Thursday, August 26, 2010

Stencil Wall

Since we got home from our trip to UT, I have been wanting to finish (or start) some home projects. I have discovered that I have serious commitment issues when it comes to home decor. I can't decide what I want or commit to anything so I just don't do anything. We have lived in this house for almost a year and a half and I still have pictures that could be hung, rooms to paint and endless projects. So, I am working on figuring it out.

First, I had to add some color to our family room. It is like various shades of beige threw up in my family room and I hate it. So, I saw this post on All Things Thrifty and decided I wanted to try it. Someone else linked by ATT blog gave me the idea to use Picnik to figure out my stencil.
So, I uploaded a picture of the wall I wanted to do to PicnikThen went to create, stickers, Floralia, and found this image that I liked.
And I played around with it and came up with this.

So, I made the stencil according to the instructions on ATT. And taking some advice that I read on there I bought the Golden heavy duty acrylic paint and stencil brush and started stenciling away.
Unfortunately, the one row that took my all day to stencil ended up being off center. I guess I didn't account for overlap in my measurements. I was very sad, but knew I had to start over. Also, I found that this one row took almost the entire tube of acrylic paint that I bought (which cost $9 at 40% off), hours to do, and wore my arm right out. I knew I had to figure a better way to do this.

So, I found some more advice. I bought a quart of regular wall paint at home depo and a small sponge roller. It bled a little bit more (you had to be careful to have the roller pretty dry) and used the stencil brush to get the edges a bit better, but it ended up working way better. I was even able to recruit my friend Emily to help a couple of the days.
I am not going to lie, it took like a week to finish because I tried to do most of it during naptimes. It was just really tedious and each stencil took like 20 min (and I had to do 70 stencils). The girls did a lot of entertaining themselves. Good thing we have a lot of dress ups.
But finally, I finished (well, mostly finished, I am still debating what to do about the bottom - not enough room for another full stencil, do I cut it in half or leave it alone?) I love the way it turned out and I can't wait to start adding more orange and other colors with pillows and more.

24 comments:

Sammy Pow said...

Helluva job Ali.

Melanie said...

I love it! What a lot of work! The girl you linked to (seizure wall) cut in half the stencil on her bottom row, and it looks good. I think you'd be fine either way though.

And I so hear you on the decorating thing! I have so many ideas but no commitment or drive to do it. ha! Maybe I'll go finish my daughter's lamps this afternoon in honor of this post ...

Ilene said...

LOVE it! It looks fantastic.

I can not get enough orange in my own house. This post reminds me of that GG episode where Michel stencils Lorelei's garage. Ah, everything can be related to GG.

Laurel said...

I love it! I like that your orange is a rusty shade, without being "rust". Can't wait to seee what else you use to coordinate everything together.

And I vote leave the bottom alone.

Alicia said...

Love it. Love you.

Kara said...

Oh my gosh, Alison, I LOVE IT!! I have totally been wanting to do a stencil ever since I started reading All Things Thrifty way back when! I feel ya though on the lack of motivation and don't know where to start. This is huge though and it turned out great. I will be recruiting you and Emily when I finally decide to do it.

Lizzy said...

I LOVE it Alison! Funny thing too, I have the seizure stencil printed out and ready to do for an upstairs wall. But I keep chickening out! It looks like so much work to just repaint if it doesn't turn out. But yours is so cute! I love the orange!

bulkleybunch said...

if it's such a helluva job bri bri, then you should buy her a freaking blender instead of making her bust her butt at costco?!!!?? wtf?!? :) anyway, holy crap adi, you are ambitious beyond belief. i would have stopped after the first step. i suck, you rock end of story!! love it. it is soooo pretty! can't wait to see all your other projects.

Caryn said...

I love it! Well worth the effort. If you're done using the stencil then cut it and finish the wall. If not leave it. It looks fine! Love the idea. I need to re vamp this house. We've been here for 8 yrs and I'm ready for some changes.

Brooke Ulrich said...

I featured you today over at All Things Thrifty!!! GREAT stinkin' JOB!!! LOVE IT. LOVE IT. LOVE IT! Grab a featured button and wear it proud!
-Brooke

The Scotts said...

SOOOOOOO CUTE!!! Can I pay you to do my wall?!?! I would just leave the bottom row. I Love it!!

Unknown said...

I love your wall!! You've inspired me. I think I'm going to have to try this when we finally paint our family room. Thanks for sharing!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

Hooray! You did it!!! I am so happy for you, dont you just love love it? You are amazing my friend!

love your guts
mandi

Sarah Shah Portraits said...

LOVE your focal wall stencil.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME JOB!!!

Emily said...

I'm still so impressed with how fast you got it done. You rock!

Now the picture of you eating the tacos is definitely going on my blog.

It looks so awesome!!! I love the color!

Emma said...

Hi! Saw you at ATT. Great job, it looks awesome.

BTW, I DO think you should do the bottom - cutting the stencil or whatever. For what it's worth, (not much) when I first saw the finished pic I thought, "why didn't she finish?"

Anyway, still looks awesome.

Emma said...

Or maybe you could get a plant to put on either side of your TV stand? That would cover the bottom.

Chante said...

Very ambitious! Seriously, what a project to take on....I would have been terrified of messing up, but it looks perfect!!! Way to go! Can't wait to see everything tied together in the room!!

Nik said...

i just saw u over at att. and all i can say is wow! your hard work and paining arms were worth the outcome. it really looks good. i'm impressed it's all so straight. i've been wanting to do this project but it seems so intimidating. i'm in awe how it's lined up so perfect! good job! ps. good choice on color and stencil pattern!

Dharma said...

hey there, just popped over from ATT....great job girl! dedication or what? as for the bottom, I'm thinking some orangeish tall vases or baskets for the bottom on either side of the entertainment unit, a half stencil would be off balance maybe?

Awesome!

Kyra @ RACKS and Mooby said...

Came over from ATT - looks FABulous!! I wish I had the time and energy and patience to tackle something like that! Nice job!

rochelle said...

Ali, that is absolutely adorable! I love that you used orange, too. You should post pics when you get the room completely done so we can enjoy your talents. ;)

Little Lovables said...

wonderful! I think cutting the design in half for the bottom will be perfect. if you look at damask wallpapers, that is what happens in the design as well