Thursday, July 19, 2007

Update on my mom

Here is an update about my mom (for those who were wondering). We got the best news possible after her surgery last Monday. The tumor was smaller than expected and they took out 5 lymph nodes and all were cancer free! YAY! This truly was a miracle as afterward my mom revealed that the oncologist was less than hopeful at her first meeting. She didn't want to freak us out before she had the surgery, but the oncologist had painted a pretty ugly picture and thought that she was in pretty bad shape. We all are so truly thankful that my mom caught this pretty early and that through so many prayers and faith she had such a good report.

It was pretty funny at the hospital that day as all my sisters (7 of us) and my step-dad squeezed into the recovery room with my mom. She was super loopy coming out of the anesthesia and every time she would wake up and start counting us to make sure we were all there (my bro had to work). We would think she was asleep and say something about leaving to let her rest and she would pipe up "Don't leave me" - so of course we didn't. The funniest was after she begged the nurse for more drugs for her pain and the morphine kicked in she smiled and said "Love is Happening." That has been our favorite quote ever since.

Since the surgery she has been doing remarkably well. I sometimes forget that she can't pick up Emery or anything because she seems so normal. She has had some bad days where she is extra sore and tired but overall she is a doing great. I really admire her strength, her faith, and her optimism. She still has to do Chemo in a few weeks which is a bummer but better safe than sorry. Thank you again for all your concern, prayers, and well wishes.

18 comments:

The Thompson's said...

That is so great that your mom is doing fine and everything went better than planned! That's amazing for you guys! Hope all continues to go well.

Brianne said...

I'm so glad to hear about your mom. I've been through some scary stuff with both my aunt and my grandmother and their breast cancer. Both are doing well now too, but it's a tough thing to watch someone go through and not really being able to do much but be there and pray for them. My prayers are with you and your family.

Emily said...

Wow Alison that makes me so happy! Thanks for the update, we've been thinking about your mom, and I'm so glad that everything has gone well so far. That is so great!

Caryn said...

That is the best news!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Yay!! We are so happy that "love is happening" and all is well! :)

Jill said...

I was so happy to read that! I'm glad the surgery went well. That is the best news ever!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that she is doing great! That is awesome!!!!!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

yay! what a relief! it's amazing what the body can go through. and the mind.

Mandee said...

I love your mom!

Uh, did you see that you won Kelly's give-away! Lucky! I told her I would bring it to you since I NEED to see you before you go home! I need to see Kristin too... I need to see all of the Walkers. It's been, like, 10 years.

Alifinale said...

Oh happy day! I never win anything! This would be a great excuse to see you.

Tara said...

Oh Alison that is sooo awesome! I am so so happy for you guys. I don't know what I would do without my Mom so I am sure that gave you a good scare.

I am just so happy she is alright!!

Summertime Designs said...

ANH-I'm so glad that your mom is doing well. Family is so important during times like this. And I especially love her "Love is Happening" quotation. I hope the recovery goes well.

Becky said...

Ali, that is so great that you have good news! "Love is happening" is Awesome! Hang in there!

Birchall Family said...

That is so great Al. I am so happy that everything went so well! Cancer is so scary and I am glad to hear that she is going to be fine. Thanks for keeping us updated. I love the "Love is happening" That is so funny.

Ami Bethea said...

Yeah!! That's great news, I'm so happy for you and your family.

Melanie said...

That is so great! I love the "Love is happening" quote!

Kendee said...

That is super great news!

The Scotts said...

Yea! I'm glad to hear that things went better than they thought! We'll continue to pray for you! Love you ANH!