Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mess Monsters

My mom sent a package for my birthday and she so kindly included presents for me and for my girls. There were two books - one about Princesses (very fitting for Emery, she loved it) and one called Mess Monsters. I laughed because that is so Sage. And of course, each girl picked their appropriate book and wanted me to read it to them. So I did.

I soon learned the Mess Monsters book was about how a kid left her room messy and the monsters came out and smashed, ripped, and broke all their toys. I thought, "Hey maybe I could use this to get Emery to clean her room." Well, I didn't need to say much because later that night (after having friends over for cake and ice cream thus making a big mess) Emery cried as we were going to bed that we had to clean up so the mess monsters don't come. I laughed until I realized she was deathly afraid.

So we (read "I") cleaned up everything and told her it was ok. But I kind of loved it. So, the next day I told her she needed to put her toys away to keep the mess monsters from coming. It worked. Then last night Brian said that she cried during her prayer hoping the mess monsters won't come.

I am not sure whether I love or hate that book. But man, you threaten a kid that monsters will come and break their toys and they respond.


In other news, the girls have also recently found the love for making forts. And I just think it is so cute to see them huddle together giggling. Either that or fighting because Sage is trying to destroy the fort. Silly girls.

5 comments:

Emily said...

That's way funny. You can thank all of our kids for leaving the room a mess.

That's a super cool fort!

Melanie said...

Emery looks almost EXACTLY like Brian in that fort picture!! So cute!

Christi said...

I love it! I love how she was explaining them to Reagan, it was pretty cute.
Love the forts.

Jenn N. said...

Hey, it was so good to see you a couple of weeks ago! I'm actually considering trying the Mess Monsters book. Anything to make my kids help me pick up their rooms. My kids discovered forts this winter. We found that Phil makes the best forts, LOL!

bulkleybunch said...

cute story. too bad no threat on earth carries any weight with indie. maybe i should try that book? love you!