Friday, December 21, 2007

Emery's Eyes

In case you haven't noticed...my daughter's left eye crosses pretty bad. Some times when she is really tired we can almost not even see it. We have been concerned about this for a long time especially since my husband had a lazy eye and lost most of his vision in that eye (his isn't crossed now, in case you were wondering). So, FINALLY we got her into a specialist to find out what we need to do. Well, she basically said it could be a few reasons why it is crossing but after dilating her eyes found that she was extremely far sighted and her left eye significantly more so than the right (for those that know eye prescriptions, she gave Emery +4.50 and +7.00 - holy crap! that is bad).

My poor baby has to get glasses and if that doesn't help the crossing then she will have to have surgery. But glasses are a must for the rest of her life until she is old enough for contacts (if she wants to wear contacts). My poor blind little girl...but how in the world am I supposed to keep glasses on a not even 2 year old? This could be interesting. I asked the doctor for any suggestions on keeping glasses on a toddler and she said that she may like them once she can see in 3D. How sad my little girl can't see in 3D!

It is hard to learn that your child isn't perfect - well at least not physically (I already knew she wasn't really perfect). I know that it is more important for her to see with glasses than to lose vision....I am just sort of sad that she has to wear glasses. I don't want kids to make fun of her. My sister who has a little girl in glasses said I don't have to worry about that until about 2nd grade. Well, I don't want to worry about it at all. O-well...there is always something to make fun of for little kids.

In other news...to change the subject a little... my brother and his family came to stay with us on their way to UT for Christmas. Emery and her little cousin Ava had their first little sleepover - Emery in her crib and Ava on the floor in her room. Well, we heard them for a while being loud and funny but finally they went to sleep. We went in to check on them and found this....Ava asleep right where she should be with one little book by her that she read to go to sleep. Then we looked at Emery...Every single book and a ton of her toys were shoved into her crib. She curled up in the corner since the crib was filled with toys (mind you she normally sleeps with only a blanket, no toys). We were laughing so hard! Ava was pretty busy giving Emery lots of books and toys to play with. Maybe we will wait a little longer for her next sleepover!

23 comments:

lisset said...

Poor Emer's! I know it is no fun to have a little one in glasses- I was one of them. My mom had a horrendous time trying to get me to keep them on, but I actually liked them once I got to school. They made me look different than the other kids and I thought that was awesome. I think if Emery has a strong personality it definitely makes a difference when kids pick a target to make fun of- glasses, braces, or otherwise. Remember-Confidence Emery! Glasses are so cool!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i'm so sorry-but at least you are figuring this out now before it gets worse (?). a few ups: i wore glasses from about 2nd grade on and NEVER got made fun of (except some boys called me flat face because my nose was so small that when my glasses were on it sort of filled in my profile). AND I HAD THE WORST GLASSES YOU HAVE EVER SEEN! i will even show you a picture (i've only ever shown a few people it) if it will make you feel better. another thing: glasses are COOL these days and there are so many cute and fun options. i know tons of people who wear them as a fashion statement who don't even have a prescription. why don't you give her her glasses for christmas all wrapped up so she'll think they are extra special. then all of us with glasses can put ours on too so she can see how cool they really are!

King Family said...

glasses are awesome. i have had glasses or contacts since i can remember. i know how you feel kind of. when my oldest was 2 we noticed a black dot on her tooth and we took her to the dentist and she had to get 8 root canals (baby teeth don't get actual root canals but basically they were worse than cavities and had to be capped.) so her back teeth were all silver and her front teeth had silver backs and white fronts. she packed her food which caused the decay and we had NO idea. i felt like the mother of the year for sure....anywho, i was really worried about kids noticing and that stuff and it really wasn't an issue. the kids who probably teased her about it probably wouldn't be the greatest friends anyway....sorry for the novel. funny about the sleepover.

bulkleybunch said...

little emers!! i'm sorry but i don't think she'll hate them. glasses can be sooo cute. indie will be jealous and bully them off of her so then emery will really think they're cool. see you soon! love you!

Emily said...

I'm sorry about little Emery's eyes...but she will looks SO DANG CUTE in glasses!!! If anybody makes fun of my Emery I will beat them up myself!

Kendee said...

I am sorry about Emer's eyes. She will be darling in glasses. Really, I don't think you need to worry about that. It is great that you found out what she has been needing. And, the sleepover story is hilarious! I am glad you took a picture of the two. What a great memory (with PROOF).

Kara said...

My cousin's little girl had to start wearing glasses for the same reason when she was Emery's age and she loved it cause then she could SEE! She was so cute in them and didn't have any problems keeping them on. They helped alot but eventually she had to have surgery, a couple months ago. She is doing SO much better and it was very successful. Sometimes I think things like this are harder on us parents than the kids themselves. She'll be great and so cute in glasses. Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for the yummy goodies!

