I used to work at one of my favorite restaurants, Romano's Macaroni Grill. I knew it was a good restaurant because I worked there for 3 years and still liked to eat there. When I finally left it was kind of bitter-sweet. I was so sick and tired of working in the food service industry (had been doing it for 6 years) and fed up with crappy Utah tippers, and the chincy $2.13/hour, and dumb managers, and working every weekend, yada yada yada. But I was really sad to leave because I had a lot of really good friends there. Most of them were married men so it wasn't really appropriate for me to call and keep in touch, and although we often hung out as couples, I knew that once I quit I was out of the loop becuase all the boys were closer friends than I was. I also was going to miss eating Macaroni Grill every day (even if it did mean I would lose a little weight, I still miss that chocolate cake)
Then I moved to Eugene and there isn't a Macaroni Grill anywhere. Not even in Portland. I started to really crave the place. I hadn't been there in years, so this past weekend I got to pick where we would go out to eat with my family and I picked the mac grill. I was kind of excited and kind of hoped I would see someone I knew (actually one of my old friends I had heard became the GM, so I was hoping I would get hooked up). Well, right when I walked in I saw one old co-worker (not a buddy, but a friend nonetheless). And he looked at me in surprise and said, "I am so embarrassed that you are seeing me here!" Darn right it is embarrassing! 3 years later and you are still working at the Macaroni Grill? After we sat down this friend proceded to spill his guts. Telling the table that he's shooting blanks, wants to go to Duke even though he hasn't taken the LSAT yet, and then some story about the servers will get fired if they make a dish (my favorite dish) that isn't on the menu anymore. That was a little too much for me. Then I found on the menu that half of my favorite dishes were taken off. Then another old co-worker came to the table. He happens to be the first gay person I have been friends with. It was kind of fun to see him, but I had to shush the fam when they started talking about Lance Bass's coming out of the closet. The bread wasn't good and hot from the oven. My dish was only so so. I didn't have room for my dessert. Oh, and the friend manager wasn't even there. All in all is was ok, but not the wonderful dining experience my heart was desiring. My craving was gone but it hadn't been satifying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Nice to have you posting again young lady! Entertaining post by the way... Here are my initial reactions:
1) What about Becky Wilson? You keep in touch with her? I know BA loves her. (If you want her number/email, I've got it).
2) Not craving it anymore, eh? Maybe being married to "Tree Room" BA has turned you into a food snob.
3) Nice "I'm tolerant" plug for yourself by the way. He's probably someone you bring up in conversation about gays. "Well, I had a good friend from the Macaroni Grill that was gay, you know..."
Actually I don't bring up my gay friend hardly at all. I am not trying to come across like he is my gay best friend. It was just interesting seeing him. He has really fattened up and has a lip ring in his flavor savor. Poor guy. But he was cute and loved little Emers.
Oh, and don't get Brian started on Becky Wilson. I can't remember the last time I saw her. And I am totally married to a food snob and would have much rather gone to the Tree Room, but we were with all the fam. So sad!
Marc, Does Becky's name in your PDA still have a "special" message by it?
Ali, the impotent waiter went into a lot more detail then you told us. "Well my wife had a kid before we got married so we know it isn't her problem..."
Speaking of gays, is X-Men a gain analogy for the battle for gay rights? I think so. Think about it, some gays are comfortable with who they are and want to live in harmony with the straights. Some gays really wish they were straight and want a "cure". And some gays, like Magneto (who in fact is really gay) are too gay and NEED a cure. Wow, X-MenIII is quite a movie.
Nice analogy BA! I never thought of it that way. Maybe you should post more often right after seeing a comic book movie so we could get more insight on the deeper meaning.
So, Marc? Why is Becky so special to you?
I am really glad you posted too... I think X-Men III is really the precursor to the future gay movement. One thing I couldn't figure out is if Jean Gray is supposed to be a flaming lesbian in the movie, or the evil republicans... Can anyone help?
i don't know, but she should have worn less clothes.
Ali - I've always been friends with ole' Beck-O. I have no clue what 'special' designation Brian is talking about though.
BA - X-Men is totally an analogy for gays (and anyone else who is 'different')... I thought the gay parallels in that storyline was pretty heavy-handed, kind of took away from the movie in my mind because it only gave it a pretty superficial treatment.
TFB - The ones forcing the cure were the evil Republicans of course. Jean Gray was the Libertarian.
You guys are ruining X-Men for me. I really want to see it but don't want to have to think about some gay analogy. Thanks a lot!
Well it would be alright if they developed the complexity of the decision and its consequences (both good and bad) more... but as it is, it's a little more of a "we're here, we're queer, get used to it."
Don't get me wrong though, I thought the movie was fun... just not as good as the 2nd one.
I would have to 2nd marc, I thought the first 2 were a little bit better, but it was still entertaining. I'm actually surprised that I even enjoyed it at all, tfb and ba somehow manage to ruin almost every movie you see with them!
Post a Comment