Thursday, December 06, 2007

Time Out

Yesterday I put Emery in Time Out for maybe the 3rd time in her life. The first 2 times she was too upset to get what was going on. So, I stuck her in the bathroom and waited by the door for about a minute. She didn't make a sound. Then I got her out. I thought...good this worked pretty well.

Later she was being a whiny head and I said do you want to go to time out? She said No! Then she walked over to the bathroom and shut herself in. I am not sure I am doing this right.

16 comments:

Chelsea said...

I have no clue here, but that doesn't sound like how it is supposed to go.

Christi said...

That is awesome! I quite haven't figured time outs either, so if you figure it out, let me know :)

Laurel said...

Ha! When we were little and my sister and I (who shared a room at the time) were BOTH in trouble, my mom would send one of us to the bathroom so we couldn't fight together in our room. Also, she thought she was, in a way, rewarding us in our room to simply play with our toys... Anyway, that's hilarious. Aren't "time outs" just a nicer way of sending kids to their rooms anyway? Maybe Emery was meant for OUR generation. Funny, funny.

Bringhursts said...

Your little girl cracks me up. She started crying in nursery on Sunday so I went to pick her up and comfort her and she pushed me away like, "Seriously, I need my space, Lady."

Ilene said...

Sounds good to me. I would take a kid who put him/herself in time out any day. Unlike mine who yell NO! and "I hate you!" AND then run away from you. The "I hate you bit" wouldn't be so bad if they said it on the way to their time out.

lisset said...

so your little one has attitude, huh? that is so funny how she locked herself in the bathroom. maybe she is trying to teach you a thing or too about time out... or its kinda like that bit when someone says "you're fired" the other person immediately says "fine, i quit!" just to have the last word.
either way, you have to admit its a crack up.

Melanie said...

LOL! That is hilarious! She'll get it eventually. Maybe she's just super obedient!

Ami Bethea said...

LOL! I think that's normal, like they don't fully understand it yet. Time outs never really worked with Stratton, he's too stubborn for most traditional punishments. For Cade all I have to say is "Uh oh, if you're naughty you'll have to put your nose in the corner" and he'll go put his nose in the nearest corner and call out in his saddest voice "I'm so sorry Mommy". Temperment is my theory!

Chante said...

Emery is so cute! When Ava was younger, maybe Emery's age, I don't remember, I would ask her if she wanted to go to time out and she would say yes and so I would put her in time out. She would act all happy about it! I was so angry because, hello it is supposed to be a punishment. She now hates time out so hang in there. She'll hate it someday!

Tara said...

That is hilarious! Cute little Emers. Well I have no idea how it should go either but the fact that she went in there herself tells me that she at least knew that it was timeout and not just playtime in the bathroom.

Aimeeable said...

Why don't they come with an instruction manual? I usually count to 3 before I put Izabella in time out and I usually don't get past two before she stops. I heard her the other day role playing with her toys and she kept counting very emphatically to two. Maybe I should go to three just so she knows how to count past two! As far as a good place for time out, sometimes I probably border on abusive and I hold Izabella in my lap facing away from me until she calms down and we can talk about it together.

Mandee said...

That is the funniest story ever.

Dave and Loralee said...

totally cracking up! that's just so so funny :)

Jen Lee said...

Yeah, we have time out issues, too, and I've been trying it for months. And I try doing the 1-2-3 thing and Gavin just counts along like it's practice your numbers time. *sigh* Let me know when you figure out the secret!

Jenn said...

That is funny. Time out can be a little tricky. Ethan is so funny. He will hit Cole and then say "Mom, I'm going to my room." He already knows that is what will happen, but chooses to hit anyway. Kids are so clever.

The Farnsworth Family said...

Oh Ali! That is pretty funny. Keep at it. One day she really will hate it. Time outs are not happy time at our house. Blakey even get them when he does naughty things. Although his last about 40 seconds they seem to be working. My kids know I am mean business when I threaten the "eternal time out" though. Don't you just love being a mom?!?