Do you want to play the Name That Baby?Apparently, it is stressing some people out that we don't have an official name picked out yet (I assume so because it is the question that everyone asks over and over again). And many don't really like that we have been calling the baby in my belly "Number 2" (something about that having a different meaning...yada yada yada). But we have said it enough times that the other day when we asked Emery what the baby's name is she said "2, Number 2".
Naming a child is hard. We have been playing on the Baby Name Wizard for months (it is pretty fun if you haven't discovered this yet). We want it to be unique but not weird or made up sounding. We don't want the poor kid to have to spend their whole life repeating their name over and over and spelling it for everyone they meet because they aren't quite sure they heard them right (like we had to do when we met this cute little girl at the park who's name was Shawntaviae). But we also don't want every other girl in her class to have the same name. And it has to be a name that I can stand saying over and over and over again.
I am not too worried about this, there are some names that I like and my deadline is to have a name by the time we leave the hospital. I am not one to start engraving the name in stone before she arrives, there is something about making that final decision when you are holding the newborn. But I would like to have at least a top 3 or 5.
So, lets play. Give me some of your favorite girl names (and if a name can go both boy and girl, I usually think it is a better girl name). Let's see if they inspire us and if you have the name we have been waiting for...maybe I will give you a prize!
And I am pretty sure we won' t be naming the baby this...
17 comments:
We just had this discussion on Aaron's family website... here are some names that came up-
Quincy
Presley
Aniston
Claire
Lola
Ava
Gracie
Avery
Lily
Arie
Mallory
Remi
Coco
Cozette
Summer
Sidney
McKay
Sophie
Sophia
Emaline
Reese
Tyler
Sasha
Shayne
Charlotte
Ainsley
Hadley
Paige
Sadie
Samantha
Simone
Addison
Amelia
Hannah
Marley
Good Luck!
Ummm...she should write a baby name book. I'd like to see her list of boy names.
I think Number 2 has a nice ring to it. You might have to repeat it every now and then, but nobody else will have it!
We are getting ready so we have a few picked out.
Madison
Rilee
Reagan
maren
haylee
brooke (very rare I promise)
clara
macy
I have a post specifically for girl names. You have to go here: http://rachelrayfamily.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-love-names.html
One name that I really love lately is Ramsey.
I don't know if you know this, but I'm married to a man who is very passionate about naming children. He once blogged (and almost wrote a book) about it. You might find his post helpful. Or not. He's pretty anal about it.
Whatever you do, try to avoid anything resembling a stripper name (Chastity, Chloe, Jasmine). You don't want to limit your child's career options.
I'm all with you girl. Who has to be named until they have a birth date? We didn't actually name our pip sqeak until she was a day old. Even then we weren't totally gung-ho, but we figured she needed an identity, so we dove in at the naming task. Best of luck! I'm excited to hear about what you decide.
Gosh I don't know! Naming a baby is so hard. I have no idea what I would name a little girl. I like the name that you told me before though - Sage, was it? Sorry I am no help!
I'm sure whatever you guys pick will be darling!
Oh man Alison, I think girl names are so much harder. I picked my boys names fast, but when i even had to think about a girl one, I was soooo lost. But considering all that, both my sister's are having girls right now and some of their names include...
Brinlee
Addi
Bristen
Ashlynn
or
Tyler and Blake (Blakely) are my fav boy-turned-girl names (even though if I ever have another boy, it will most likely be Blake...)
Just promise she won't be a month old and still called Baby Girl Anderson, like a friend of mine did...An don't name her Caryn- I like my name but she she would forever be called Karen, trust me on that one...
I'm thinking Sawyer (yes for a girl), Oaklie, and Bentley are my favs. But this is easy for me to say since I changed my number 2's name three times when I was in the hospital.
It must be hard to think of baby #2's name because, if I remember correctly, you had Emery's name picked out long before she was born.
When Anna was born Ben and I had a hard time deciding if we should name her Anna or Charlotte. So when baby girl #2 was born it was a no brainer--Charlotte.
Mandee had a lot of good ones. I *love* Mallory. Everybody has heard of it and knows how to spell it, but not popular at all. Same with Reese. It's another cute one.
OK--scary, but I know where that poor Charley lives and was born. Those were my old stomping grounds in Spokane. Kevin used to do work at Holy Family. BTW--I had a boyfriend who's last name was Dick. I would have kept my maiden name!
I think it is so hard to come up with a name. We never had a name picked out until we saw their little faces. We had a few mulling around in our minds, but it was always decided after they were born. Anna was just baby for a couple of days.
Thinking who my kids go to school with, there are a lot of Kylie, Kaylie, Hannah & Hayley.
I have friends & family that have Ashlynns, Emmas, Sophias.
I like old fashioned like Lucy, Eliza, Clara.
Good luck. The only thing I am going to have to name in ther future is a dog one day--or a car. I'm good with that. Keep me posted on what you are thinking. Love ya!
Avery, Ashlyn, Lucy, Mailey, and I got a babysitter so I'm going to the reunion because I can't wait to see you woman!!
I like number 2 too :) Emery already knows her name too. I still love the name Kate!
berkely, sage:),autumn, skyler, kate, lily.
I know, I know... We are deciding between two names (Jake (Jacob) and Gavin) and really probably won't decide until D-Day when the little bugger shoots out (wouldn't that be cool if they really "shot" out?)... Anyhoo... I'm excited to see your lists. Although I have to laugh at my students; they seem to think that thier opinion matters. They ALL tell me thier preference. It's kind of cute, actually.
Paige...especially if she is chubby- you can call her "pudgey... thats what we call ours...pudgey paigee!!)
Taylor (obviously 2 of my favs)
Ryann
Kaylee
Talie or Tally
Rylee
Paislee
Presley
Adysen
Merissa
Olivia
Post a Comment