Ok, so as excited as I am for summer and all the sunshine that will be coming my way - I am not so excited for being in a swimsuit again. I am going to be moving to Las Vegas and I am planning on doing a lot of swimming this summer so I need to just buck up and get a new swimsuit. The problem is...I am a little afraid of the changes my body has incurred over the last year and a half. I knew that after having a baby my body would never be the same...but logical thinking and actually looking at yourself in the mirror are two very different stories. There seems to be a new distribution of body weight. Things are bigger and smaller where I don't want them to be. So, is there a magical suit that will not only clear me from the Bikini Ban (as if I want to wear a bikini anymore, but my mother-in-law also forbids it) but also enhance me where needed and diminish other unsightly areas? Here are a few options, please give me some input or other options. PLEASE!?!?!
These are from Shade Clothing. There are other colors and have the feature of tummy control bottoms and padded inserts (which, unless I want to look like a little boy wearing a girls swimming suit, I need)

I like a couple from
Modbe, in particular the Cocoa Baneau Halter (sorry could put the pic on here). But alas, there are no inserts.
Then there are a few that I like from J.Crew. But I am not so sure about the one piece. I have become accustomed to the tankini, easier to go to the bathroom.




Keep in mind there are other colors to choose from. These are in no particular order. I am not really sold on anything yet, so I would really appreciate any input. Really...
17 comments:
Alison-- so sorry about your dog. That SUCKS. I hope you get lots of love and support for it.
I have been eyeing the Modbe suit, too! You have good taste.
P.S. We'll be in Vegas this summer, for a week. That's where my hubby grew up!
Hey Alison,
I have one of the shade ones...just the plain black swim top and bottoms. I like it so far...the extra padding is excellent, and it's super comfy. The modbe ones are totally cute too, but more spendy and no inserts. I am looking into getting one of the shade halters too...summer is coming, we need more than one! Although I will be in Boise, which will probably leave me zero opportunities to soak up the sun. Good luck on your decision; it's so hard to decide on swimsuits for some reason.
Hey Al, I have a few J. Crew swimsuits, including the ruffle one that you put in your post. I absolutely love all of my swimsuits from there, they are worth the money and look brand new years later. I have found a few really cute suits at Dillards.com & Macys.com, particularly a black & white paisley from Ralph Lauren. Have you tried those websites? They have cute tankini's and one pieces. I'm sure you'll look great in anything you put on, even post-baby! Good luck with the search :)
I knew about Shade shirts from a few years back when they first started, but I didn't know the company had grown so much with so many different styles and products! And, I'd never heard of Modbe before. I just checked it out and LOVE their stuff! Oh, to be in the land o' the Mormons! I'm in New Hampshire, and was in Vermont before that so there's not a lot of Mormons or sunshine, which makes shopping for swimsuits almost obsolete.
As for a tankini, why not? There are lots of modest ones. What will your mother-in-law do to you if you wear one? I like the blue Shade swimsuit you chose and I really like all the J.Crew ones you chose. It's hard to say because I think it just depends on what would look best on you. You can return catalog orders to J.Crew stores, which makes things a little easier. You could see if they have them in the stores (but most stores have mostly bikinis) or just order all 4, try them on, and return the rest. Sort of a pain, but it may be worth it. I worked there for 2 years, but it was a couple of years ago, so you may want to call a store and find out if their catalog return policies have changed. Hope that helps!
Hey I was looking on nordstroms.com and found this cute tankini: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2914314
It can be adjusted to be longer like a swim dress or shorter like a regular tankini. The pattern didn't catch me at first but the more I look at it, the more I like it. They have a lot of cute tankini's and one piece's at nordstroms. Hope this helps!
I bought a tankini from Target that I really like. It might be a cheaper option than some of the others.
Yikes I don't even want to think of swimsuits this summer! I'm not even going to attempt it.
Anyway they all look really cute and you know I really think the one piece is coming back to be so much more popular. Now that they actually make cute ones that don't look like something your grandma would wear.
Anyway I like the last bright blue one with the ties the best I think. Very cute!
I like the JCrew green ruffle one and the blue one at the bottom. However I think tankinis are cuter...I found some really really cute ones at gap body http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=35135 . They dont have padding (at least the onest that i tried on didn't) but the neck is adjustable and you can definately lift and enhance what you got :) Nothing too slutty though. I hope Sean reads this...I keep mentioning to him that I need a new suit, but he is not yet sold on the idea.
Okay, I own the last JCrew bathing suit- the one with the ties. My husband loved it because, well, my boobs are out there for the world to view. I wore it to Maui when I was 3 months pregnant so my bosom was quite the sight to behold in that suit. While I like the suit, I will say that it is open to below your boobs so buyer beware. I like it but probably won't wear it around my mom or your mother in law. I also bought a tankini from Shade- the Newport style and like it. It supports and the bottoms are great for extra suction on that extra mommy skin/belly. I also saw that Lands End actually has some cute tankini's this year- not just the mom styles any more. Good luck!
Go for the shade one! I like the black one! Padding is a MUST for me too! Nursing two kids hasn't done wonders for my chest!
Wish you were here. I am having a swimsuit party at my house tomorrow night. www.hapari.com
They have the tummy control bottoms, and you can wear their tops 3 different ways (halter, cross, or not crossed) and they are REALLY cute in person.
Let me know if you want to order one- oh, and they come with "pockets" so you can add padding if you want it. And they sell the silicone inserts- which are awesome, if you don't already have a pair. Good luck Ali. Oh, I also saw a cute one on www.layersclothing.com
Thanks so much everyone! I really liked some of the ones on layersclothing too! So many choices. Now if only I can look like the models that are showing these swimsuits off!
if i didn't have the exact opposite problem from you (ginormous boobs) i'd get this one for sure:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=218843&CategoryID=21595
or this:
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=ZM-204348&page=1&cgname=OSSWMTNKZZZ&rfnbr=157
So sad, I couldn't cut and paste your websites. You will have to show me another time.
Ali, I am so glad you found my site. I am so new at this Blogging stuff, but I am excited to try! So, I love the swim suits. I almost got the Shades one. I ended up getting one from Modbe. Have you heard of them? It is Modbeclothing.com. You should check em out (they are like Layers and Shades). Good luck swimsuit hunting!
i found the perfect solution...actually, bri bri did:
http://www.wholesomewear.com
note the "slimmer" version! perfect for that baby flab....not saying you have any, just a blanket statement
Post a Comment