Wednesday, June 04, 2008

How do you tell when your child is sick?

Well...after days of being whiny and not eating much - my child finally broke down yesterday. There are sure fire signs to let us Dr. Moms know when kids are sick - vomiting, fever, diarrhea, lots of icky green snot. My child displayed none of these for the last few days so I mostly just got irritated with her whininess and picky eating habits.

Then yesterday she literally moped around and slept all day. My mom radar knew that a child who lays on your lap the entire time at the splash park isn't feeling too well (I know, I am pretty intuitive). When we finally got in to see the real Dr, I find out my poor kid has strep throat. Sad days for her and sorry to every kid she has been in contact with the last few days.

But seriously, why is it that my child doesn't fever? This is the 3rd time that she has had some sickness where the first sign is a fever (roseola, ear infection, strep throat) and she hasn't spiked past 99.1. It makes it very hard to tell if she is sick until she is very sick. And I am just not one of those moms that goes running to the Dr. every minute for every sniffle (not that anything is wrong with it, it just isn't me).

So, I guess I am going to have to hone in on my Mother's Intuition a little better since my child refuses to give me very many signs. I hope the rest of the house and everyone in nursery isn't infected with the strep. Brian is already pretty sure that he is. I guess that is just part of life with kids, right?

21 comments:

Laurel said...

Poor girl! And poor you, really. Now you'll be mothering little Emery AND little Brian until they both feel better. Though he might be better at letting you know he doesn't feel well. :) I hope they get better soon!

Kara said...

I felt so bad for Emery yesterday. I can't believe she never gets a fever. Nathan always gets a high fever and it won't go away. It always scares me, but the way Emery was acting is so unusual and you know something is wrong. Good thing you have intuition.

Ilene said...

For once, I am not feeling bad about not seeing you and your cute little girl.

Strep throat is not fun. Good luck!!

Lizzy said...

I hate it when you can't tell if they might be sick or if they're just being a pain in the butt. In my case, most of the time it's just Ben being a pain, but it always makes me feel bad when he really is sick or cutting a tooth.

I hope she starts feeling better!

Beeta said...

I'm sorry little Emers and bri bri have strep throat. Ouch! I hope you don't get it. Emery's dance recital was awesome and they'll only get better from here.

lisset said...

poor emers. strep throat sucks- by far my top 5 least favorite sicknesses to get.
hope she starts feeling better soon!

Christi said...

Poor little Emers. I felt so bad for her when she laid down on the cement. I am glad that you took her in. I hope you she gets better soon!!!

Katie said...

Poor little girlie! It might have something to do with her licking the stool at her dance recital. No, probably not, that was totally sanitary. I never take my kids to the Dr either until I absolutely have to. Usually they can fight it off on their own.

Belinda said...

Macy doesn't get a fever either. My doctor got really mad at me once becauce she had strep throat so bad. We had been in Disneyland and she broke out in a rash all over the day we got back. She went to bed and it was gone then 2 days later broke out again. I had NO idea. She wasn't even acting sick. So - scary when a kid is sick and you have no clue.

The Farnsworth Family said...

So sorry Emers is sick! I hope she is feeling better. Always go with mothers intuition... no one can ever argue with that. Try to keep you and baby well too :)

Tara said...

totally part of life with kids! once they get something the whole fam gets it. Good times!

I am so sorry to hear she has strep! Poor thing! I hope she gets better soon because if you haven't heard I live in your town now and I want to see you! :)

Chelsea said...

Sorry that Emery is sick. That's no fun. Perhaps that could be behind the crying at the dance recital? Too funny!

Brianne said...

It's a draw. Cali spikes a fever for anything, but Austin is more like Emery, no signs. When I finally get him to the doctor I'm getting scolded for waiting so long. With Cali I'm getting told it's just teething...what's a mother to do.

I hope Emery is better soon!! Have a sick little one is not fun, for either of you...and I hope Brian doesn't come down with it. If he's anything like my husband, he's the worst of them all. ;)

bulkleybunch said...

give her a love for us! tell bri-bri to buck up. you're with child and tending to a sick baby. you need some tlc yourself!! :)

Ilene said...

Ah, you must have missed my post while you were out on vacation...

Of course I am not waiting to find out what I am having and we found out a few weeks back that I am having a GIRL!

Honestly, I'm terrified. And SUPER excited.

Mary said...

What a kid! Seriously, I would never know anything was really wrong unless Bridget got a fever. That girl is like superhuman or something!

Bringhursts said...

I just called Child Protective Services on you because I'm worried for Emery's safety.

Bringhursts said...

Before anyone thinks I'm a jerk, please understand SARCASM.

Em said...

Ali you are so popular I can't believe how many people you have comment. But anyway I'm glad you took Emery in and hopfully she will be feeling like herself very soon. BTW have so much fun this weekend at the reunion can't wait to hear all about it. LYMI

Jill said...

Sorry to hear she is sick. That is really sad. I wouldn't be able to tell either if she didn't have obvious signs!

And Sean just showed me Emery's dance recital clip. He loved every minute of it! Now he can't wait until we put our little boy in dance.

Cassey said...

I hope you don't get it, it's terrible being sick and pregnant! I hope your little family feels better soon!