Monday, May 12, 2008

I am a brat

I would like to blame a lot of this on pregnancy but I know being pregnant and hormonal will only excuse me so far. So, this weekend was our Anniversary and Mother's Day. I didn't think I had high expectations for either but I still wanted it to be special...paticularly Mother's Day as I am feeling very uncomfortable and great with child (seriously...I am the most complaining pregnant woman you know, huh? Don't we all know like 80 other friends that are pregnant that don't say a word about it?) Anyway, this is how I am such a brat.

As of Thursday night, I still hadn't got an anniversary present for my husband and I hadn't put much thought into what we would do that night. I just wanted a date with my hubbie and since we have a live in babysitter right now (long story but we are lucky enough to have Brian's brother stay with us as he interns for Brian's judge - sad part is he had to leave his little family and VERY pregnant wife who is having a baby in a little over a week), that was all the planning I cared about. Well, Brian informed me that he really wanted to go and buy the new Mario Kart for Wii. He said that could be his anniversary present and didn't want me to buy anything else because he spent a lot more on mine. He always does that...buys something big and asks me not to buy him anything or picks out his own present then I feel guilty and like a horrible not-at-all-thoughtful wife. But I got over it and we got the Mario Kart.

So, Sat was our anniversary and all Brian and Uncle Steve wanted to do was play Mario Kart so that is pretty much what happened all day. We did have a lovely date - my favorite, dinner and a movie. We went to Hash House a Go Go and it was delish. And we saw Iron Man which was a lot better than I expected since I didn't really want to see it from what I saw in the previews. It was good and worth seeing for those who think like me and wonder how Robert Downey Jr. could be in a role like that. Huge thanks to Uncle Steve for watching Emery and dealing with her meltdown when he couldn't figure out how to get Dora on fast enough for her.

On to Mother's Day. The day started out like gold...Brian made breakfast and got Emery ready for church and patiently waited for me to finish my YW lesson and get ready. Then we got home from church and it felt like any other Sunday or at least this brat thought so. Sure...my husband started the crock pot dinner after I got out the recipe for him and reminded him to start it. And yes, he plated my leftovers for me to eat for lunch. But the rest was very much normal - I finished the dishes, got Emery lunch, got her down for her nap and mosied while sports were being watched. So, I hid up in our room watching nothing good on TV and wishing I had a good book to read. Emery woke from her nap and I let her talk and yell for awhile thinking surely dad would get her up. Nope. So, I changed the poop and put on Dora and started feeling sorry for myself. Then I reminded my husband that other things would need to be done to finish dinner and let him do that. After a very nice meal and help with clean up we went to the park. I was feeling a little better but apparantly Brian wasn't because when we came home from the park it was back on the couch and too tired and grumpy to talk or pay attention to our child. That is when the sulking began. I am not proud of myself...just had to get it out that I was a pouting brat on a day when I thought my hubbie should dote on me. BTW, Emery was a perfect angel all day and so happy and sweet. I swear she knew exactlty how to act on Mother's Day.

Well, we went to visit some friends that just had a baby and it all came out. As I started my crying fit and Brian being annoyed at my brattiness...Emery just said "Oh Dear!" Then she kept saying "Happy mommy?" Of course he apologized as did I that my hightened expectations and irrational sensitivity led to an emotional blow up.

I guess my point in this story is that I really appreciate the nice thoughts and efforts that my husband put forth for me this weekend even though I acted like it wasn't enough. Thanks hun for putting up with me and maybe next year you will know that other than you cooking dinner I also like a little love and attention.

Oh, and this is my awesome gift that I will be getting as soon as the mail delivers it. I am really excited to have a nice camera and hope to learn to take better pictures because I would love to dabble in photography and this will be a great start!

23 comments:

Laurel said...

At least you have a hormonal explanation for a little "feeling sorry for yourself"... What's MY excuse??? I love your camera and can't wait to see you learn all about it!

Kara said...

I was the same way! I was a brat all morning at church cause Chris didn't even mention Mother's DAy all morning. I had no breakfast, we were 30 min late for church and I had to come home by myself cause he had to stay after. I was a little humbled when I got home and found my gift on the table. I don't think our husbands ever give us as much love and attention as we want. Love the camera- I got a digital picture frame. I'm so glad Emery was a sweetie for you.

Sammy Pow said...

And for the record, we went swimming on our Anniversary as well.

Emily said...

Hey, I think my SIL has that same camera and I think she really likes it! That's awesome!

I'm sorry your day didn't go quite as planned...that's kind of why I have a love/hate relationships with holidays like that (mother's fathers, days, valentine's day); too many expectations and usually major let downs and hurt feelings.

Glad Emery was nice for you, that always helps! Can't wait to see your new , fancy pics!

Bringhursts said...

