for years and it has served me well. It wasn't flashy, it didn't have a camera or MP3 player or the millions of other features that the latest phones these days come with - but it was solid and it was loyal and it ALWAYS worked. Brian went through a couple newer, fancier phones but none worked better as a phone than my good ol' Nokia. Forget the other perks, it's a cellphone and you should be able to make and receive calls and that is what my phone did well.In addition to being stuck in the dark ages with an old brick of a phone, I also didn't have Text Messaging for my phone. Back in the day, when we were in school and re-upped our cell plan, we decided to save a few bucks and only gave text messaging to Brian who is addicted. I didn't care and most of you may have noticed that I don't respond to your texts.
Now the time has come to graduate to new phones and text messaging. Brian is so excited for his new phone (Happy Birthday to you!) that you'd think it was Christmas and he is 6 years old getting his first bike. I am excited too but a little bit hesitant. Will the new fancy phone work as good as my brick? But more pressing, I am nervous about joining the world of text messaging.I know, get with the times already. Everybody is doing it. But, I sort of hate text messaging. I think it is great for the times that you just need to relate bits of info. Like "Movie starts at 8" or "My plane landed" or "I'm on my way". That is all great and convenient. But I don't like how people try to have conversations through text. How impersonal is a "Hi! How are you doing?" when they can't even hear your voice to understand the response? And it frustrates me when a conversation is started that will require a continual back and forth. Discussing info through text just seems like a lot of work not to mention super annoying.
But alas, I know many people who hate to actually talk on the phone so I better get used to it. I have unlimited texting now so I need to get faster at composing a message and learn texting lingo while I'm at it (who knows maybe pretty soon I will be like that little girl in the commercial - below for your viewing pleasure). I just hope that with this new development it won't mean I won't get to hear any of my friends and family members voices again.
13 comments:
HVD PLAAG LYSM
I am sad that you got rid of the brick. I didn't even get to say good-bye.
I have no idea what BA said.
I've been texting just because most of my staff does it and it's an easy way to get the word out quickly to a bunch of people. It's wonderful! It's so easy to go over the allotted amount if you have that kind of plan, so it's a good thing you got unlimited. I think you'll be surprised at how easy it can be. Good luck! I also have NO idea what BA said. :)
Goodbye brick. Hello texting! You will learn to love it. Plus that's the only way we can communicate now because my cell hangs up on you and your home phone sounds like a fax machine. I way prefer texting over talking...call me impersonal.
omg!!! u rock! 2nite will B gr8! ttyl
I too, have mixed feelings about texting. I think that too often it's a cop-out for a real conversation. I hate that I can't get a hold of certain people to save my life, yet if I text them, I'll get a text back almost immediately. Seriously, do you not want to talk to me that bad? It hurts my feelings to say the least. However, I do appreciate the convenience of texting, and sometimes, it can be kind of fun. One of my favorite texting stories was while I was teaching... some students were in my room and I was texting my sister or something (it was during my prep period), and they said "Ya, it's so weird that like, adults are texting now. I mean, it's totally a teenager thing to do!" For realsies. Hilarious.
I'll take texting over a real conversation any day. I hate talking on the phone. Which is why I never call...
And sometimes it's fun to have a real conversation using text code. It's kinda fun.
AHHH!! Welcome to the world of text. I will still call ya!
I don't have text messaging on my phone either. Everyone is always after me to get it. Maybe when I finally decide to give up the Oregon number.
I've got a feeling that you're going to enjoy texting quite a bit once you realize the infinite possibilities that exist out there.
I hate texting and will still call you. When I do text, I do it the long way, letter by letter. It takes way too long and I'd rather just say what I want to say.
Funny commercial. Get with the program, Steve and I decided to get back together over TEXTING. Nerdy? Yes. Effective? Perhaps?! I am excited to text you: BFFAEAEAEAE
Post a Comment