Thursday, June 12, 2008

Feeling validated

So my doctor thought I was measuring small (I wanted to laugh at her when she said that, she obviously only saw me laying down) and sent me to get an ultrasound to check things out. I was kind of excited since I had never had an ultrasound this far along and always welcome an extra peek at an unborn baby.

Come to find out...this baby isn't so much small, but kind of on the big side - 80th percentile to be exact. I come from a family where 7 lbs is considered big (and that is a poll of 6 sisters and a mother who had 8 kids with 7 lbs being the biggest) so when I was told this baby was already 6 lb. 6 oz. with a projected 8 1/2 lbs at birth...I just had to laugh. I know there are you brave women who had a 9 1/2 pounder with your 1st and you think I am a big wuss - but hearing that this baby is big just made me all the more anxious to get it out early. But it did feel pretty good to know I am not just making it up when I say I feel huge (or when my sweet husband says he's never seen a stomach stick out further and my dear brother agrees).

Needless to say, I am getting anxious to have this baby. I don't love being pregnant and constantly uncomfortable. So, I felt happy again to go into the Dr's today and find out I am already dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. Woohoo! I know that doesn't mean much and that I could stay this way for weeks but it was nice that my Dr. agreed to induce me as early as July 1st (my MIL would love that because that is her birthday)!

So the end is in sight my friends, and I couldn't be more excited. Sure that just means that I will have a newborn that will keep me up at night and a toddler that may freak out with the new addition and maybe I haven't finished getting half the things I wanted to ready - but I don't care because all that matters right now is not being pregnant anymore.

21 comments:

Emily said...

While it's true that your stomach sticks out a lot, it's okay because it's the cutest pregnant stomach I've ever seen. Not an ounce of fat anywhere else on your body!

9 1/2 lbs was big...too big. 8 1/2 is big to the rest of the world, but since you're going early, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. She'll be the perfect size!

Kiki said...

Ryan told me that Brian called him because you were dilated to a 3. I think he was worried that it would effect his Zion trip. So sensitive...
Hope you feel ok this weekend.

Kiki said...

Also, where did you get your template? It is cute.

Caryn said...

Yeah! Way to be dilated already! Must have been all the activity over the last few weeks! This little one will be here before you know it!!!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

wow-it's getting down to the wire! craziness! of course, i have no idea what all this dilation and effacement crap all means...and who cares if the baby is a bit bigger-it means she's healthy and it also means you get to lose more weight at delivery! woo hoo! can't wait!!!! LYMY.

The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali you are all belly and are so cute. I am so glad the end is in sight and btw 8 1/2 isn't so bad I promise :) The doc usually takes my babies one week early to avoid 9-10 lbers! Austin was 3 weeks early & 7 lbs 15 oz. Good news about being 80% effaced though :) That means your body is working on something!! Can't wait see see little girl #2 whenever she decides to debut!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali you are all belly and are so cute. I am so glad the end is in sight and btw 8 1/2 isn't so bad I promise :) The doc usually takes my babies one week early to avoid 9-10 lbers! Austin was 3 weeks early & 7 lbs 15 oz. Good news about being 80% effaced though :) That means your body is working on something!! Can't wait see see little girl #2 whenever she decides to debut!

kim said...

How fun to be so close! I always hated the end. Having to get up in th emiddle of the night, not being able to get comfortable. I think it's the Lord's way of getting you ready to go through absolutely anything to get the baby out.

I was at a 5 walking around with Noah. I finally convinced the Dr to help me along. I so didn't want the Target guy to deliver my baby since I wouldn't have had to time to get the hospital.

Know that our house can hardly wait for the newest Anderson. Wish I could watch this one like Emery!

Christi said...

First of all cute background! I can't believe that you are already at a 3!!! I am so curious to see when you have her. I can't wait. We are here for you all weekend if you need anything!!!!!! I can't wait.

Lizzy said...

How exciting! I heard some similar from my doctor when I was pregnant with Ben. She predicted over 8lbs and he came out a perfect 6. I was also dilated at a three for a month before she agreed to inducing me. But every pregnancy and baby is different. Hopefully you keep on dilating and that baby comes out big and healthy! I'm so excited for you!!

Melanie said...

So funny, I had an ultrasound for mine too and mine was already over 7 lbs. and that was at 36 weeks (so projecting 9 lbs. at birth)! I feel huge this time too and am sticking straight out in front of me like a huge basketball. I hear ya, sister on all of it! Good luck and I hope it goes well!

bulkleybunch said...

pregnancy is sheer torture just so we can love our babies that much more and not even care about the multiple night feedings. that's what i've decided. hurray for being induced, that's for sure the way to go. july 1 my mom will be so giddy! so exciting adi! i love you!

Tara said...

So exciting!! I can't wait either. She is going to be so precious!

Ami Bethea said...

I got an ultrasound 2 weeks before giving birth to Stratton and they said he was 8 lbs at that time. He came out a whopping 5 lbs. 15 oz! He was so tiny I didn't have any clothes to fit him, even primie clothes were ginormous on him. So take the ultrasound measurements with a grain of salt! The babies are so big it is nearly impossible to get an accurate measurement. Good luck! Cant wait to see your sweet baby girl.

Kara said...

I love your new background! I need some blogging help to do cute stuff like that! I hope you can get through this weekend and then have your baby so you can be somewhat more comfortable. I do feel for you, even though I think you're the cutest pregnant girl ever and I don't know why we have to keep telling you that!!!

Bringhursts said...

Thank goodness you're about to calve that baby, Fatso. You are starting to look like a fat cow.

(I'm really hoping you sense the sarcasm.)

Birchall Family said...

So happy for you! That would be so funny (ok and kinda sad) if little tiny you gave birth to an 8 1/2 pound baby! I am sure she will be just perfect! Your belly is so cute, at least it is the only thing that gets big on you! My face is already filling out and I have A LONG WAY TO GO! BTW someone at the mall today said, "your pregnant belly is so cute" ok so that would have been nice if I was like 25 weeks, but I am 11 weeks people....so sad!!!!!

Chante said...

I still bet your baby will be a little 6 pounder and that they are way off!!!! Let's hope! So, exciting that you are almost seeing an end in sight! I can't wait!!!

McCall said...

i am jealous. i wish i could be induced on july 1st. congratulations!

Ilene said...

Congrats on the progress! Only a few short weeks left!

Two kids, no problem. You just hand Em over to Brian and lay down on the couch to snooze with the newborn. When he is not around, arrange for play dates.

melbo said...

I hope this means that when you do go into labor it pops out lickity split! None of that lying around in pain and starving in a hospital bed crap.