Monday, April 09, 2007

Happy Easter!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Despite it being our worst day in nursery so far, it was a great day. We had Emery find her Easter basket, went to a baby blessing, Brian got to watch some of the Masters, went to church and then had Easter dinner with friends. Which made not being away from our family much easier.

Brian made a comment that made me really reflect on the way we celebrate this holiday. We all make such a big deal of Christmas and I will admit it is my favorite holiday, yet Easter doesn't get the attention it deserves. The sacrament meeting we went to didn't seem like anything special when Easter Sunday for any other Christian church is made into a huge deal. I know that for most people Easter is one of the only times they go to church, and I think it is great that most Mormons are more active than that and that we celebrate and teach of Christ ever day/week. But I think Easter should be set aside to be just as special as Christmas. I mean, as grateful as we are that Christ was born, aren't we more thankful for his atonement and resurrection? What a wonderful gift and blessing to know that He died for us that we might all live again!

I don't want to get too much into this, it is a blog - but I just want to say that I feel so blessed and hope that while I enjoy the fun parts of the Easter season, the coloring of eggs and the egg hunts, the basket and new dresses, and all the wonderful things that spring brings - that I can also reflect on the true reason we celebrate this beautiful time of year. I like how we put it in Nursery (we made little Jesus Loves Me books).

Jesus Loves Me
Jesus came to earth to show me the way
Jesus showed me how to be baptized
Jesus taught me how to pray
Jesus healed the sick
Jesus blessed the little children
Jesus died for me
Jesus was resurrected so I can live again

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Your daughter is so cute! Thanks for the comments on my blog. I enjoy reading your blog too!

Ilene said...

I came over to say hi to you yesterday but alas you had a whole fan club around you and your cutie Emery. So, "hello." I had to jet to take the inlaws to Sunday School. I was surprised too that the talks didn't focus more on Easter. Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you tomorrow night for GG!

Kendee said...

Great comments Alice. I completely agree, there should be more religious festivities. It always makes me miss Mesa and the Easter Pageant. At least when I attend that I feel the spirit of Easter.

Alifinale said...

I miss the Easter pageant too. I haven't been for so long!

Jaclyn said...

This is the first time I've ever been in a ward that *really* focused on the atonement and the resurrection of Christ. It helped that we had two amazing speakers with incredible insights to life in general. There were also four beautiful musical numbers that brought the spirit -including a solo from my hubby. ;) It was a beautiful sacrament meeting.