These boys were best friends in high school and up to no good at the time and now look at them being dads. I love it!
Then out of pure laziness because I wanted to just sit at home in my PJ's for New Year's Eve we had a little party at our house to ring in 2008. We mostly just ate and played Guitar Hero (and a few awesome rounds of Mafia). But it was fun to have friends over and watch the fireworks at the Strip from my kitchen window. We sure invited the right people as one friend brought a chocolate fountain and the other a movie style popcorn maker. Yummy!

It also worked out great as we all had little kids that we found a quiet place for each of them to sleep in their pack-n-play. My favorite was Sawyer (who Emery has a major crush on BTW, she asks for him all the time) was sleeping in the laundry room.So, that's it I am done with parties and holiday craziness. I am ready to make some goals and kick off this New Year. Here are some of the major goals for our family this year:
Brian - to stop drinking soda. I have been nagging him about this for years. Well, he has gone 2 days and those who know him know...this is a big deal! I am proud of you babe and I am sure the headaches will stop soon enough.
Emery - she doesn't know it yet but her goal this year is to no longer use a paci (or fra fra as she calls it). I told myself that I would give her free reign with it until she was 2. Well, she turns 2 in less than 2 months. Oh, I am scared for this one.
Me - I have a million things that I would like to improve about myself but the biggest one that I am finding myself having trouble with lately is patience with my family. So, I hope to be a more patient wife and mother this year and not let little things get me so wound up (like Emery's constant whining and Brian's inability to wipe counters).
I hope you all had a great end to this never ending holiday season and that you have a wonderful 2008.
22 comments:
Ooohhhh--no soda for Brian. That is huge!!!! Good luck on that one. Hopefully there isn't a 7Eleven 2 seconds from your house.
Good luck on the paci thing too. Anna was the only one to have one, but she didn't want to let it go.
I love New Year's resolutions. I don't always keep them, but I like the idea of starting fresh. This year I am waiting until the kids go back to school. It seems a bit much to try with chaos going on around me. So our new year officially starts the 8th when all 4 go back to school.
You should add "wipe counters" to Brian's list of resolutions. However, the soda thing sounds tough enough. Dan is the SAME way with soda and/or caffeine. He quits them about 20 times per year. But inevitably he gets back on board- especially those energy drinks like Monster. I honestly don't mind because he drives so much for his job and I do want him to be awake. He has drastically cut down on 7-11 and Mountain Dew runs this past year so there is hope for Brian.
Wow, I got wordy.
You are just so cute! Maybe when you aren't having a hectic trip to UT, we could get together. I would love it-- but I totally realize that life is crazy when you are on vacation. :)
I love the resolutions and I LOVE the glasses! She looks so cute in them!
Who knew regular people could own their own chocolate fountain??!! That's fantastic and I think I'm adding it to my Christmas list for this year!
I'm coming over to play GH ASAP!!
I'm sad I missed your fun new years party! Easton was sick so I was holding him in the rocking chair all alone in an empty house to ring in the new year. He doesn't do that often, so it was kinda nice. I'm jealous of your popcorn though...YUMMY!!!
I'm sad that Brian is quitting soda...Steve bought a bunch since he was a bachelor this week, and he probably needs Brian to help him drink it.
OK, Allison. I think I fixed my blog so the word verification thing doesn't come up. You're going to have to teach me more about this blogging. My blog doesn't look cute like yours. BYW- Emery's glasses are way cute! And congrats on the pregnancy. You have hid it well. I heard you say once you pop out at 6 weeks! Good luck with the resolutions and anytime you want someone to help you play with your new toys (Wii or GH) I'm GAME!
so fun! i love chocolate!
it is weird to see Jon's brother at your house...such a small world out there.
good luck on your resolutions-i still need to make some.
Alison,
It was so fun to ring in the New Year with you guys. Thanks for hosting! I love the picture of soy in the laundry room!
Way to make some resolutions! We haven't quite done that yet...we'll get to it on Monday! That looks like you had so much fun with your friends. We went into the girls' bedroom upstairs and watched some fireworks. Woo-hoo!
