This is the Great Room (and only one side of it). Lots and lots of breakables here...
The Kitchen. There was no highchair for Emery so she mostly sat on the counter to eat (because the bar and table have carpet underneath, not so toddler friendly). More breakables for her to grab and throw. Fortunately, she didn't.
This is the front little sitting room. I totally forgot to take a picture of the hole, Caryn. I am kicking myself for that. Short explanation - the room has a cold air return that juts out from the wall. When my mom recarpeted last year she thought how stupid to have this box jut out into the room (making it more difficult to fit so much furniture) so she had the contractor take out the box, leave the hole that is like 20 inches in diameter. She put a little decorative grate over it and I just kept Emery out of there before she threw something in the black hole. Man I wish I had a picture.
This is where Emery slept. If is kind of my mom's work room. But it also has lots of scary old dolls. Emery was brave.

As you can imagine, the stuff doesn't end inside the house. They have a 3 car ovesized garage that only fits 1 car. My favorite is she has a storage room of dolls. It seriously is scary.Now my biggest fear (and my husbands biggest fear) is that I, too, have a tendency to be a pack rat. My mother is so sentimental that she still has Halloween cards that her mother gave her. While I think that is sweet...I just don't want to have so much stuff. So, please be my friend and tell me when you find that I have too much stuff in my house.
17 comments:
WOW!!! That is a lot of stuff. I am impressed. Know I see what you are talking about!
Oh My! How do you navigate that house with a toddler? Judging from your last house I would have NEVER guessed that you were a daughter of a collector. Your house always looked so cute and never overstuffed :)
Love the doll room. That will make for good cousin sleepovers when Emery gets older. My grandma had a room called the "antique room" and we would dare each other to tip toe around in there late at night. It was creepy and wonderful.
OH MY GOSH ALISON YOU WEREN'T KIDDING!! I was thinking, "surely it can't be as bad as she's describing..." I am so glad you took pictures, but I too am sad that you didn't get one of the hole. It just sounds awesome.
Those dolls were scaring me just as I was looking at your blog! Emery IS brave.
I love it!!
HOLY CRAP! That is hilarious! Now I admit I love dolls more than some girls, but that room would seriously scare me. Mine are still in my mom's doll cabinet in Washington... (my husband is terrified for the day I get my own cabinet for the transfer) Love the picures!
Oh how I love your Mom's house! I haven't seen her new house, well not so new anymore, but it looks like she has most of it in cupboards which is better! My Mom's house wasn't that bad but it was hard to keep the kids from breaking things. Jake actually broke something very nice $$$ after she passed away and we all thought good thing she doesn't care anymore. My Dad said that it can be mine when we split up the stuff. So I get a broken glass and flowers!!
Wow! That's about all I can say. I would have to tie Kevin to a chair or to my leg. Also, I totally saw one of my dolls in all those pics! I challenge everyone to see if they can spot one of their own. Who knows? =)
Wow. I've heard the stories of her house, but that is pretty unreal.
My grandma had a doll room, too. She also kept old, yellowed wedding dresses hanging on hooks from the walls. We would only go down there during the day. It was pretty scary.
At least your mom loves what she does though. And it looks like she definitely has the talent for it.
wow. that is a tonnnn of stuff. but i think the kitchen and greatroom are tastefully done and actually very cute. as for the doll room.....at least it's out of plain view, right?
That's nuts! The Cabbage Patch doll in the center of the last picture is the same one I had when I was little! She's got a regular treasure trove. I cannot imagine trying to follow a toddler through all that. Good for you. And good for Emery for not breaking anything.
AGH! AHG! Not the doll room Al, not the doll room, I still have nightmares about that place! I have to say tho, your mom does have a ton of cool things--just really, really large quanities of them is all! Gotta love Barb!
Whoa, the dolls are freaky! I don't think I could sleep in that room so kudos to Emery. I do like how the front room and kitchen look nicely put together...a method to the quantity madness. Your mom sounds very sweet.
I think it will just get harder as Emery grows up. My girls would go crazy wanting to play with the dolls. My aunt is like your mom and her grandson asked, "Grandma, why is your house like a museum?"
I am a total pack-rat. I save all "thank you notes" given to me. I am compulsive!!!
Oh, wow! That looks like toddler vacation hell. I'm sure you had a very relaxed vacation...chasing Emery from one breakable to another and trying to keep her from falling off the counter. She'll probably love exploring it all once she's older, though!
I totally remember your house from highschool, I love it! I am proud of Emery that she didn't break anything, that is amazing! Hey do you know what month the reunion is going to be next year? We are planning a big trip and I really don't want to miss the reunion..kinda gay but I am really excited to see everyone. Let me know if you can. Thanks
Wow. Now I have context if I ever start thinking that I'm a packrat.
Can't stop laughing.. I love that you said Emery was brave for sleeping by the scary dolls. So funny.
Post a Comment