The hubs and I will be celebrating 6 years of wedded bliss this coming Saturday. I don't know how big of a deal you and your spouse make of your anniversary but I am starting to think we have dropped the ball on this special occasion. Here is a recap of our past anniversaries - we started out pretty strong.

1st - Best Anniversary yet (and that is probably why I remember it so well) - we went back to the Temple where we were married, SLC, and did a live session. Had a lovely dinner at the Sundance Tree Room and then spent the night in a beautiful cabin room there at the resort. It helped that Brian worked there at the time but it sure was wonderful.
2nd - Hmmm....I can't really remember what we did. Must have been pretty special.
3rd - After finishing his first year of Law School and being poor students I believe we went to dinner and called it good. No gift giving was the rule.
4th - Brian started an internship in UT while I stayed in OR (with baby Emery, it was a very lonely summer). I am pretty sure we were far far apart. Hard to celebrate that.

5th - Graduation fell the same week and Brian's parents came in town the day of our anniversary. We went to dinner the night before and Brian attempted to be a fabulous husband by getting me a nice engraved jewelry box (I had been asking for a jewelry box for almost 3 years since my other one was stolen). However, my MIL informed me that she had already bought jewelry boxes for all the girls in the family for Christmas. So I took it back and used the money to get Brian a graduation gift. How selfless of me.
Not all that exciting, eh? I don't mean to complain because it isn't as if Brian has ever forgotten the happiest day of his life and he is actually way better than me when it come to gift giving (must run in the family, his sister is an out of control gift giver).
I just wonder - what makes for a wonderful anniversary? And who's responsibility is it to plan the anniversary festivities? I mean it seems like you should expect the hubbie to plan something romantic and loving - but isn't it his anniversary too? I guess I cut him some slack because I haven't really made any big plans either. I just don't know...what do you think?
14 comments:
i don't have any ideas for you. we spend our anniversaries at the vacation house with the whole anderson family. or seperated because of finals. how romantic. but i do know who can babysit for you! stevie owes it to you for all the dinners you are going to cook him (and all the dinners that make me look like a bad wife-thanks.)!
totally in bri-bri's court. step it up boy-ya!!! 6 years??!! congrats!!
Last year I left it up to Chris and we went to the Tournament of Kings at Excalliber. Not the most romantic, but it was fun. The year before that we went to The Melting Pot- YUMMMY. It was very nice and the atmosphere was really nice too. We had a month old baby so that was about all we did. But, I highly recommend it!
Happy Anniversary! Ours is in a couple of weeks and I'm letting John handle this one. Which means we'll probably have dinner and call it good. I usually milk any occasion that involves dinners and gifts for all it's worth but I'm feeling lazy this year so I haven't really thought much about it. In a perfect world, I think the planning should be a joint effort, but how often does that happen?
I hope you guys do something great!
Happy Anniversary in a few weeks! We never do anything too exciting for ours. Well last year for our 5 year we went to San Diego but that was also because I was pregnant and we thought we better get one last hoorah in. If I'm there during your anniversary you can drop Emers off and have a night out on the town!!
Oh and we usually both decide what to do. Good luck!
Anniversaries and Valetines' Day are totally up to the husband. You can get him a little gift but the wining and dining and PLANNING are up to him. That's my opinion, so maybe that's why we usually do nothing.
How funny - I just wrote about our anniversary coming up - ours is May 7th. Matt and I switch off - one year I have Valentine's Day and he has the Anniversary and then we switch. It seems to work out pretty well, and we just decide in advance if this is going to be an "experience" gift year, or an actual gift. I like the experiences best - concerts, staying somewhere fun, etc.
I don't know whose job it is to plan...since it's both person's anniversary. Maybe you both need to contribute a little bit to the festivities. Congrats on 6 years, that's awesome!!!
Well, it's only been two years for us but we've decided to take turns. I was in charge of number 1 and Blaine took this year. We don't make a BIG deal out of them. I figure we can save up for the anniversaries that are associated with metals. :)
He probably just used up all of his creativity in the proposal. :) We have had one really fun anniversary (planned by yours truly), and the others pretty ho-hum. I think I'm going to instigate an every-other-year thing starting this anniversary (next month is 5 big ones!). Definitely let us know what y'all do on Saturday!
I think I must just be getting old. By the time we celebrated our 6th year I had 4 babies and probably just wanted a nap. We don't do a whole lot--one year I even forgot until 8:45 pm (I was working at Penney's salon and just ran over to Lingerie and saved my butt with that one). I think if we get out for dinner I am lucky.
I read a book about family traditions and they said that anniversaries are the least celebrated holiday, and that they couldn't actually find a single couple who had a special anniversary tradition. So sad! I love holiday traditions, but I haven't been able to come up with one for our anniversary, either.
We trade years planning. My favorite was when we went to an outdoor symphony and I surprised him by bringing along a heart shaped pizza, candles, and a fondue pot with chocolate and fruit. (OK, lame, my favorite is the year I planned, but at least I have a romantic anniversary memory now!)
You should take turns planning something, that way, when it is your year, you don't run the rick of ruining his plans! Also, I think the no gofty-giving rule sucks! We've tried that and we just end of being sad!
Anniversaries are hard. We usually try to do sealings in the temple we were sealed, and then do something "fun" at night. (A hike, a concert, an amusement park, etc.)
We are celebrating our 6th this summer as well. We are going to do the alpine slide and then going to the Jack Johnson concert at night.
We also sometimes reenact the proposal. (Not really...but we go to the spot where he proposed and eat the same food.) We also like to do some of our favorite things from dating. We watch movies we saw then, or redo some of the dates we loved.
Hope that gave you some ideas!
Post a Comment