
I really try to do my part to help the environment. What are some of the great strides I have taken?
- Out of the 5 times I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I probably only flush once.
- I try to use as few wipes as possible when I change my child's diaper. This is becoming more and more difficult as her poops are becoming "Man Poos" but back in the day when she didn't eat solids I prided myself on being a one wiper.
- I always reuse my grocery bags. They make for great poopy diaper holders, bathroom trash bags, lunch sack for the hubbie, and laundry bag when on vacation.
- I don't use very many paper towels. In fact my husband bought some when we first moved in 10 months ago and I haven't had to purchase any since. Mind you he bought a ton at an Albertson's 8 hour sale and they are a kind I hate.
- I have only gone through one of the Costco disinfectant wipes since we moved in.
- I reuse my Gladware far longer than I should.
- I make Emery color on paper that is printed on the other side .
- I reuse swim diapers if they haven't been pooped in (many think this is disgusting but do you honestly think that the pee stayed in the diaper?).
- I wait as long as possible to do the laundry or run the dishwasher. Might as well wait for a full load, right?
What? That just means I am cheap and lazy? No, I think I am about as
GREEN as they come. Oh, and I have one more big one to add to my list.
- I finally signed up for recycling in my area.
Sure, I recycled like a champ in Eugene where they basically force it upon you - but when I moved to Las Vegas I wasn't given any bins so I gave up. Well, no more being lazy, people. My bins will be delivered soon and may the separating of paper and plastic begin. I feel really good right now.
12 comments:
Hooray for recycling! Good for you, you'll feel great doing it. A little extra effort but well worth it!
Good for you! I'm impressed. I am feeling very wasteful right now. I have recycle bins, but I am not sure what can and can't be recycled. You might have to give me some pointers.
Yay for being green! I'm pretty killer at recycling but I've got a long way to go on reducing my use of wipes and paper towels. I go through a roll of paper towels a week, same with wipes. I need to improve my green skills.
I'm with Liz I am horrible with paper towels! I use them way too much. What do you use in place of them?
Well good for you signing up for recycling. does it cost extra? Seriously I never really recycled until I moved to Eugene. Every city should be like this hippie city in that way!
Yea, I too am a little skeptical of what you clean with if you don't use clorox wipes OR paper towels.
I didn't even KNOW we could sign up for recycling...how great!!
I don't think any of that is being lazy. Maybe it's because I do most of the same, but it's SO not lazy. You're just being smart and re-using things that aren't garbage! So Green of you!!
very funny! didn't they give you like a gallon-sized trash can in oregon to force you to use the recycling bin? i have to admit that a lot of my motivation for recycling is to see my recycling bin more full than my trash bin-just a weird obsession i have.
I miss Eugene recycling. It was great because you could pay for the smaller trash bin because half of all trash went into the recycling.
I read Kristine's blog last night and started to feel guilty... I do reuse the plastic bags as diaper containers or when feeling ambitious (and I remember), I will take excess bags back to the store to be recycled.
Now I feel better about myself.
People, you missed the joke - I am so not that good at being environmentally friendly. I just like to pretend that the little things that I would do anyway are good enough. But thanks for making me feel good (and dirty because I don't use as many wipes as you do)
What, swim diapers? I have never heard of such of thing to save them! I think you're crazy! I know the pee may not stay in them, but the yucky chlorine water in them and all. Whatever, I've never tried it so I do not know how they save and what they look like so I guess I shouldn't be talking......and I use like a role of paper towels a week. What is wrong with me? You need to show me how to do things so I can save more!
(Ilene, I totally didn't mean to make you feel guilty.:-) I got the joke Alison, but, actually I kept getting more and more impressed with everything you included on your list. Once I watched my brother-in-law change his son's diaper and use like nine wipes, so hey, if you've gotten it down to one, I'm very, very impressed.
yea, i think i could work on my benig a little more "greenish". i go through way too many paper towels and disinfectant wipes. and i could be much better at recycling. i usually think its just too big of a pain to deal with. but really - you ahve inspired me, i should get my act together.
Post a Comment