Good luck with the paci thing. I searched everywhere online for ideas and then was afraid to take it away because we were moving so much and then she bit off her paci and it all worked out! (she still slept with her broken paci for a few weeks)
I hear ya on the holidays never ending. My mom has definitely overstayed her welcome! She is leaving tomorrow!
You guys are such party animals! Thanks for having us over for News Years, it was a blast.
John has the same goal as Brian! He's gone 3 days, and just told me this last night! That means it was his own idea, but I have been nagging him about it forever!
Looks like there are guitar heroes everywhere!
We do need to get together! DO you have my "Book of a Thousand Days"?
Hey Alison,
It lisa sonnenberg. Sorry we could not get together while you were in Chicago. Evanston is quite a drive from Naperville. Well, Congrats on the baby on the way. Very exciting.
I love to check in on your fun blog. I too have a little girl just about to turn 2 in feb. She was on a binki too. I just wanted to tell you what helped us. Since my older daughter did not take a binki, I was not sure how to approach the whole ending the binki thing. My oldest duaghter had a stuffed animal that she LOVED. She took to it like I guess Ally took to her binki. She still HAS to have it today. I think it is so cute. So, anyway I got thinking about it and realized Ally needed some other source of comforting tool. So about 1 month before I took it away, I bought her a blanket. I would put it with her when she would lay down to sleep. She really did not care for it for awhile, but, I just kept giving it to her. She eventually took to it and now HAS to have it. So , when it came time to take away the binki at 17 months, it did not even phase her.
Sorry for the lengthy comment. Just wanted to share my SUCCESS story with you. (smile).
Good luck.
Lisa
If I remember correctly, Brian *ALWAYS* had a huge cup of soda in his hand every time he came over. Two days is great!! Baby steps.
As for the pacifiers, my sister-in-law snipped about half an inch off all of the ends of the pacifiers in their house, and in about two weeks her son had lost interest in them--although he was very upset when he first learned of the change of his pacies.
Good luck with yours! I've been working on the whole patience thing for a while now too.
I like your goals. When we took Bradens paci away we blamed it on the dentist... gee, I wonder why he hates going now? As for more patience, I had that resolution once, Prozac worked wonders for me! HA!
Ali you are so cute. The parties sound like so much fun! I love the goals. The fam and I always sit down and make new ones each year too. Dave and I print them out and put them on our mirror to make us feel guilty the whole year through :) Glad you had such a great time ringing in the new year!
OOooo, I've heard not to snip the pacis. Luckily neither of my kiddos would take a pacifier and so I never had to deal with this. But both my sister's girls did and hers were easy as pie to get rid of. I've heard of two cute ways to get rid of them. One is a lady next door had a new baby and the new baby needed her binkies. So they wrapped them up and took them next door to the new baby. And then you remind them everytime they aske for it that the new baby has it (or it has been done with a baby bird too in the backyard, the baby bird needed it in the nest). Then the other really cute one I heard was a lady took her daughter to the store (walmart or target) and brought all of the binkies in a bag. She told her she could pick out a new toy whatever one she wanted (reasonably speaking) and she needed to pay for it with the bag of binkies. So they went to the register and the little girl gave the saleslady the bag and she played along with the whole thing. Then they left the binkies and she never asked for them again.
Cute ideas, I hope one helps you!
Your New Years party looks like a lot of fun. My family had a big plan to be wild and play board games all night, but I fell asleep putting Gavin to bed and missed a few hours of it! Good luck with your resolutions. Don't tell Brian, but the only thing that cured my Dad's soda addiction was gastric bypass surgery. Of course, if he didn't have a soda addiction he might not have needed it....
We put Charlie's paci's in a zip-loc, underneath his pillow, and the paci fairy left some cars when she took his pacis. It totally worked for us. Good luck!
Just read all your posts! Congrats on the being prego! That is so exciting! Love all the christmas pictures..looks like good times! good luck with the paci..that is always so hard. Um as for the soda goal, that so should be mine, but I already know that I would just be setting myself up for major failure! If you can teach your hubby how to wipe counters let me know..mine has the same prob.!
Can I just say that Emery looks so stinking cute in her glasses!! I love them!
Yowza... Guess it's been a few years since I've seen him... but Josh Nelson's packed on a few pounds.
Post a Comment