Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I hear the tinkles!

Warning: some serious potty talk ahead!We did it! We did it, HOORAY!!! Emery & I survived potty training (at least so far). It wasn't easy and it wasn't without its fair share of messes, but finally it stuck and now I only have one in diapers. I think I just had to suck it up and not revert back to diapers every time she had an "accident" or if we were going out. Here are some of the highlights from our experience with potty training this last week (because I know you want to know, but really because I don't want to forget how it really was when I have to do this with #2):
  • After many false alarms, sitting on the pot without any action then having an accident 5 minutes later, I finally told Emery she could only have a piece of candy when she actually went. I told her I had to hear the tinkles. So now everytime she gets this excited look on her face and says "I hear the tinkles!"
  • The first time she went #2, Emery said, "I'm so excited! You so proud of me!"
  • She even went in the stinky port-o-potty at the UNLV game. The whole way home she said. "...and I went in the stinky potty."
  • We did have one accident at Costco, luckily Christi was there to hold onto the cart and Sage while we made a mad dash to the restroom.
  • Emery finally earned her "fancy shoes" when she had a whole day with no accidents. We have been accident free ever since.
Phew...so glad we survived the last big transition during these terrible twos. Or is there something else for me to dread?

17 comments:

Christi said...

I am so glad!!!! I love it when she says I hear the tinkles!!! Reagan will be glad since they are the toilet team!

Jenn said...

Yeah! Way to go Emery, and Alison. That really can be an uphill battle, but it looks like you guys did great. Congrats!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

way to go emmers, you big girl, you!!!

oh, to have only one in diapers. i've been thinking about giving potty training a shot the past few weeks. nash has shown interest. i got him an elmo potty book and talk to him about it, but then i sorta forgot. if any of you have any good potty training tips for boys it would be appreciated!

Kara said...

Yeah, I'm going to need some serious boy potty training advice in the near future. I refuse to have two in diapers at the same time. I may have to take that back, but it's worth a try. Congrats to you and Emery! I'm so happy for you!

Lizzy said...

That is a big accomplishment! Go Emery!! I want to see a picture of these "fancy shoes." And you need to give those of us who will be potty training your hints and tips so we can get prepared!

Caryn said...

Way to go! Potty training is the worst thing ever for me. Berk is showing signs he is ready, I am just not! Good for E!!!

The Scotts said...

I love that you heard the tinkles! That is hilarious. I keep thinking about attempting to potty train Jake but then I try for a day and decide against it. Oh I am so dreading it. I think I have to set a date for it and do it! AAHHH!!

Jessett said...

WOOOHOOO!! It's it great?? Potty training sucks, but is soooo worth it.

Great job to you and Emery.

Chante said...

Hooray for Emery (and you of course)!

kim said...

WOOHOO!!!! That is one milestone I always dreaded having to deal with but so glad when it was over. Oh happy day!!!I think you deserve some fancy shoes as well.

lisset said...

good job! we'll have to share our potty training experiences when we are done...

Emily said...

I am so happy for you! And proud of Emery! Way to go!

Bringhursts said...

Way to go! But, I have to say you're not done yet. I come from a family of four sisters, so I'm here to tell you, potty training will seem like a cake walk compared to the teenage angst years.

Oiy.

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Go tinkles! I'm gonna use that! Way to survive. Not looking forward to that at all!

bulkleybunch said...

our song is "tinkle tinkle tinkle sprinkle sprinkle sprinkle everybody knows it's tinkle time!" hurray for the cousins! inders just accomplished this major feat too! i love i hear the tinkles!! and i love you!!!

bulkleybunch said...

and holy crap (bad choice of words!) that is a darn cute picture!!! frameable for sure.

Ilene said...

Congratulations!!!!

Potty training is the worst. I hope you go out and buy yourself some new shoes too for getting through this parenting milestone.