Monday, April 02, 2007

Traits to Inherit

If you have children, or ever want to - have you had the discussion of what your children will inherit from their parents? It is one of my favorite things to think about. Brian and I would tease that all our boys would get my chicken legs and all our girls would get his "fat calves" (I love his legs, but they are a man legs, and a bit more muscular than most girls hope for). I wanted Emery to get his nice full lips and his cutest nose. Brian got his wish that she got blue eyes instead of my poop brown.

As she is growing, and her personality is developing, I like to wonder what else she and other future children will inherit from us. Brian mentioned yesterday that he wants our kids to get his intellectual curiosity and my smarts. He likes to learn more, but he thinks I am smarter. I don't know about that. Brian was a bit rambunctious as a kid and I was a perfect angel (ask my mom, she tells me all the time) so we both hope our kids act more like me. But one of the traits I hope my kids inherit will be Brian's confidence.

My husband has a unique confidence that I admire. Let me clarify, he is not cocky (a trait i despise), he just doesn't put too much weight in what other people think about him. When we first started dating, I had just gotten out of a relationship and wasn't sure if I wanted to get in another one. One night I told him that I didn't want to date exclusively. He was selling cars at the time (that lasted 2 months) and he just smiled and said "OK, I will tell you what I tell people that come in looking at a Toyota Tundra. They say they want to look around at other trucks and I say fine. Go ahead check out the F150, check out the Silverado. I know you'll be back because this is the better truck." I walked into my apartment that night and thought - who is this guy? He was right, I came back for the better truck.

I find that I worry and wonder too much about if I look stupid or what others think of me. I wish it didn't matter to me. I love that my husband knows his limitations, and doesn't dwell on them. Growing up is hard, but I hope that my kids can grow up with the extra confidence and self-assurance to see to all their potential.

17 comments:

Nate and Lauren said...

That is funny b/c Nate and I always talk about what our kids will look/act like...I will briefly explain the physical side...he has very "thick" legs, as you said ones that girls wouldn't want, kind of like log legs (don't tell him I said that!) but he has a long torso...and I have long skinny legs but I have no torso, so we hope our kids don't get my torso and his legs otherwise they will pretty much be midgets!...but don't worry b/c he has lots of other trait I would love our kids to have!

s.lloyd said...

I really liked this blog. I know that my wife has a way better husband than you do though, no offense.....

I was actually thinking that a lot of wives I know would probably write similar things about their husbands, but I doubt I know any husband (besides me of course) that would write something like that for his wife.

I challenge BA to write a sweet blog like this for you!

King Family said...

I am so worried that our boys will be short. It will be pretty obvious who contributed that gene. It is scary because Seth didn't get his height until high school so it will be a mystery until then.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

steve and i used to do the same thing when i was pregnant with nash. when we tried to list all of what we think our worst features were the picture we envisioned was not a pretty one. the funny thing is, nash got my big lips and elfish ears and crazy arched eyebrows (all things i'm not so fond of) and steve's....skinniness, long head and ginormous blue eyes. anyway, all the physical traits we think are querky on us turned up in nash-but he has managed to pull it all off. we have no idea what personality traits he's got yet except for being pretty laid-back. he sure seems to like food more than me and steve. he probablly eats more than the two of us combined!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

cute pic of emmers, btw

Jaclyn said...

I always tell Ben that I hope none of our kids have my calves--not even my sons. Large calves run in my mom's family, and I was the only one of seven kids to get them. Ugh!

Ami Bethea said...

This was a fun post to read, I'm sure every parent can relate! As I watch my kids grow up and their personalities develop, I realize how different & perfect they each are in their own ways. My oldest, Stratton, is a lot like me - loves to learn, stubborn, perfectionist, lives for craziness. Cade on the other hand, is super calm, laid back, very loving - just like his Daddy. Their differences bring a perfect balance to our family. Although, I would love to have just ONE child with blue eyes...is that too much to ask?? lol

Kendee said...

Alice, Steve and I were just talking about this same subject two days ago. We were joking that we would have to put away some extra money to support our daughters for life if they were to be built like him. He is a handsome man, but a very hideous body for a girl: big on top - no buns - skinny legs - knock knees.

Jaclyn, I have always really liked your legs. Don't think that I am creepy or anything but you have very nice legs. Strong legs are nothing to fear.

Chappell Family said...

K, Love the blog, but let talk about us all getting together. When do you move to vegas? cause there is a flight that is direct to Idaho fall, which is 30 mins from me and if you book 2 weeks ahead its about $100, round trip! We went on it a few months ago and it's a easy flight with a little one, just about an hour!

Alifinale said...

We won't be moving until beginning of July.

aryn said...

Um...your chicken legs. I think you might just have the best legs out there. Hello- I didn't try walking on the front part of my feet for nothing- (like you and your brother do). I've since given up the hope that I'll never have calfs like you.
I love your blog.

The Scotts said...

You crack me up! Our kids are just doomed because we are both having awful gas. Jared has always been able to clear a room, but I can now since I am prego. This one is for sure his!!

Jill said...

I liked this blog too! However, I wouldnt worry about what your kids are going to look like. You guys are a hot couple and your kids will be blessed to have any of your features!

Birchall Family said...

Love the blog! Michae and I took all te boys to the doctor for there well baby checks and shots..the doctor told us they have gained too much weight for the amount of inches they have grown.Mike said geat we have short fat kids! WE laughed forever. My boys so far have lots of Mike in them, which is good..poor Mikey has my no bums, but Austi and Ty have Dads bubble butt! I think Mikey has my moms muscle body, the kid has pecks and a six pack at age 3. Austi has a soft pot belly like his mom!

Ilene said...

You are so right about the confidence thing. I still have problems wanting others' approval and I doubt my own abilities all of the time. I hope my boys' take after their dad in the confidence factor. . . however, I was quite less troublesome during my teen years than Dan so I think they need to take after me there!

Anonymous said...

Your husband may have played it cool when he was talking to you about Toyota's, but I vividly remember him at my in-law's house (Marc's house) going NUTS because he thought he'd lost you forever, and that maybe you were the one, and what if he had screwed up your relationship forever? yadda, yadda. Now maybe I saw him like this after a separate incident than the Tundra conversation, but don't be fooled -- he was so whipped! I guess it's still a pretty awesome quality to have: to play it cool and display all the confidence in the world even when inside you are falling apart.

Sammy Pow said...

Buddens you've nailed it. I would be, and was, an absolute wreck, without Big Al in my life. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. All I can say is that if our kids are half the person their mother is they will be just fine... All I can do is screw them up, and trust me, I've been trying already. Emery is probably the youngest coca-cola addict in the history of the world. She's also probably the only one-year-old who thinks she's supposed to show you how old she is with her middle finger. Heaven help her.