Monday, August 10, 2009

Stitches


This is what happens when you have a 39" kid running around in your garage and some shelves like this arranged just so.


I guess my instinct that we should move those shelves (that came with the house) was right.

Poor girl. After some deliberation and advice from friends, I took her to Urgent Care to get stitched up. She started off so quiet and still and the Dr. kept saying she was doing so good. He even gave her 4 suckers to bribe her before hand. Since I haven't had stitches since I was 4 I forgot all about what exactly happens. The Dr. instructed me to give Sage to the Nurse up front (wise man). Turns out I had to hold Emery's head and the nurse held her kicking body as the Dr. gave her 2 whole stitches. She started screaming "GET OFF ME!!!" and "I want a band-aid" and bawling. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The Dr. still said she did so good - I would hate to see what the bad kids do.

But really, she was a trooper and back to herself as soon as her beloved Band-Aid was in place. And an ice cream on the way home didn't hurt either.

Now we are back to smiles and dress ups.

15 comments:

Christi said...

Poor Emers!! I am glad that she is all smiles again! We are back so we need to hang out asap!

Kara said...

Oh how sad! Reminds me a little of my experience at the DR yesterday with Nathan getting shots for the first time in a year. At first he was all ready and then, crying and get me out of here! Glad you survived.

Ilene said...

Congrats on completing this rite of parenthood passage.

Glad to see she is good to go.

Mandee said...

Ali- that is horrible, for both you and her. Max had to get stitches in his forehead last December, and it still pains me to see his scar. Make sure you buy some Maderma.

Laurel said...

Aside from the open wound, that IS kind of hilarious. :) "GET OFF ME!!!" I can just see the whole thing. I'm glad she's back to her old self!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh I'm gone for one day and look what happens!! My poor Emery!

Those shelves look brutal, I say get rid of them!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

sheesh, poor girll. when you texted me i thought i was going to be in trouble, since you prefaced it with "right as i got off the phone with you'! i'm glad it was the former owners of your house at fault! glad she survived (and you too!). lymi!

bulkleybunch said...

bless her little heart! looks like indie rubbed off on her a little. they are for sure bff's! miss you guys like crazy.

Chante said...

Nice that Briant knows everything and told me about this little accident...good thing it was only two stitches.....Ava was the same way and freaked out and we had to hold her down...saddest thing. It wasn't any better when they had to pull them out...actually I think it was worse because the stitches were so little and tight and the doc had to get in and cut the stitches without ripping open the wound plus having a child screaming and freaking out....it was hard but the hospitals are so nice and cute to kids......poor Emery...glad it wasn't worse.

The Scotts said...

Oh poor girl. I love the stitches and dress up combo. What a cutie.

Jenn said...

I am so sorry for Emery, that is no fun ( and for you also). You should have called. Shawn could have stitched her right up!

Beth said...

ouch! dressing up makes everything better.

love the pictures a few posts down with all your sisters and one brother. you guys have such a great family!

went to aspen grove for the first time. haven't had a chance to blog about it but i thought of you and your family. what's the deal with no tv's anywhere? loved it but that was a serious drawback for me and the husband. call us worldly:)

Bringhursts said...

I have a scar on my forehead from running into an end aisle at a store when I was a kid. Welcome to the club, Emery girl.

Jaclyn said...

Poor Emery! Anna had 10 stitches in almost the exact place when she was 1yr. I remeber holding her head down while she kicked and screamed. The scar is nowhere as bad as I thought it was going to be. We were diligent with the sunscreen once the stitches were out and placing Mederma on it.

Tara said...

Wow stitches! Poor little chic! Sounds like you handled it well though. Yes let's play soon!