
I hate running. Or that is what I have always said. I did track in high school and even then I hated running (I wasn't a runner so don't mock my stupidity) and dreaded my half mile warm up. I admire those that can run distance while also saying how running a marathon is just not natural. Seriously, if it takes you weeks to recuperate then maybe you just shouldn't do it.
Well, a few weeks ago when I went up to Utah to visit my sisters, I got suckered into watching The Biggest Loser one night. I used to watch the show the first season but stopped because I have way too many shows and the sob stories on most reality shows kind of make me gag. I know they can be touching (and I cry with the best of them when that is the case) but more often they feel forced and like they just want to get ratings so lets film some people crying.
Anyway, for some background info - I have been holding on to a few extra pounds and not loving it but also not doing anything about it. I love food too much so I don't see that changing anytime soon so I thought I should get off my butt one of these days but it just wasn't happening. So, we watched the episode of the Biggest Loser where the last 4 finalists ran a marathon. And I sat there and watched these once obese people run their butts off. I thought about what a lazy dork I am while they are doing something.
So, I came home and called my friend who is a runner and said I want to run with you. And yes, I will get up at 6 am to do it. When I told Brian my plan he laughed at me. When I told my sister, Emily, that I started running she shockingly said, "YOU did?" Now to some people you might think these reactions were rude, but it made me smile. These people who know me best knew what a big deal this is to me.
I don't run. I hate running. But it has been about 5 weeks and even when my pal Ses, couldn't make it, I still got up this morning and went running. And no, I am not great at it. I am still patting myself on the back for doing 2 miles (maybe someday I will get up to 3 or 4). Unfortunately, the scale is going slightly up instead of dramatically down. But we will call that muscle mass instead of the brownies and s'mores that I ate yesterday. But at least I am doing something and that makes me feel a little bit better.
And I did listen to a little REO (see the title of this post) this morning and it was good times (even if I looked a little bit like Homer).
19 comments:
Good for you! Although, I can't imagine you needing to lose a few. But way to go! I'm proud of ya.
holy crap! adi, i'm impressed! good for you. and what-the-hell-ever about hanging onto some weight, you suck. but i love you. :) i'll be your cheerleader when you start running your marathons!
I am so proud of you! I can't believe you eve went without Sesily!!! That is awesome. You are inspiring me to start running.
Wait to go! Seriously, when I started to hard core go to the gym like everyday plus do other aerobic classes a few months ago, the scale started to go up. I figured it to muscle mass as well....hopefully. All in all, it makes me feel good and that is all that matters. It is helping your heart, burning calories, and just makes you feel better....so great! Proud of you for getting up early, too. I can't get up early yet so wait to go for committing.
better you than i. and i'm a little tempted to hit you for thinking you could possibly be pudgy. good grief woman.
You are the coolest, and I'm so impressed!!! Keep it up!
I am also very impressed! Not that I think you of all people need to lose a few extra pounds! I HATE running and it hurts every part of my body. But, good for you- it is some good exercise, and the Biggest Loser is totally inspiring. I love watching it while I eat a giant bowl of ice cream!
i'm so jealous. i love running! at the end of april i was up to 4 miles pushing the kids and was so proud of myself, but now i can barely walk straight let alone run. which means i have to start all over again-that's the thing i hate about running-you lose it SO fast. maybe if my world stops spinning anytime soon we can go for a jog together! i'm proud of you!
Don't worry I hate running too! But I have a goal to run a half marathon by the time I am 50. I think that should give me enough time.
You can do it! I've never been able to run more than 4 miles and a few months ago I ran a half marathon. I also gained a few pounds while I trained for it. Hmmm. I'd like to run a marathon but I don't know how to find the time to run/recuperate on the *really* long runs and still function as a mom. You'll have to give an update and tell us how that goes and what the secret is. Good luck!!!!
Great job! I didn't think I would ever enjoy running but I just made myself do it is not so bad! Keep it up!
congrats! I WANT to love running one day. Maybe I'll channel some ALI POWER. You're awesome!
I am proud of you!
Remember on 'Mile Days' how we would beg Coach not to make us run it because we were 'just jumpers'- agh what I wouldn't do to have that body again...
i know this is huge for you and i think it's awesome. i hope the runners "bug" catches you. i never thought i would want to run beyond 3 miles. it gets addicting!
Ali you are my hero maybe I will get inspired and you can laugh at me.
You are awesome Alison. I have been running too, but I dont have a scale so I dont know if it is working.:):) But I do feel better. 2 miles is awesome girl.
i am way into the running thing too. I seem to go in like 6 months spurts...
keep up the good work, i think having a running buddy helps a lot, so good for your guys!
You are my hero! 5 weeks now! That is awesome! I started running last year- I think our 29 year old bodies are trying to warn us that if we don't do something NOW that next year it will be that much harder! You have encouraged me to keep going... cause I KNOW you hate it! Hooray for you! Maybe on our girls trip in August... (is it still happening?)we should start each day with a morning jog, walk or... go at your own pace- its always great for bonding! Love ya! Keep up the great work!
Way to go Ali!!
Post a Comment