Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Talking Cars

Whatever happened to talking cars? I remember when I was little, it seemed to be the wave of the future. Every futuristic movie showed cars with amazing intelligence that could fly and more importantly TALK to their owner.
Most famously there was Knight Rider. The story of Michael Knight whose mission was to fight for law and justice in the Knight’s incredible super-car, the Knight Industries Two Thousand–or KITT, for short. It was love at first sight between Michael and KITT. The car, a sleek, black, customized Pontiac Trans-Am, was impervious to attack, could cruise at 300 mph, could leap up to 50 feet through the air, and was loaded with such armaments as flamethrowers, smoke bombs, and infrared sensing devices. Best of all, it could talk, and in fact had a personality all its own; peevish, a bit haughty, but totally protective of Michael. He could summon the car when in trouble, and it would come crashing through the walls to get him.

Growing up I had KITT of my own. It was a sweet 1986 Nissan 200SX.
My mom went through a mid-life crisis and bought the car between husband 3 and 4 (even though she had 8 kids and the car barely sat 4 people). But, who cares about practicality when you have a car that talks! Kitt would say in her sexy voice “Key is in the ignition (beep) key is in the ignition” or “Right door is open (beep) right door is open.” It was magical. I loved that car and couldn’t wait until I turned 16 and would get a chance to drive it. Sure it was a stick, but I could learn. Then just weeks before I turned 16 my brother totaled Kitt. It was tragic! To this day I miss her voice. And now I have no way to replace her, because there aren’t any cars now a days that talk to you. Where have all the talking cars gone?

4 comments:

Tara said...

I used to love that show! That was David Hasselhoff at his finest. On a related note - I used to drive a really old truck in high school. Some of the floor had holes in it. Sometimes I would just stick my feet down on the pavement and run with the car. It was sweet.

Marc said...

Funny... the only thing I could think of when I saw Kitt was David Hasselhoff flying around singing "Hooked On A Feeling" (Thank you for the Liz... Thank you).

Kris said...

I also had a magical talking car--a copper Toyota minivan named Huffy. It couldn't really speak English (you know, being Japanese and all), but it could beep like it was going out of style. Long beeps, short beeps. Oh Huffy. You are missed.

Lizzy said...

I had to drive my dads yellow and blue STRIPPED Ford truck around. If I leaned back in the seat I couldn't see over the steering wheel. The very bus-like steerling wheel. It also had a quarter cab. It was pretty sweet. I miss driving that truck...