Monday, January 21, 2008

Snip it

We DID IT!! We finally decided it was time that Emery battle her addiction (and mine) to her paci! With a little peer pressure from Emily who also decided to take away her little guy's paci and the notion that this was a 3 day weekend and I wouldn't have to deal with the withdrawals on my own, we snipped Emery's paci. I was so scared about this because the poor kid asks for her fra fra (paci in Emery language) all day long! She loves that thing.

So I tried what many said was successful and what I thought was the best solution for her - I just didn't think that a "paci fairy" would satisfy Emery and replacing it with another toy would trick her enough. But a broken paci speaks for itself. I snipped the end on Sat morning and she was pretty mad about it. Then she realized that she could still keep it in her mouth. So...I cut more off. She has cried a little when I put her down for a nap and asked for it a few times, but overall the wrath hasn't been nearly as bad as I had feared. When she asks I say it is broken and she says "Ooooohhhh, broken".

I am so glad that this is going so much better than I anticipated (I hope I am not speaking too soon). I am so glad that she loved her paci and it was a wonderful thing when she was a baby - but it is time to move on and hopefully she will be over it enough that come July she won't try to steal her little sibling's paci.

And as a special bonus...here is a little clip of the fun dance party we had last night with our little family.

26 comments:

Cara said...

My son dropped his paci in the monkey exhibit at the Phoenix Zoo (where the monkey's are on ropes all around you). A monkey picked it up and put it in his mouth. After that when he asked for his paci we would say the monkey took it. He was OK with that. And that was the end of his paci. He never cried or anything.

Ami Bethea said...

Emery is adorable! I loved her giggles when your husband picked her up. They look like twins in their glasses! Sounds like Emery is doing great. Cade refused to sleep in his crib after we took his paci away at 1 1/2 so it was a little rougher for us but still worth the 1 1/2 years of peace.

Aimeeable said...

We all laughed at your video clip. How in the world do they come up with so much energy?! Way to go on breaking the paci before kid #2. Whenever I take izzie's paci she just steals Spencer's. Oh well. At least she won't use it in public -I guess she knows it's not socially acceptable.

Kara said...

Glad the pacifier situation is not as bad as you thought. Loved the dance party video! So cute! Thanks Brian for coming over to our aid on Sat. It's nice to know we have neighbors so close that we can call you if we need anything. Thanks a million!

C Crane said...

We love Emery! Glad the fra fra ousting hasn't been to bad. Lately if we say Sawyer you are crazy, he yells "no I'm not I have a girlfriend!" We ask who is it? He proudly proclaims Emery! It is so funny.

King Family said...

So cute. It is so hard to get rid of the paci.

Melanie said...

we've been going pretty slowly at the binky weaning, and it's going well so far, but I'm sure we should just go cold turkey and it would be much better. I just love that she sleeps so well and I'm so afraid of it changing! Oh well, someday soon I'm sure we'll go for it. Good for you! And the dance party is so cute!

Jenn said...

Congrats on weening Emery off the binki. That can be a scary task, but it sounds like it went rather smoothly. Also, great dancing movie. So cute!

Emily said...

So glad things are going well with the sassy...no complaints on our end either. Glad we did it the same weekend; moral support is always good.

Sweet dancing! I love how she moves her feet, it's my favorite!

Persnickety Prints said...

Look at your pimped out Page!!!
Congrats on the latest news Allison! Don't worry about the pacifier ali, my boys have bottles until they are at least 4..just in time for preschool!
Whatever works...just wait to you have 3 kids, and you are lucky to have time for anything!!!
xoxoxo
Chari

Jaclyn said...

I hope the snipping works! Anna never took a paci, but if/when I have a kid that is hooked, the snipping is what I will do. There's no way Anna would've beleived the story about the "Paci Fairy." I love that you told her it was broken because things being "broken" is a concept my daughter totally understands at this age. She's always saying "It broken!"

kim said...

Anna sucked on hers even though it was ripped. By the itme we were finally able to retire it, it was hanging by a thread--a real choking hazard. I kept it so she can have it when she is older and show her kids. It is thrashed from her biting on it. She used to turn it around in her mouth. I thought she would be going to first grade with it!!!

Loved the dancing, although it is kind of sad to see her so big. I miss that girl!!! (You too!!) Love you guys!

Christi said...

I am glad the fra fra addiction withdrawl is going well. I will miss her saying fra fra, becasue it is the cutest thing in the world!
I LOVE the dancing. Reagan watched it and started squealing with delight. She misses her friend!

Emily S. said...

great dancin'!! Makes me laugh.

And cool idea for paci weaning... Crossing my fingers for you.

The Scotts said...

Oh I need to do that but I am so dreading it!! Does she wake up at night when she doesn't have it? I love the dancing! She is so adorable!!

Ilene said...

So clever. I need to wean Jackson off of his Bubba. I try to tell him that one day Bubba will turn real and hop away and I only get screamed at in response, "NO! I DON"T WANNA HAVE BUBBA HOP AWAY!"

Laurel said...

Congrats on the paci destruction! I've been EXTREMELY lucky that Isabel has never liked one...

Love the dancy party!!!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i love cara's story. ha ha. and nash just got the biggest smile on his face watching emery's dance.

Bringhursts said...

Snipping it is such a good idea. I'll definitely share the idea with my friend who's going through the same drama!

Chante said...

Very cute video! Good job on the paci thing. Ava still slept with hers even though it was broken and that comforted her for a while since she couldn't suck on it she just held onto it. Eventually it just got lost behind the bed and she accepted that. I'm glad that she is doing okay.

Tara said...

That is pretty smart! Good job Alison! I'm glad she is doing well without it. I remember having to throw away my favorite blanket as a child and I imagine it is something like that for her. Traumatic!

Chelsea said...

What a good idea! She's seems to be doing well without the "fra fra." I bet she has long forgotten it by the end of the week and hopefully long before baby #2 comes.

McCall said...

getting rid of the paci is not the funnest thing. i was terrified to take it from jack but it was actually easier than i thought. i let him watch me cut them up with scissors and then we walked out to the big trash can together and threw them out. then every time he asked for it i told him we threw it away in the trashcan. it worked pretty good. but i still miss the thing - now he can't stop talking! and car rides can be pretty rough, but oh-well... thats what being a mom is - so we deal!

The Farnsworth Family said...

How cute are Emers little dance moves? I wish I could understand about the whole paci thing. NONE of my kids ever took paci's. Guess I am the one who doesn't know how to use them... oh well! Congrats anyway for getting rid of it!

Ilene said...

So Jackson just saw Emery dancing and asked, "Is she dancing like a princess? Is she a princess?"

Cute, huh?

{lizzythebotanist} said...

Emery should put her athletic skills towards a valuable ($) LPGA careeer. Natalie Gulbis is doing quite well on the LPGA, as is Lorena Ochoa, same with many Kims from Korea. As a distaff, she will be hounded by over-hormoned boys, but that's Brian's job as tough-guy, keep-em away dad. Check out Natalie at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evDoiI5Hw64&feature=related
Make sure you catch a quick glance at the father; this could be Brian in a few years, he just needs a Harley and some long, wild hair. I leave you with these inspired words from Goethe: Whatever you can dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.