
Rusty Bruce Paco Anderson (aka the Diggler) was our dog for the last 2 1/2 years. He was a good dog - high energy, loyal, cuddly, and athletic. As soon as we moved into a house my husband said we had to get a dog. He became a part of our family. Now, I don't want to bore you with
all the details, but through a series of unfortunate events (stupid mean Lucas dog) and poor training on my part and lack of male figure last summer - our sweet dog became a little aggressive. The straw that broke the camels back happened a few weeks ago when he nipped at Emery. He didn't break the skin and it wasn't super vicious - but it was something that we could not tolerate with a small child. So, we weighed our options which were put him down or find him a new home. We didn't have the heart to put him down - so we searched and searched for a new home. Finally, a friend of ours from school, who has another dog, decided to take Rusty, as he wanted a friend for his dog. We were so relieved and he came and got him on Wed.

Now, I cannot lie. While I loved Rusty - he also drove me absolutely crazy sometimes. I never grew up with a dog (any dog we had never lasted past a 2 week trial) and I was not stoked on having a dog in the house. He got in our face or tried to get on our lap, or scratched on the back door to get in. My husband likes to joke around while he is annoying me that if he died I would miss these little nuisances. Well, he is right - and that applies to the dog as well. Now that the Diggler is gone I miss him and all the little things that bugged me almost seem endearing. So, here is an ode to the Diggler, we miss you buddy.
- Rememer all the mornings you would wake me up with your cold nose in my face. Then scratch on the door to let you out.
- I had to mop up after feeding Emery for the first time as you weren't there to lick up the crumbs.
- We miss giving you our plates when we were finished so you could eat off the fat and the gravy.
- I miss you sitting on my feet to keep my toes warm and fighting me for the heater.

- When you used to stand by the window watching as I pulled into the driveway anxious to say hello.
- You always had to sit on my lap everytime I sat on the floor, even when I was pregnant and didn't have a lap to sit on.
- Everytime my phone would ring in the other room, you would race me to get there first.
- Protecting us from the nutria on our walks by the river
- You loved to put a paw up to try to sneak on the couch while we were sitting there watching TV
- Everytime I would get on the floor to do sit up you would think that was your cue to wrestle.
- If we got up and danced you jumped up to play
- No matter where you were you came flying into the kitchen if you heard a can being opened or the crinkle of the Fritos bag.
Ok, my list could go on forever. I love you Rusty and hope you will be happy with your new home and new friend Raider.
13 comments:
Ali, I am sad you are down one member of your family :( You are way smart to be cautious...Now that Emers is walking hopefully she can wrestle with you and race you to the phone :)
I hear you on the annoying, yet endearing thing. Our dog is really old (13 yrs. and a large breed) so we are always thinking in the back of our minds, when is "it" going to happen? He was recently really sick and we were afraid maybe his time was up. Luckily, with help from the vet, he has fully recovered. But I went through all those feelings of thinking how mean I am to think he's annoying, and couldn't get over how much I will miss him when it really is his time to go. I'm so glad your dog found a good home and a good playmate!
Oh, that is sweet. He was always there to protect us on the walks. And he was great when I was pregnant and too lazy to walk - all I had to do was hang on to the leash and leave the rest to Rusty. He was a good dog.
I didn't grow up with dogs either, but I now have 2 small house dogs, boy they sure do grow on you! I couldn't imagine my life without them now! But if they nipped once at my baby they would have to go! Sad choice to make but a right one. Besides, now he has a dog buddy to play with!
Hi Alison, I don't know if you remember me from high school (Cara Penrod). I hung out with Ami Cook. Anyways, We had a 5 month old black lab that we had to get rid of. We moved into an apartment while our new house was being built and it was to hard to have the puppy there. We had to give her away and it felt like I was giving away one of my kids. We got her when she was 7 weeks old. I missed watching her follow my boys around the back yard & digging in the dirt with them. But at the same time she would bark every morning at 5:00, chew on my furniture, scratch holes in the screen door, and run in circles around my living room (not good on the second floor of an apartment). So it was either throw her over the balcony, which is what my husband wanted, or give her away. It was hard but it made life a whole lot easier and less stressful. She went to a home with a large yard with plenty of room to run. It was better for everyone.
Goodbye little puppy. I guess I won't get near as many phone calls from you now, Alice... now that you don't walk your dog at night anymore :) We all lose. Sorry you are sad.
Thanks you guys. Nice to hear I am not alone and nice to have reassurance of our decision.
My kids keep asking for a dog, but since Aaron and grew up with too many dogs around, we don't want one at all. Ever. The neighbors' dog is good enough! I'm glad he found a good home. And I missed you on Friday!
I feel your pain. We had Roxanne, the best dog in the world, until Abby was about 16 months. She snapped at Abby a few times and had a seizure. We knew she had cancer for a few months so we ended up putting her to sleep. What is it with all my dogs!!
He sounds like a very nice dog! I've been told having a dog is like having another child. My parent's didn't get their first dog until I was 19 (I guess they thought they had enough going on with 7 kids or something), but now she is part of the family. I think my mother would die if something ever happened to her.
ps-I'm sorry you have to pick up Emery's crumbs now. Such a hassle!
Hey there! We were just over at Briant's last night and Ava walked into the room and Brad thought she walked just like you. It was cute. We just wanted to say hi. We hope you guys are doing good, your little girl is a doll.
I am so sad for you!That list made me shed a tear for you. Emery's safety is most important though. I hope you can get a new dog some day. Do you remember all the pets my family went through? 2 Cockers, 1 Dalmation, 1 weiner dog, 3 cats, 1 mut and 1 lab. I missed them all but its comforting to know that they all went to good homes.
Awwww... you got me all sad thinking about ever losing Jager :( Sorry about ole' Rust.
Post a Comment