While in Utah I was staying with my sister and we were baking (an all time
favorite past time for both of us). She pulls out her baking powder which is a huge food storage size. I am amazed at how much she has and ask her if she actually uses baking powder enough to use it before it goes bad. She looks at me like I am crazy and says baking powder doesn't go bad. I had heard otherwise. Just then another sister came over and so we ask her. She says, "I don't know but I am pretty sure the baking powder I have has been in my cupboard for 10 years." So we google it. In case you were wondering, the shelf life of baking powder is 3-6 months (maybe a little longer in very dry climates). Oh, and do you know how to tell if your baking soda is still good? Just mix a tsp. with some warm water - if it foams you are good to go. Amazing, eh?
Next I was in AZ with my brother and his family and we were talking about butter (do you see a trend, if I am not talking about my kid or TV, I am talking about food). We come from a family where real butter is the only way to go. My sister-in-law's was a margarine family. Real butter is preferred but they don't like how it is hard to spread since it is so cold. I told them that we leave it on the counter so it is easier to spread. You can do that? Sure, I haven't died yet. So I googled it to see if I am going to die from eating rancid butter (and here is your answer Chante). Nope...butter can be left at room temperature because the fat preserves it. It can go bad due to oxygen so it should be covered. Very interesting, don't you think?My friend who is suffering from a bad cold wanted to know if her germs would last the freezer as she prepared baby food that she was going to freeze. Hmm...I don't know. But google did and I found out that "some germs may die when frozen. Sharp ice crystals poke holes in cell walls, destroying them. Other germs are just slowed down when put in the freezer and may come back to life when thawed. "
I can't watch a movie now without coming across an actor or song and wonder what was he on or who sings that. Fortunately, my husband always has his laptop at the ready and we just IMDB it and find the answer instantly.

Or maybe you need directions to your friends new house. Or you want to find the nearest Jamba Juice (btw, why is there not one in St. George? I was very disappointed) Mapquest or google maps got your back. Or maybe you are reading "The Other Boleyn Girl" and can't quite remember your history lessons about Henry VIII. Wikipedia can tell you all about it.
I am just amazed at all the info (sure most of it may not be entirely accurate) that is so readily available. Too bad with such easy access I am not really getting any smarter but I sure know the shelf life of baking powder.
18 comments:
I'm pretty sure my baking powder is too old. Dangit.
I totally learned about IMDB from you, and I use it all the time. The internet is SO great, it's true.
And who needs a Jamba in St George when we have 3 right here in our blessed city? Too bad they are all far away and I have to settle for TSC.
Actually I think there are more than 3...crazy. Maybe they should put one by all that new stuff on Rainbow. That would rock my world.
When we were in St. George I really wanted a smoothie and had no luck finding a good smoothie place. And I think TSC is pretty good.
John and I were talking about Baking Soda going bad just the other day. I was so sure it never expires and he was so sure it did. He was right.
And I've always sort of wondered about butter left out. I buy the easy spreadable stuff, because I think warm butter has a weird texture. It's almost too soft. But the spreadable kind that comes in a container is just right.
Thanks for all the useful info. Now I know who to call when I want to know something. See, I don't know how to find stuff on the internet, I just spend too much time looking at stuff I don't care about to find what I really want. Thanks for the info on baking powder and butter. I leave my butter out and always wondered why it was ok, I just knew it was ok
You crack me up! Where were you today at swim? Can't wait to hear the scoop of all that I missed!
ALison! You always have such fun posts! Thanks for all the great info, and I totally agree about the internet. My life would so different without it! Pathetic!
So I got into the Other Boleyn Girl from watching the Tudors (I'm a sucker for that time period) and then I had to read all of the other books written by Philippa Gregory. She's like historical fiction-lite. But I like her work; they are always quick reads. Have you watched the movie version of The Other Boleyn Girl?
I love the fact that you don't have to lose sleep over who that actor was or what they were in. I also love that 9 times out of 10 I am proven right when our question goes to the internet. Just a little something I like to lord over Kevin. I even have to admit having to look somethingup when I had no clue what they were talking about on SNL--wish I hadn't!!! I do think that the internet has kind of taken away the joy of a lively debate though. With such quick solutions to finding out who is right, you have to come up with more to talk about.
3-6 months? seriously? that's crazy! maybe that explains why my cookies have been so flat lately!
I saw you commented on Mike and Jessett's blog. Crazy! I went to high school with them. Funny! Jessett and I were even friends in middle school. what a small little mormon world!
Thanks for all those useful tips. I'm not going to even test my baking soda because I'm sure it's way older than 6 months if it has now made 3 moves. How much baking would you honestly have to do to go through an entire can of baking soda in 6 months? They should sell it in smaller containers!
This post is hilarious! And now I am thinking I really need to get rid of some baking powder in my cupboard as well!
The rancid butter comment was hilarious.....loved it! Thanks for looking that up! I will now have butter ready and on hand....I will just make sure it is covered.
P.S. I really need to get rid of my 5 year old baking powder!!!
P.S.S. They used to have a Jamba or something similar in St. George back in the day, but when I lived there and worked for Great Harvest we made smoothies there that tasted just the same and just as yummy, plus I was able to create all my own!
Thanks for the educational post! I was wondering about butter today!
Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely be going thru all my baking products very soon!
I love the randomness! You are hilarious. I am totally the same way with movies. I need Brian's lap top to be right by me too. I bet all my baking things are too old. I am afraid to test them out. I now know if I need any random thing answered I will ask you. Thanks ANH!
You are so full of knowledge. I guess I need to be on the internet more so I can learn all the latest things.
HA-you totally just answered some questions I had that I forgot I had! And you read the other boleyn girl? I loved it and started reading like 5 million other books about the era b/c, like you, I had no idea about that time period-did we EVER learn about that? Maybe I really wasn't paying attention in school.
I'm totally like you-check the internet for EVERYTHING! I would be a sad sad sad girl without it!
Post a Comment