Monday, March 30, 2009

What's happening

My blog is dying but I refuse to let it go. It is the only place I record stuff about my kids and have my own little rants so I gotta keep on keeping on. So, here is a little bit about what's happening in our neck of the woods.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
Picture and recipe stolen from here

Seriously, these are heavenly and thank you Emily for coming over so we could make them.

Grocery Smarts and Never Pay Retail.

I went to the Grocery Smarts class a while ago and got all excited to cut my grocery bill in half. I mean, if I could save $50 on groceries then I could spend it on fun things like clothes, or shoes house stuff. However, getting excited and actually following through are two very different things, especially for me who rarely follows through. List making, coupon clipping, and bargain hunting all together sounds like a lot of work and kind of gives me anxiety. But, I finally bucked up and started it and and today I had a rewarding receipt - spent $56.09 and saved $64.85. And I even have 2 free gallons of milk coupons for next time!

I also started reading the Never Pay Retail blog and I tell you that girl knows her deals. She updates like 10 times a day with tons of bargains and links to get the coupons. She makes it easy for the lazy ones like me.

Made

I wish I was creative and thought of cute projects to do on my own, but that just isn't a reality. So, I like to feed on others creativity and occasionally copy what they do (usually, I just look at it and say, I want to make that and never do). Well, I saw this super cute dress on this super cute blog and I started making my own from one of Brian's old dress shirts. If it turns out I will have Emery model it for me and post the pics.

House

And finally, the biggest thing that is on our plate these days is trying to get into our house! We hope to close on it this week (but since we have been pushed back several times already, I don't know if I believe it) and move this weekend or early next week. This month is going to be a busy one, with moving, family coming in town, going to see my nephew's homecoming, more family in town, going to the vacation house....we are just really anxious to get everything squared away. So, if you live near me, I may contact you to help me out with some of this moving stuff because I am coming to realize I have way too much to do in too little time.

So, that is pretty much what's happening with us. I just hope my next post has some good news about me living in a new house!

14 comments:

Lizzy said...

That is just sick and wrong of you to post that picture of those cookies on your blog. I need some.

I'm always wishing I could cut down on my grocery bill, but I too never follow through with budgets and coupons. But I'm still gonna check out those websites. Thanks!!

Emily said...

Amen to all that stuff! Saving money makes me so happy, and hopefully it will get easier and easier. I'm totally proud of your purchases today. Those cookies were super good, but my favorite part was the peanut butter surprise!!

And I'm glad your house crap is equally as frustrating as my house crap...hopefully it will all be over soon and we can get you moved in next week!!

Jill said...

You have been busy! Those cookies look so good, the dress is super cute, and I hope you get to move into your house soon! Good luck.

The Scotts said...

Look how domestic you are! (Is that the right word?) I wish I could make a dress and do coupons. I so want to but I think I would go crazy trying to cut and save. Do you do coupon sense? Good luck with the house!!

And seriously if you have time lets get the girls together in the valley and go to breakfast of lunch on the Saturday that you'll be here. Let me know if you have time!!

Christi said...

Those cookies look really yummy. You are going to have to make them again for me :)
I am so proud of you for the coupons!!! I love saving the money.
I hate all the house stuff, you know where I am when you need the help. I hope you get in soon.
Oh and if you started the dress already you better be ready to get me up to speed on it!!!!

Mary said...

How did you know this was on my mind . . . chocolate, house and coupon clipping!! Thanks for the links!

Alicia said...

Um... why is your blog dying?!? I love it. Don't kill it, whatever you do. Second, can I come live with you and have your creativity, saving bug and awesomeness rub off on me?

Lauren said...

Those cookies look amazing!! I really hope everthing goes quickly for you guys getting into your house, and good job saving money, grocery smarts is addicting!

Caryn said...

I read your whole blog post, but all I can think about is a big glass of milk and one of those cookies...
.
.
.
...Nope still about the cookies...

Crud.

bulkleybunch said...

cute dress! now follow through! i don't even attempt so at least you're ahead of me! :) hurry up and get in your house so we can come see it.

Chante said...

Those cookies look delicious! Wait to go on being domestic and sewing....I want to see your creations!

Kara said...

Those cookies look BOMB!! And I can't wait to see the shirt dress with Emery modeling it. You are so crafty- how do you do it? Good luck with the house stuff and the move- sorry we won't be much help.

Ilene said...

Those cookies look divine.

Now I want to honestly know, is it worth all the clipping when I shop at Winco? Really, tell me because I am lazy too and don't know if all the research will really "pay."

LOVE that dress. You are so cute. I'm all about taking others' ideas and claiming them as my own.

Remember to post lots of pictures of your gorgeous house! I hope you finally get to close!

rochelle said...

Alison, you are getting so creative! I have to say that I have MADE those cookies and they are so YUMMY! You've certainly been busy lately. With the coupons, I have tried the clipping, but we don't usually buy the stuff that the coupons are advertising. It turned out to be a big waste of time for me, but I'm glad you saved more than the amount you spent! That's awesome. Good luck with the house. It's beautiful!