Sunday, July 15, 2007

Good Things Utah

My sister had tickets to go to see the show Good Things Utah on Thursday and invited me to come along (actually I was her third choice, her daughter had dance camp, my older sister Lisa wanted to stay home and volunteered to watch Emery so I was all for some freedom). So, we drove up to SLC after picking up Nicole, the friend that got the tickets for my sister - the entire audience was Nicole's ward because a ward member was on the show that day (owner of Dear Lizzie).

Just out of curiosity...has anyone watched this show before? I haven't. It is like a local version of the view...minus celebrities and the controversy and the budget. We got in, sat on the little metal bleachers and waited for the show to begin. Out of maybe 75 people in the room there were 5 males there - 2 camera men, 1 announcer dude, 1 exec producer guy, and 1 poor kid that his mom made come with her. Lots of estrogen going on. They start the show and it is basically these ladies talking to one another trying to act normal...but it was way uncomfortable. I don't know why, but my sister and I both felt that weird embarrassed for a person feeling the whole time. Maybe it was because cameras were on them and people (us) staring at them, and they were super cheesy, and the producer guy thought they were so sweet (seriously, do lots of people watch the show?) but there was an air of awkwardness there and we just had to laugh.

Anyway... on to the story I wanted to bring up. So, the beginning segment they talked about random news stories. The blond girl pulled out a story she had read about a mom and 19 month son went on a flight in Texas and got kicked off the plane. Apparently as they were taxing on the runway the little boy started saying "BaBye Plane, BaBye Plane" over and over. He wasn't screaming or crying he was just talking and saying these words. The flight attendant came and told the mom that she needed to have the child stop saying that. The mom, shocked, asked if she was joking. Then the FA asked if she had any baby Benadryl and would she please give it to the kid. The mom refused so the FA went to the cockpit and said she was threatened. Can you believe that? I got so mad when I heard this story, my blood was boiling. Threatened by a 19 month old? What is he a terrorist? Unreal.

So, all in all, it was a fun experience going to the show, even if I felt awkward and mad at times. It was fun to play with my sis, and have a break from Emery. Plus, I got a free bracelet - and that's a Good Thing.

16 comments:

Caryn said...

Sounds fun, in a wierd proabably wouldn't do it again sort of way... teasing. So sorry we missed each other in UT! But I am glad you got a small break from E, it is always nice to have a little you time!

King Family said...

I went to Good Things Utah on Wednesday! Personally, I don't like the show at all but it was a fun thing to do with friends. IMHO it is just a bunch of x-pageant girls talking about lame crafts and cooking. They made peanut butter cookies when we were there but they wouldn't let the audience try any. The "airplane" thing is crazy, it does make you made.

Rachie said...

I have watched the show before and I think it is a little lame. Cool about the bracelet!

Mandee said...

So, I have LOTS to say about this post!

1. I LOVE Dear Lizzie's! Love, love love it. I want to live there, and eat there everyday!

2. I love to watch GTU because I HATE it so much. Is that weird? I like Reagan, but the others... I just can't handle.

3. I heard about that story on Conan O'Brien, and the audience applauded the fact that the mom & kid got kicked off the plane! I was so angry. Boiling. Ready to rip someones head off! I posted a link to the article on www.sk*rt.com and one of the comments was "interesting"- obviously a woman who doesn't have children, but claims to have plenty of experience. Whatever dumb girl. I'm mad about it all over again!

Emily said...

Is there really a show called Good Things Utah? I must go see it! And I was so mad reading about the airplane story! Oh my gosh, I cannot even believe that crazy flight attendant. Completely ridiculous!

Sammy Pow said...

Settle down ladies, I'm sure there are two sides to the story...

Alifinale said...

Mandee, I love love love Dear Lizzie too. Such a cute place (we went there on the way home). I wish I could afford to buy everything in that store! Oooh, that makes me so angry that people were supporting the crazy stewardess. Idiots.

BA, there are always 2 sides. The normal person side and the crazy phycho b*#!h side. Grrr...

Melanie said...

My mom is always telling me about stuff she heard on GTU. I've never had the pleasure of viewing it myself though. Now my interest has oddly peaked!

That airplane story totally makes me so mad. People can be such jerks. As if traveling by yourself with a baby isn't already hard enough! I concur on the Grrr...

Christi said...

Sounds like good times! I heard about that airplane story too. Ohhh it made me sooooo mad!

Ilene said...

So funny about the plane story because when we flew out to Spokane to look at houses, Jackson did a similar thing. He was talking to the planes happily but a bit loud but not yelling by any means. The lady in front of us kept turning around and glaring at him. I was ready to pinch Jackson and let her really understand the difference between an excited child and a cranky child. I resisted but I couldn't resist returning her glare.

Does Martha Stewart know about this "Good Things" show? I thought she owned anything with the phrase "Good Things" in it.

Jill said...

I have never heard of Good Things Utah, and I'm kind of glad! Thats fun that you were able to hang out with your sister though and have a girls day!

I had not heard about the plane story either. I really need to get out more, or...maybe not leave my house and just watch the news and GTU.

destiny said...

The only "good" thing about Good Things Utah was that they featured my cousin's diaperbag on there. It was actually to promote the website: http://www.youcanmakethis.com/
My cousin's stuff is called Chic Boutique Bags. Anyway other than that the times I saw some of it I quickly turned it off, as it was quite a bit too cheesy for my taste! That is a really sad story about the child on the airplane. I hate people who are totally against kids!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i think i hate this show just as much as the Miss UVSC pageant that keeps running over and over and over....it really is awkward. if i'd known you were going i would have warned you!

Jaclyn said...

The airplane story ticks me off! Is the story for real? I guess it is but it's impossible to believe. I have never seen GTU (possibly because I'm in Texas), but it sounds a bit cheesy. Sometimes I feel bad for the ladies on the View, so I can see how it might be a bit more awkward. When do you get back to Vegas? Sounds like you're having fun in UT.

Beeta said...

Ali, I think you have the most blogger friends of anyone I know. Lucky girl! Good Things Utah sounds pretty entertaining ;} I'm excited to play with you tomorrow!

The Thompson's said...

That sounds like quite an adventure! I never heard of that show when I was there. I'm sure it's newer but sounds so typical. I'm glad you got a break and are having a good time with family!