Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Mice are gross!


Have you ever noticed how cute and friendly mice are portrayed in children's books, movies, toys? Have you seen Ratatouille? I thought it was cute but at times the animation was too good (ew, the rat hair was too much). Or look at Cinderella and all her friendly mice (thanks Laurel for the segway from your blog). Or ever read any Beatrix Potter books? They are full of little Mice friends.

I noticed this recently as Emery has been infatuated with books lately and keeps bringing us one after another to read. Now, a lot of her books have been given to her so don't give me this "It is your own fault for buying books with mice in them." My eyes were opened to this strange fact as I listened to Brian read to her and say "now, these look like cute, nice mice but really mice are gross."

Mice are nasty and disease ridden and Brian has emphasized over and over that our kids will never have a pet rodent (mice, rat, gerbil, hampster....he hates rodents more than anyone). So, in case you were wondering, mice don't cook gourmet foods, don't sew beautiful dresses, and they don't wear cute little aprons. They are gross.

....and now for my favorite mice story in our family. We had a problem with mice when we first moved to Eugene. We set out some traps (we don't care about being humane to rodents, or bugs for that matter). Then one night as we were watching a movie (in the dark, mind you) we hear a mouse trap go off. We freaked out as the mouse trap happened to be right next to the couch and the lights were off. Brian jumped on the couch and screamed like a little girl. I turned the lights on to find that we had caught 2 mice with one trap. Brian was too freaked out to pick up the trap and dispose of it, so of course, I had to do it. I am telling you when it comes to scary movies and mice, my hubbie is a bit of a girl. I love ya, hun!

You know the saying "kill two birds with one stone" well in our family, it is now "kill two mice with one trap."

15 comments:

Lizzy said...

Mice are scary! A few weeks ago I woke up during the night with a teething Ben. I went into the kitchen to get him some medicine and felt something soft against my foot. I brushed it aside thinking it was a toy. Then I turned the light on and it was a dead mouse. I touched a dead mouse with my bare foot! I started screaming and freaked John out. Once he flushed it I spent a good 10 minutes in the tub scrubbing my foot.

Good news is, we haven't seen any since. The traps have (so far) remained empty.

Uh, it still grosses me out!

Ilene said...

Oh, that is a good story and I am glad that you had that experience and not me. I can't stand rodents either. I swore I saw a mouse in our house once when Dan was away and I left the house immediately and called a rodent guy to set up traps. We never found the mouse again and Dan likes to pretend it was a figment of my imagination but it was NOT. When I called Dan to tell him there was a mouse in the house and how scared I was he so nicely says something about how pioneer women dealt with this all the time and that I basically was a wuss. I hung up on him.

Melanie said...

Too funny about the humane traps thing! We actually tried some once in our old basement, but forgot about them until the mice we had caught started to rot and smell. Gross, I know, but seriously, how humane is that to just starve them to death? We totally went back to regular traps after that.

kim said...

I can't remember if you were here when the mommy mouse had the nerve to move into my garage and proceed to have 10 babies. I went through mouse traps like crazy the next couple of weeks. I like the sticky traps best. I found out that I can get rid of them if they are dead, but still alive, somebody else has to gt rid of them.

We did the hamster route earlier in the kids' life. We now have pet rocks. No poop to clean up. Happier mom.

Halvos said...

Hey Alison! Its Lori...I stumbled across your blog, and I have to say, you have THE cutest, most entertaining blog I've come across--and believe me, I've been looking at lots lately for ideas!(I'm not gonna lie, I'm a stalker hee hee) I'm so impressed with all the fun stuff you've done. I have so much to learn!! Love the mice story..and your little girl is adorable!I love her name too! Funny our girls were born the same day!! Someday we'll have to throw them a little 'cousin' party together! HA! :) Take care!!

Emily said...

This makes me laugh so much because I can relate as I also have a husband with a hatred of all rodents. That story was so funny; and scary at the same time. Mice are so freaking gross
!!!

Bringhursts said...

Wow, your blog is popular. Mice are gross especially because the Hantavirus freaks me out. Don't worry, I don't think we get too many mice in Vegas.

s.lloyd said...

Thank your husband for bringing this latest blog to my attention. I recently discovered that I have a mouse, maybe a couple of mice, living in my car. How fun is that? I found droppings in the trunk this morning, and a salt water taffy that I'd left behind had the wrapper shredded and little mouse nibbles were all over it, they had nicely left it on the drivers seat! Don't worry, all I do when I drive now is think about a mouse biting my foot, or crawling up my pant legs.....Can you visualize that yet? Just close your eyes and think about how fun that is, driving home at night, dark canyon, icy roads, and then BAM! Mouse crawls up your pant leg!!

I think I'm going to put a mouse trap in the trunk and see what happens. I'll be sure to let you know.

TFB

Tara said...

Sick I HATE mice! When I worked at the court in WVC we had a mouse infestation. One morning I found little mice poops all over my desk. Sick! Our administrator kept acting like it was no big deal. I freakin HATE mice!

Tara said...

Did I mention that I hate them? Because i do.

Alicia said...

I love your post! Mostly just because I can totally hear your voice. I miss you, man! BTW I HATE all rodants too... they DO NOT make nice pets.
Love you!

Laurel said...

Oh, I love it, Alison! I also love that YOU had to be the one to to pick up the mice carcases. Or is it carc-i. :)

Caryn said...

LOL Alison! Braden saw a mouse at the pet store and said, that didn't look like Remy (from ratatooee) I know I said, they are gross in real life. I am already working on him, nice...

Marc said...

Killing mice is nonetheless a traumatic experience... I still haven't fully recovered.

Brooke Hunt (aka Mr. Burns) said...

Hilarious! I just love your guts! I'm glad Brian screams like a little girl too! That makes me smile!