Another big transition happened this weekend - the big girl bed. I was very nervous about this because, well I love Emery's sleep time. Fortunately, I found out there was nothing to be worried about. We moved the guest bed into Emery's room on Saturday after she took her final nap in her crib. We kept talking it up about how cool the new bed was and what a big girl she is.
Then when it was bedtime I brought Emery into her room and she said "Where's Emery's white bed?" I told her that she has the big bed now. So she climbed in. We sang some songs. Then I told her to be good girl and stay in her big bed until I come get her in the morning. She said, "and then have breakfast?" Yep. I went to leave and Emery just laid there in the middle of the queen sized bed and shoved her bottom lip out as far as it would go and looked terrified. I told her I loved her and to call for me if she needed me. I waited outside her room for almost and hour to see if she was going to come out or cry or anything.
Finally, I went back in to check on her and she was in the exact same spot, with her bottom lip still sticking out, awake. I asked if she wanted me to lay by her. She said yes. So I laid there for about a minute, until Emery said, "Mommy go." So I left again. She slept fine and stayed put until I got her in the morning. By then she was happy and proud of her new bed.
I am crossing my fingers that this keeps up. She took a great nap and went right down at night yesterday as well. I think it helps that my child loves to sleep. Oh this is a happy day. Now we can move the world loudest sleeping baby out of our room and hopefully get some better sleep all around.
21 comments:
Oh my gosh! Your baby is a loud sleeper too? I have been sleeping on the futon on the main floor so my husband can sleep since he's got his internship to worry about every day. Seriously this kid grunts and gurgles and snores and whimpers and farts ... you name it! He's such a noisy sleeper!!! Hopefully yours sleeps well in the crib now!
Wow, buddens, how incredibly considerate of you...
loud babies must be in season! haven doesn't cry so much as just snort and get all wiggly and frisky when she wants something. which isn't motivating enough for me to wake up and do it (change the diaper, feed her, wrap her). so she just makes noise till she's mad enough to cry. we finally just put her in the port a crib in the living room, but the plan is to transition nash to the big boy bed in the next few weeks and fix his door so it's not so loud and we can go in without waking him to lay haven down in the crib or cradle. but nash doesn't love sleep like emmers so we'll see how that goes. and unfortunately his wussy streak is over and he's rather fearless so i doubt fear will keep him in his bed. wow. that was long. anyway, way to go emmers! you big girl, you!
Yeah Emery! That's someting that scares me- moving out of the crib. I want to keep Nathan in his crib forever! He loves it and sleeps great and I don't ever want to mess that up! Thanks for giving me hope.
What a big girl. I can't believe she's already in a real bed. I hope everyone sleeps better with the baby out of the room. Ben was also a loud sleeper so he got kicked out of our room quick. In fact, I don't remember ever letting him sleep in our room. I like my sleep too much. I'm a selfish mom...
WOOOHOOO!!! That is awesome! I hope she continues to sleep well.
Isn't it funny how little they look in their big girl bed. Kylie loves her bed.
Congrats! You are such a great mommy!!
That is huge! Good job E!!
Woo hoo Emers! Great job to mommy too! I hope Emery keeps it up :) We are just about to transition Blake. I hope it goes as great...
that is so sad/cute that she was still awake and stock-still... needing you for just another minute or so...
:(
But good for her for doing it so smoothly so far!
Can I hire you to train my kid when it's time?
All the baby noise stories from everyone else plus no sleep is definitely great birth control for me! I don't miss that at all!!! Wait to go Emery on the big girl bed!
Congrats! It's funny how we get all worked up in our minds over these transitions. We didn't move Anna into her big girl bed til Charlotte was 3 months old. I was *so* nervous because she was such an amazing sleeper in her bed. But, she had no problem whatsoever in the big bed, and for the first month she would call out "mommy, it's morning time!" and we'd go and get her.
That is so great! What a big girl! Mikey and Austin both loved their big boy beds...I don't see it going as well with Ty, but we will see!
what do you expect from the happiest baby on the block? nothing less than perfection i assume?!! shut up. indie sucks. but i guess i still love her. love you guys too! :)
You are lucky!! I hope it sticks for you too. I love that she was still awake after an hour. That is hilarious!
That totally sounds like my daughter when Ava first slept in her big girl bed! Brings back memories... She was so scared she didn't move! Then she figured out it was ok. Then a couple months later, she figured out she could come out at night, not so fun! Good luck with that!
That little Emers is such a little angel! I've been so grateful Bridget hasn't figured out, or well, cares to even try climbing out of her crib. I figure when we have a second, I'm okay keeping one of them in the pack and play for the next few years if it means keeping the oldest child contained too. Way to go girl!
Glad it seem to be pretty smooth. Risking a toddler's sleep is very scary business. Good job Emers! Hope you start getting a lot more sleep too.
Talk about BIG girl bed! How did she score a queen size?
Alison--I love your blog. I found it from Emily's and all you guys do such a great job, I am going to need tips for sure!! That is awesome that Emery made such a great transition to the big girl bed!!! Not the case at our house, Alyssa still comes into our room at least 4 or 5 times a night. Lucky for me Jared is a light sleeper and she usually goes to his side of the bed. Your baby is so cute too--congrats, a lot late but I'm glad she is doing well. It was so fun to read your blog and see what you have been up to. I hope all continues to go well!
Post a Comment