Our anniversary was also a few weeks ago and Todd got ME Mariokart for Wii. I think we've played it almost every day since.

Alicia said...

Awe... are you pregnant or something? :) Hormones suck. BTW I am so jealous of your camera!!

Christi said...

I am sorry it didn't go as well as you wanted either. I bet you will love your camera though!

The Scotts said...

LOVE IT!!! That is exactly how I am. I hate being pregnant and Jared hates it even more, well so he thinks. I tried really hard this last time to be positive and happy. I am so happy you got a cool camera!!! Brian does get you the best gifts I think!

Melanie said...

What is it about Mother's Day? I have so few expectations on every other holiday except that one! I really didn't expect much from my hubbie this year because finals just ended. Last year they had already mentioned Mother's Day several times during Sacrament Meeting and he still didn't clue in that he had forgotten, so at least this year he remembered. He told me that he hadn't planned anything for dinner though, which I was fine with but then after church we were suddenly going over to a friend's house, so I felt totally uncomfortable because I felt like I was crashing someone else's Mother's Day! I asked him a thousand times to make sure he didn't invite ourselves over and he assured me it wasn't the case but I felt super uncomfortable. In any case, we're either all irrational, or husband's just plain don't get it. Probably a little of both.

Ilene said...

So funny. Guess who stayed up until 2 am playing Halo and so couldn't get up to get the boys ready for church and caused us to be late for church?

I was SO grumpy at church, I even went home during Sunday School as I pointedly told Dan that I and our unborn child did NOT get breakfast because I had to get myself and the boys ready...

That made him feel pretty guilty.

Things did get better when after church when I camped out in my room reading "The Host" and napping. Dan knew better than to expect me to handle diaper duty.

Cassey said...

You aren't bratty, I think all women are like that. And I think all men are like Brian. Sometimes they get the "duties" they need to do on holidays but not the emotional side of it. I have the same problem every Mothers' Day, anniversy, and birthday. I just don't think men are programmed to be sensitive.

I love your husband's comments. I think he should do his on post on here sometimes, so we could get his side of it. I would still side with you always though. :)

Lizzy said...

Oh no. I'm always afraid to expect anything for any sort of holiday. But at the same time, it's hard not to. And being emotional on top of all of it... that's not so fun. But you get a great camera!

I hope you're feeling better!

Tara said...

Oh you poor emotional chick! I get like that sometimes - It's hard when the holiday gets all hyped up and you feel it should be a certain way. It never quite lives up to what you think it should be.

I don't know if that made any sense. anyway I hope you feel happy and just know that you deserve to have crazy emotional days. That's what pregnancy is all about! :)

Jill said...

I must say, I really enjoy your blog. I have not really checked anyone's blog let alone posted on my own so I am a little behind. But Sean told me to read yours and I got a good laugh. Thanks for posting your funny stories. And don't worry, I'm pretty sure I started crying the other night when Sean asked me if I was going to do my hair before we left, when I had just "done" my hair like 2 seconds before that. It was awesome. Not at the time though.

Beth said...

i think we have all been there! hormones can really do a number on you. you are not a brat. husbands just don't fully get it all the time.

glad emery was a gem. don't you just love dora???

Rachie said...

We all have those days. I am glad you are feeling better. Great gift!

Chante said...

That is so Briant all the way all the time! Just because he let me get my hair done on Saturday and had the kids he felt like he did me a favor and he kept bringing it up on mother's day. We even had a little argument where Brec was poopy and he was like, "I changed him all day yesterday" I was like, are you kidding me! I change him all day every day, give me a break, it is mother's day. He did make dinner which was great and he let me chill and take a nice nap with no kids! So, all was good! I really don't think you were being a brat and it was good you communicated with him so maybe he can be better next year!

The Farnsworth Family said...

I love having an excuse to be a brat too :) I have learned (and so has Dave) that expectations on Mother's day, birthdays, etc always get me in trouble. So now I expect nothing and am always pleasantly surprised!! BTW I am so excited about your camera. We have a similar camera and I love when Dave brings it home from school and I get to use it ;)

Emily S. said...

Hey-- Congrats on the camera.
email me any time for pointers or camera questions!! I am happy to help!

:)

Brooke said...

Congrats on the Anniversary and new gift! You're sure to have lots of fun with that one!

Kendee said...

Sing this to the tune of the map's song on Dora... "you're a brat, you're a brat, you're a brat, you're a brat, YOU'RE A BRAT!"... the reason isn't because of the date night, the high expectations, or the crying... it's because you got that rockin' camera!!!! I am so jealous.

Brooke Hunt (aka Mr. Burns) said...

You are not a brat- you are prego! I am excited for your new camera! Have fun with that one!

Mary said...

Alison! This is why I so love you. You are so brilliantly honest and I could never have written so well the experience of all women and holidays.