Friday, January 21, 2011

Emery Lost a Tooth

Emery has had a loose tooth since before Christmas and finally on Wed. night I pulled it out. She has loved telling all her friends, neighbors, doctors, grocery store attendants, etc. that she has a loose tooth. But as cool as she thought having a loose tooth was and the idea of the tooth fairy was pretty exciting, she was very nervous about the actual tooth coming out.

It has been ready for awhile but Emery was scared of the unknown and refused to get that thing out. Finally, after seeing how very loose it was and bargaining with her for days I had to turn to threatening with her biggest fear. That's right, I told her it was so loose she could swallow it in the night (I am the best mom).

So, she cried, I got a tissue to get a better grip, Brian told me I was traumatizing her. It was good times. Finally, as she screamed, "Don't take it out, Don't get my loose tooth!" I showed her that it was done and already in my hands. Emery laughed/cried, "That's so silly. It didn't even hurt. I can't believe you got it out, I didn't feel it." All this while blood coated her teeth and I felt triumphant. Brian was still appalled by my behavior but congratulated Emery. We found a plastic bag to put the tooth under her pillow and Emery went to bed feeling pretty cool.

The next morning, instead of a tiny tooth was a pocket of change and Emery was thrilled. Totally worth it.

PS - don't mind the red swollen eyes in the pic, she has been super sick all week and this has definitely been the highlight. Seriously, this month has been on and off (mostly on) sickness for us and we are so tired of it. Can we be done please?

9 comments:

Christi said...

I can't believe she already lost a tooth! And I can't believe that you told her she would swallow it :) I hope she feels better soon!!!!!!

Chante said...

Ummm, we did the EXACT same thing. Ava was terrified to have it pulled. The first tooth I did the same thing and it popped out without Ava even knowing it. Of course there were tears beforehand of the mere thought of it being pulled. Her latest one was by far the hardest...so it does not get easier. WE (Briant was with me and maybe even meaner) told her she could swallow it in the night and had to pull. So, with a tissue in hand I tried forever to pull and just couldn't get it out. So, Briant full on ripped it out and she was finally happy. It was a big ordeal. Good luck!

P.S. Ava has the same tooth fairy bag.....ha ha.

Emily said...

I didn't even know she had a loose tooth!!! Sometimes I feel like you're leaving me out of some of the most important details...dance recitals, loose tooth...I need to know these things!

Congrats Emmers! Way to be tough.
My mom loves to pull teeth. I think it's gross. Was it gross?

bulkleybunch said...

indie will be so jealous! and her poor little eyes, she looks so sick. tell her we love her like crazy. xoxo

Melanie said...

Is that young to lose a tooth? Or maybe my daughter is just old to have not lost one yet? Although her cousin convinced her a few years ago that the gap between her two front teeth is there because she lost a tooth (that never grew back I guess?) I have tried numerous times to convince her that it's just a gap and that no extra tooth is missing. I've shown her pictures, shown her her brother's identical gap and still - after about 2 years she's just starting to warm up to the idea that maybe ... just maybe she really never lost a tooth! Maybe when she does and she sees the blood and feels it she'll realize she's never been through that before.

Alicia said...

You ARE the best mom.
I love it.

Aimeeable said...

So darling! Iz keeps asking me when she's going to lose a her first tooth. Seems like every other kid in her kindergarten class has that sweet little jack-o-lantern smile.

Kara said...

I'm so sorry that your kids have been sick too! What a crappy time to be sick, when the weather has been nice enough to play outside! I hope you are all getting better. I cannot believe Em already lost a tooth! That's crazy to me! Seems like they were just getting their teeth, it's too soon to lose them already! I HATED getting my teeth pulled- I remember it was traumatizing to me too! Glad it turned out "silly"!

Dave and Loralee said...

so I finally got caught up on, oh, about the last YEAR of your blog. I haven't been checking blogs or been very good about updating our own. But I LOVED reading about everything! Congrats on the pregnancy and a BOY! You look like you're enjoying life and being the positive, fun person you've always been!