Monday, January 16, 2006

What are you saying, I'm FAT?


You know when people say things that are pretty rude and they don’t even realize how rude it was? I know I shouldn’t hold on to these reckless comments but I do for entertainments sake. My husband says I shouldn’t take these things to heart and I don’t think that I do, but I just keep them in my memory to laugh about later. The best part is, that people don’t even think that what they said was wrong. So, here is a tribute to some (I can’t attempt to list all) of the assinign comments others have made to me over the years.

I was at Chili’s with some friend. Keep in mind that I am not a light eater and I was with a girl that was several years younger and super skinny. So, I finished eating my meal and had pretty much cleaned the plate. I sat back and said, I am sooo full! The girl said, “Of coarse you are, those are big portions, people are not supposed to eat that big of portions and you ate the whole thing.” Thanks Ginger, I’ll remember not to invite you to my next eating out experience.

I was dating a boy in college and his ex-girlfriend was trying to get back into the picture. I never met this girl before but had heard a little about her and was feeling a bit intimidated. So, I was talking about it with some friends, and one guy friend had gone to high school with this girl. He started going on and on about how she was the hottest girl in the high school and she could get any guy she wanted and she was just so beautiful. I said, thanks but that is not what I want to be hearing right now. He caught himself and said, “Well, Alison, you’re cute in your own way.”

Being pregnant I get to hear lots of people who should out their foot in their mouth. It ranges anywhere from “You must be ready to pop” Nope, sorry still have 3 more months. To, “Wow, how are you going to fit a full baby in there” to “Are you sure your not having twins”. But my most recent favorite happened at work. I had a new dress on that my sister had given me over the holidays. My male co-worker, asked where I got the dress, I told him it was from my sister. Sensing he didn’t really approve I threw in my little disclaimer that it was conmfortable and something to wear. He added, “A clown suit is also comfortable and something to wear.” Too bad I will probably still have to wear the dress again because I have no clothes.

I just (like 5 minutes ago) was talking about this whole pregnancy thing to some girls at work. Laura, who has three of her own children, said, “You just wait, your nose will totally swell and your lips, it’s so weird.” Another girls looks at me and says, “Yeah, your nose does kind of look bigger today.” Maybe I will take that one to heart because I am already self conscious of my nose.

That is all I can do for now. I am sure this isn’t close to the end of my hearing people say the darndest things.

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

That is funny! But I do have to say, I'm one of those people who needs to take their foot out of their mouth. I always say the wrong things. But I like to think it's part of what makes me "special".

That clown suit line is pretty good. I think I'll try to squeeze that into a conversation sometime.

Tara said...

Ali, Ali, Ali-
Pregnant girls don't come much cuter than you. Hello from the backside it doesn't even look like you are pregnant! You are all baby, baby!

Alifinale said...

Just wait til you are large and incharge like me and you will know how I feel. But thank you anyway!

Jess said...

I too am one of those that unintentionally says idiotic/mean things all the time without realizing it... but I think a part of it is that I don't keep my mouth shut and I don't think things through and all the possible interpretations of what I say before I say it. I like Liz, like to think it's a part of my charm.

Kris said...

All those girls (and that lame boy) go on the Bitch List. And that clown suit comment boy, he's the queen bitch.

melbo said...

I'm not much better. We went to a party a few weeks ago and while talking to the host, a guy with a Jay Leno chin stops by for a quick hello. The two were obviously an item, so when the topic came up later, I said "Oh, you mean the guy with the chin?" What? she asked. "You know... the guy.. with, uh, the chin..." And what's worse is I actually made my hand stretch out my chin while I said it, like Pinnochio! I'm a jerk. I'm sorry to have to be victimized by people like me, Ali!