This is one of my life’s struggles. My husband and I both like to talk (he more so than me, of coarse). He is a pretty funny story teller and he kind of likes to shock people so it can be pretty funny. The problem is, sometimes when we hang out with other couples (particularly ones that we don’t know that well) my hubbie tends to dominate the conversation. I will hand it to him that, he often saves the night because sometimes the “others” just don’t talk that much and he spared us from awkward silence. I can’t say that I am totally innocent of this crime, I like to think I have something interesting to say when with a group of people and sometimes try to catch myself when I have totally cut one too many off.
Well, last night we met our match. Actually, these people put us to shame. We had some neighbors over for dinner last night. We really didn’t know much about them but after they basically invited us over for dinner then casually mentioned that their kitchen was being remodeled, we decided to get together at our house. I am not saying these people were not extremely nice (they were) or that they didn’t have some interesting things to say (many, many, many, many intriguing tales to tell). It was just funny how BA and I only got a few words in edgewise, and that is because we are talkers ourselves.
After this experience I would like to apologize to those that we have annoyed by talking too much. In the future, hit me if I think that telling about why I grew my hair out and how it touched my butt in the shower last week is something that you want to hear about. I hope to get better in my social skills as I am still trying to make friends in this world (no, trying to be liked does not end with high school). I appreciate your help in this journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your stories aren't bad, Alison. My team teacher in primary loves to tell me all about her sexcapades, which is kind of awkward when we're at church surrounded by 3 year olds. Still, that's not the bad part. The bad part is that she has super cellulite (I mean visible through her skirts) and when she's telling me stories about how her and her husband had to hurry and finish doing because the missionaries were at the door, I just keep seeing her cellulite in my head. It's gross. I won't even tell you about the valentines outfit she described in detail. It makes me shudder.
Trust me, you're stories aren't bad.
Apology accepted.
TOTALLY KIDDING! Your stories are fantastic! I have never noticed that you are too much of a talker. So as far as I'm concerned, just keep yappin! :)
Oh my, what is your team teacher thinking? Does she not know that some things are to remain private? or at least not discussed in the Lord's House? Yikes, I am very afraid for you.
Your own husband seems to forget that some things are to remain in private. In DC he made sure to tell us whenever he'd woken up to a sexual escapade that morning. ; )
Post a Comment