Friday, October 17, 2008
The Awkward Phase
Have you seen that SNL skit with the ugly kids? The one where the totally normal parents have friends over then their ugly kids come out and eventually scare off the friends. It's funny (I tried to find it for you, but YouTube let me down).
I worry about that.
Not that I worry about my kids being ugly... because they are pretty darn cute. Old ladies in the grocery store wouldn't stop and tell me that if it weren't true (who knew that a kid with glasses is like a celebrity at your local Wal-Mart). Cross-eyed, yes. Balding in weird patches, yes. Ugly, NO! But I do worry about that awkward phase, for them and for me.
Everyone goes through it, the awkward stage. I think I did for longer than I should have. The stage when you are growing out of being a little kid and not yet a teenager. When you have to learn everything you do isn't cute & adorable anymore. I think I didn't learn that until after most of my older sisters moved out and I finally stopped going in to "perform" for their boyfriends (True story I once farted on one of my sister's boyfriend's lap. So embarrassing and so not cute even if you are only 4).
I wonder, am I going to be immune to it for my kids? Will I think everything they do is cute when really it is annoying to everyone else? Emery already knows that we worship her and every silly thing she does. I caught her trying to perform the other day for Uncle Steve - doing something stupid then looking up waiting for the laughs and the praise. I used to say, "if it is cute when they are 2 but not when they are 7, then it isn't cute." Meaning I don't want to hear fake burps or farts when she gets older.
But I have to admit, everything is cute when they are 2 (everything except the whining, kicking, pushing, throwing down on the floor because I didn't get the right spoon, pooping in your pants, peeing on the floor, not taking a nap....) I want my kid to be friendly and I think kids who do cute funny things are awesome. I just don't want to have friends over and my kids want to show us their latest dance they made up, or song they want to sing, or lego they just made, or pet tarantula that they think is so cool, or whatever and then all my friends suddenly disappear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
"Cross-eyed, yes. Balding in weird patches, yes. Ugly, NO!" I'm laughing so hard I have tears!
I'm so glad I'm not the only parent worried about this kind of thing. I know Ben's not even two yet, but some of the things he does are just so weird I have to worry.
At least you're on the look out for the awkward stage. You're not totally ignorant of it or think you're child will never go through it. Seems like a good first step.
And I meant your not you're.
Sometimes I feel like I'm still in the awkward stage....Funny post! I'll have to remember this as my kids get older.
I love that SNL skit.
How can those parents pretend like their kids are not so obnoxious and annoying!!! I guess that's what makes it funny. Hopefully we'll be able to intervene before it gets that bad with our own kids.
awkward kids are uncomfortably funny- kind of like the office. you know you shouldn't be laughing, but you just can't help yourself. i say, bring on the awkward years! i can't wait to have good reason to make fun of the monkey.
good one adi! indie's hair is for sure in the awkward phase, so are chase's teeth!!! love you!
Alison, you are so darn funny. I am still laughing :)
Post a Comment