Christi said...

That is crazy about Emers! She will be so cute in glasses though. They make such cute one now a days. Reagan is going to be so jealous and will want to wear them. If anyone makes fun of her she does have her own gang (Reagan and Easton) to take down the mean kids!!!!!

Laurel said...

Um, that picture of Emery is so stinkin' funny! As for the vision... I feel SO bad she couldn't see! Mine are pretty bad, but the other direction. So to some degree I "get" not being able to see, but I could at least tell someone about it. I think she's going to be adorable in glasses! Kids can get kind of brutal, but seeing as how she is the child of you and Brian, she will OWN those glasses and make them a serious part of her personality. She's such a sweetheart and I can't wait to see picture of the glasses!

Chante said...

Aren't you excited for Emery and Ava to have a sleepover again on the 25th? J/K I think we'll have to separate them this time. They are pretty cute, though! Also, Emery will be so cute in glasses. No worries.

Emily S. said...

Cute ending to an unsettling post... It IS hard to think of "issues" with your own kids... But she is so beautiful and you are so spunky that I bet it won't ever be the BIG problem you dread. Good luck!!

Melanie said...

That's got to be a hard thing. I think as a parent it's always worse to think of your kid going through anything remotely difficult, but when it comes right down to it, it's probably not going to be as bad as you think. (At least that's what I tell myself when I get worried about my daughter). I like LTB's idea about wrapping up a pair for Christmas so she thinks they're cool.

Ilene said...

Now you know why you were blessed with a talent for picking out cute glasses! Emery couldn't have a better mother for this job.

I love my glasses that you helped pick out with me.

She is darling and I can't wait to see what kind of fashionable frames she will be donning on her cute face. What girl doesn't like another accessory?

Funny about the crib. Jackson does that A LOT to Thomas too.

Anonymous said...

I randomly found this blog and wanted to let you know that I had a lazy eye and was extremely far-sighted as well. I had to wear a patch on my good eye to strengthen my lazy eye at about 18 months. I had bifocals at 2 years old. I never had a problem wearing my glasses because I couldn't see without them. But don't worry, I didn't get made fun of as far as I remember. I got contacts in 8th grade.

The interesting thing is that each year my eyes were correcting themselves and my prescriptions were less and less. At 19, I no longer needed glasses at all. I'm now 21 and still don't need to wear glasses. It's a little rough to think about at first, but glasses aren't really the end of the world.

Tara said...

Ali! I loved seeing you today! you and the Emers are so cute. I am so sorry to hear about her poor little eyes. I know that must be hard for you to hear. She is such a doll though and I know she will pull them off well. Especially if she has your fabulous personality. She will have so many friends it won't even matter!

And I'm with Christi & Emily - the Drew will join the gang and beat up people as well! :)

The Scotts said...

Love the sleep over!! I think I told you this at lunch, but Jaimee's little boy had the same eye problem and glasses fixed it and better yet now he can see!! I don't think he's been made fun of yet and he is in kindergarden. Good luck keeping the on. Maybe sh'ell leave them on when she realizes she can see.

Caryn said...

Glad you finally got her checked out! I think the little kid glasses they have now are so stinkin cute! She will get use to them, I promise!

Ami Bethea said...

I know how you feel, we just got Cade's teeth capped and they look really different now. Sean & I were up all night devastated that someone, especially cousins or people who know him well, will see the difference and make fun. It's hard to think of your child's feelings getting hurt, or our own. Luckily we've had family parties and no one made fun or even noticed a difference - I'm sure you'll have the same good result with Emery. She will look adorable! Liz's suggestion with wrapping them like a gift sounds perfect, hope you have a great Christmas!

Mandee said...

The sleepover story is so funny. Ava is so big. It's been forever since I've seen her! And Emery will be so cute in glasses! I love little kids in glasses.

Beth said...

You are a good mommy to take her to a specialist-Courtney(my SIL) had to do glasses and a patch and surgery for her little boy. He is 3now and doing SO great but I went through it with her and saw how hard it was. I hope Emers will be happier when she can see better and want to wear the glasses! Good luck.
The pic of Emery in the crib made me laugh out loud! love it!
reagan just started climbing out of her crib and i am in denial about it.
ok-delete this novel now.
merry christmas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali Emer's is so cute. That is hard that her eye sight is bad, but how cool that it is so easily corrected!!! I love to see little kids with their cute little glasses... you are such a cute mom and you will have Emery loving her new little "fashion accessory" in no time!

Anonymous said...

love to be in bed with Ava her little bum would be so tight, reach around and play with herpussy while I bumf--k her