Friday, May 02, 2008

Fear or Guilt?

So, after spending some cash at Ross on Monday, then lots at Costco on Tuesday - I went to Target yesterday and ended up spending more. After spending 3 years as starving students and fearing to spend any money at all, I find that I have a sort of postpartum feeling after parting with money. And since my husband checks our account religiously online there is no use hiding so I sent him this email yesterday.

Ok, so I just went to Target to get a few things (toothpaste, face lotion, present for Reagan's birthday) and ended up spending over $80. Anyway, I am not meaning to go crazy and I don't want you to think that I am spending money like crazy this week because you have a job now...it is just that I feel like I have put off buying a lot of things and now I am catching up. Plus a big chunk was a maternity dress that I bought that I will likely take back. Well, I just wanted to tell you about it and unleash my guilty conscious. I love you and hope your day is going better.

Love,
Alison

Has my husband instilled fear in me or what? Well, Brian thought this email was hilarious and now I do to. I didn't think it was so funny last night when he told me that he forwarded it to friends - lets just say lots of irrational tears were shed.

On a side note: Did you all love TV last night? Can I just tell you how happy I was to see a happy future Jack and with KATE!!! I am so anxious to find out how they get off that island and I wonder if Claire dies because how else are they going to feel good about raising Aaron? Ok, so I didn't finish watching LOST because it was 10:40 and we were too tired so don 't ruin the end for me.

And I loved all the comedy shows too. "Where is my sandwich!!!" So funny because that is so me. The Office was classic - Pam in her glasses was awesome and Michael calling her ugly was too funny. And Toby is just gross with his obsession with Pam - I thought he was moving to Costa Rica. Oh...good times.

14 comments:

Emily said...

Yea, I was supposed to tell you that Brian was super mad at you for spending money...but since I spent my whole day at the courthouse I didn't get a chance to see you.

I feel guilty for spending money sometimes too. Good thing we shop together so we can tell each other when to stop!

Emily said...

Oh and I didn't get to watch Lost either, so don't erase it please!!! I was laughing so dang hard at the Office. There hasn't been one that funny in awhile. Maybe the writers are settling back into things...finally!!!

Kara said...

I always feel guilty for spending money, especially on myself. I always feel like I have to explain and justify it to Chris, not that he makes me feel that way, but he definately is the more frugal, responsible one with the money. I have always liked to spend money, and it makes me feel good, but when I'm not the one working for it, it's different. Chris never spends money on himself either, so that makes me feel even more guilty!

Jenn said...

You are so funny. I feel the same ways about spending money. I have this little voice in my head that says, "what would Shawn say about buying that?" It drives me NUTS, and I wish I could just ignore it.

Lizzy said...

John was telling me all about your email last night. I didn't see what was so funny but it could have been just how he was telling the story. I sometimes have a hard time spending money and sometimes have a hard time saving money.

I loved the Office last night. Emily is right, it was the funniest one in a long while. I had tears from laughing so hard at Michael telling Pam she looked ugly. LOST kind of got on my nerves a bit. I don't love all the visitors from dead people. But I did love the story line with Jack and Kate. Even though I'm still rooting for Sawyer and Kate. I'm hoping Kate will leave a drunk Jack and get back with a shirtless Sawyer. A girl can dream...

Cassey said...

Everyone liked the Office? Hmmm, I've been a die hard Office since the beginning but, I think it's falling off. Micheal use to be funny, awkward and a little mean. Now I think he's just mean. I laughed maybe once. I still like 30 Rock and Lost though.

I feel really guilty for spending money too. Tyrale is happy about that.

kim said...

Kevin has always been clueless to how much things cost. The other day he went and got a few needed items--and since it was him shopping and not me, you know there weren't any extras in the basket. The total hit $50 and filled only one bag. He was shocked. I haven't been to Target in weeks, because I always want to spend. I am trying hard to be good. My weakness is wanting to eat out.

Mary said...

Totally understand your dilema on the purchases, but our female reponsibilities include most of the gathering--and since we can't gather sticks in our backyards, we have to find really great stuff at fantastic prices. Doesn't Target have the cutest stuff lately? I'm so loving it.

Caryn said...

I have the fear as well. Kinda. Rusty discovered that he could set alerts for when I spend more than $100 at one place--it emails him. So I would come home and he would be all, "How was Macy's. What did you need so badly at Walmart". I tease him about it, cause if he comes with me we are way worse.

Dang online banking...

Christi said...

I love that you emailed him. I think that is awesome! I feel the same way. How can you spend 100 at costco and have 2 things???

Aimeeable said...

First of all, you can't shop at Costco and not spend $100. If you don't when they check your receipt at the exit they tell you to turn around and go buy more. I laughed at your email, it was a really safe way to confess your guilt. Isn't it just so nice that our hubbies bring home a paycheck now!

Tara said...

Well I say live it up sister! I can't wait for that blessed thing called "income"!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Um I am so with you Alison. Except for I still try to do "sneaky" buys. Dave always finds out anyway, but I should just come clean like you :) I just can't wait until we have a real job and I can rid myself of guilt associated spending. BTW I loved The Office and Lost Thursday. Yay for good TV! Hope the perfect Maternity dress hunt it going well :)

Chante said...

Very funny! I thought you were being smart by emailing him before he freaked out when he checked the account. Oh well, thank goodness it was humorous!