Sunday, September 09, 2007

Impromptu Visitors

This is why I love living in Las Vegas...visitors! My sister called on Friday and informed me that they were coming to Las Vegas THAT DAY! They all of a sudden decided to take a family vacation to Disneyland and would stop in Vegas and stay to play Saturday before going on to the "Happiest Place on Earth" She thought about getting a hotel room to stay, but I talked her out of it (that and the fact the the Video Music Awards were in town and every room in town was $500/night). Why else bother having a family member live in Vegas if you can't even stay with them?

The weekend had a rough start. My sister ended up leaving about 3 hours later than planned (no surprises there) and arrived at our house at 11:30pm. So, our house isn't the biggest and housing a family of 5 can get a bit tricky, but we just had Emery sleep in our closet. I know, it sounds like child abuse but it actually ended up being a good thing. After chatting and getting everyone situated I went to bed about 12:45am. A couple hours later Emery woke us up by throwing up. She continued to throw up about every 20 min. for another 3 hours. I was glad we were so close to her and changing blankets and things in a port-o-crib are way easier than in a regular crib. Finally she fell asleep and Bri and I were able to get a couple hours of shut eye.

I think Emers must have just had some bad chicken or something because she has been happy and normal ever since. So, we went swimming, went out to lunch, did a little shopping (I found Emery the cutest little Bee costume for Halloween, I am so excited!) and then on to the beloved splash park. Emery had so much fun with her cousins. Also, we found a super yummy Thai restaurant by our house and got take-out for dinner (I just love finding new restaurants). It was a such a happy day!

Since they are going to Disneyland and will be meeting all the Princesses and Disney Characters, my sister got fun dress-ups for the kids to wear to the park. They even brought one for Emery! (It is a little big and she kept tripping on it, but I am sure she will love it soon enough.)
It was fun that we all fit in my sisters car. Emery loved that they had a show for her to watch while we were driving. She kept pointing at the screen and said "Show, show!" But she refused to wear the headphones.
Emery found new interest in her toys when her cousins were there to play with. This is about the only picture I got of my nephew all weekend, he is one active little guy. It will be fun to see he and Emery playing more as they get older (they are 10 months apart) .

14 comments:

Melanie said...

No fun to have your baby throw up all night, but SO fun to have a surprise visitor! No one really spontaneously drives to the east coast ...

Christi said...

It looks like you had so much fun! That picture of them in the princess outfits are so cute!!!! I am excited to see her in her bee costume. What water park was that?

Ilene said...

Is that grass you and your sister are sitting on? I didn't think that grass grew in Las Vegas.

Congrats on being so grown up to have siblings come and visit. It's fun to know that cousins are starting to build memories of visiting Aunt Alison's house.

Emily said...

I love that Emery slept in the closet...why else would we need huge walk in closets? I was sad to hear that she got sick though. I just hate the thought of her tiny little body going through that.

I'm glad she's okay now and I'm glad you guys had a fun weekend!

Caryn said...

How fun! Looks like life in Sin City isn't that bad after all. I just can't believe that people didn't stop in Eugene on their way to ...umm...oh, I see, that's why. Way to live in a destination sity!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

fun! and more visitors coming in october-and we'll definitely need to try out this thai place. it's my second favorite ethnic food, steve's most favorite!

Laurel said...

I LOVE sisters! I am actually lucky enough that both of my sisters AND my sister-in-law all live close enough to see every week. I'm sure Emery will love her princess dress!!!

McCall said...

we put jackson in our closet all the time. sometime it just works out best when you have people staying with you.

Marc said...

DC is much like Vegas... people visiting all the time. It's loads of fun... but sometimes it seems never ending :P

King Family said...

How fun. I loved living away and having family visit. I just hated the leaving part.

The Farnsworth Family said...

How fun Ali! I am glad you had a great time with family. We ALWAYS have had our babies sleep in the closet when we visit family. Walk in closets with light & air circulation are perfect little portacrib holders :) BTW we are headed to Vegas on October 12 for a retreat with some of my sisters and their hubbies. I would LOVE to see you!

Rachie said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun with your sister! Hope Emery is all better.

Alicia said...

You are so cute! I always love reading your witty blogs. I miss you.

Jen Lee said...

Your blog is so cute and scrapbooky! I'm so glad you moved into our neighborhood. Sounds like you had a great time with your family, minus the puking part. So not fun. That's one thing we're loving about Vegas - the constant stream of company. You'll have to tell me more about the Thai place. Yum!