ahold of you! I was so sad!

Chappell Family said...

Your mom looks great! And has a nice round head!! Who knew, right! I'm so glad you in Az to be with her!

Ilene said...

Hey, did you go with your mom to pick out those fabulous glasses too? Or do you just have the hip-glasses-wearing gene? If so, you definitely got it from your mother.

Have fun in Arizona! Your mom looks fantastic and I never knew a wig could look so natural.

The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali your mom looks beautiful! She really is so strong (& so is your family). I am so happy that you get to have this time with her. I can just picture you guys having laughing together taking those pics. Love to you both.

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Hi Alison. I love how positive you are. I like the pic of your mom in the top right with the wig and glasses. I think it looks totally natural. I just love you guys and your mama is in my prayers.

Tara said...

Oh what an amazing woman your Mom is. I'm so glad you got to go and be with her! She looks great by the way...

Rachel said...

Wow!! Your mom is beautiful Alison! I am so glad that everything is going well. YOur mom is one strong lady, you can see it in her countenance! She is a fighter! I am so glad that you are there to be with her.

Beth said...

It was so fun to see you again today! Your mom really did look beautiful-it was fun to see her and for her to tell me I haven't changed! She was always so nice to me. And Emery's pigtails were so cute!
I remember getting in your mom's old(but very stylish) dresses and making videos. We were so crazy! Do you still have that video?!? That would be good blackmail.
Have a safe trip back.

Chelsea said...

Your mom does wear bald well, and I was totally laughing at the picture of you with all your bags, lap top, Emery, ect trying to make it through the airport.