You know the classic songs that have a girls name in it, like Sarah, 867-5309 (Jenny, Jenny who can I turn to), Sheri, Sheri Baby or Joanna, I love you. You are supposed to start singing as you read those. When I was younger I really wanted my own song. I think the last one really got to me because I have a sister named Joanna and I always wanted that to be my name (then people could call me Jo).
So, I started searching for songs that had my name in it. Wasn't always easy and many aren't really the message that I was hoping my tribute song would be, but here they are:
Allison Road by Gin Blossoms. This came out in Junior High and I was just so excited that this song had my name in it. I bought the CD. The rest of the CD pretty much sucked, but I was just excited to sing my name all over town. Plus it was on the radio so it made me even more famous.
You can call me Al by Paul Simon. This was my theme song in 9th grade. I thought it was great, even though Al was the guy - I didn't care 'cuz if you'll be my body guard I can be your long lost pal. I can call you Betty and Betty when you call me you can call me Al, you can call me Al. Can't get better lyrics than that.
Alison's Starting to Happen by Lemonheads. My friend knew my obsession with trying to find a good song with my name in it and so she put this on a classic mix tape that she made me. (Thanks Kendee). I loved the song. Sadly the mixed tape got lost.
Alison by Elvis Costello. In college, as I sat there complaining one day that there are no good songs tributed to me, my good friend introduced me to Elvis Costello. While I am not an Elvis Costello fan by any means (not that I hate him, just apathetic), I was thrilled that he wrote a song for me and even spelled my name right.
So, as you can see there are some songs tributed to me. I am such a lucky girl! Please add to my list if you know anymore. Or make me jealous by telling me the way cooler songs that are tributed to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
No cool songs tributed to me... but I've run into trouble showing songs named after other people to them before... I played a song called Rebecca by the Pat McGee Band to my little sister Rebecca, but the lyrics weren't as flattering as I thought and she got all offended.
You can call me Al is a funny song. I had it stuck in my head once for weeks. It was very entertaining.
John made a CD once while we were dating (back in the good old days) with Goodnight Elisabeth by Counting Crows on it. It sounds like every other counting crows song but it's not too bad. He's also dedicated Hazel Eyes from the Darkness to me. He's such a romantic...
That is precious. I forgot about the two brown eyed songs that I like to think of as a tribute to me. (really I just like to pretend my brown eyes aren't the total poop that they are). But you can't beat the Darkness with Burl Ives "Beautiful Brown Eyes" so I guess you win.
Marc, most of my tribute songs are not flattering at all. Your sister should just get over it. I mean Elvis Costello says, his "Alison,aim is true" and I think he is talking about his accuracy with a 22 or something.
I messed that up - it goes, "Alison, my aim is true" You get the picture.
Maybe he's warning her about his aim because he's going to a)pee on her or b)hit her with a cupid's arrow. I vote for the cupid's arrow!
Songs for me:
"Angie" Rolling Stones
My friends dad would always sing this song to me and I would look at him like he was crazy. (this was during my hard core Prince and Mariah Carey-only days, I was sadly limited).
"Round the way girl" LL Cool J
Lisa, ANGELA, pamela, renee I love you youre from around the way.....
I know its stretching but as a pre-teen I felt so cool every time I heard LL drop that line.
You are cool. And to have a Rolling Stone song totally rocks. I have a neice named Rubie and we always sing "Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday" She looks at us like we are crazy, but someday she'll get it.
There's a song dedicated to me that goes, "what a man what man what a man what a mighty fine man" and then some other stuff about how sweet I am.
Then Shakira sings a song about me that goes, "underneath your clothes there's an endless story" You all know what she's referring to, gross huh, I'm kind of embarassed about it but now everyone knows I guess.
Then there's a song dedicated to me by TLC that says, "I don't want no scrub, the scrub is the kind that can't get no love from me" But the weird thing is that crazy bitch who sings the song burnt my house down a few days later so I think the words were written out of spite.
Finally, some other chick sings a song about me that goes, "ghetto super star, that is what you are..." and when we were dating I was kind of going through a gangsta phase that I quickly grew out of so it's still cute to know she was thinking of me.
Here's another song dedicated to you, "You're so Vain". I bet you think that song is about you, you're so vain.
"you're so vain" is actually my song... so is "do ya think i'm sexy?" "Is it My Body?" most of the songs by KISS and countless other awesome hits. I can't imagine who else they would be about.
Oh that is hilarious. I don't know any songs that are about me but I am named after "Gone with the Wind". You can't get much cooler than that.
unless you're named after a ninja turtle...
Ever heard of "Jack and Jill went up the hill"?
Its not really a song I guess, but a story with my name in it. Which is just as awesome.
Post a Comment