Thursday, July 31, 2008

What gets me through the summer...

Summer TV is sucks. And for this TVaholic and nursing mother (who spends quite a bit of time sitting on the couch these days - I think I forgot how often babies eat) the summer can be pretty painful. So, this is what has helped me through these long evenings.

Red Box
What a great invention is the Redbox! After giving up on Netflix (we just ran out of movies that we wanted to rent all the time) we discovered the love of the Redbox. Sure, it doesn't have a great selection but it is only $1 and there are 2 at our Albertsons right by our house. We get some family time by walking to the Alby's to get the redbox then have a nice evening watching whatever crappy movie we ended up having to rent because it was all there was left.

Last Comic Standing
Since my hubbie refuses to watch my favorite summer show (see below), this is the one we can agree on. Get a bunch of comics to compete against each other and you've got some good entertainment. As usual there are some that I hate (Papa CJ and I am not too fond of Adam) and there are those that I love (Iliza, Jeff, and Marcus and Brian is depressed that Paul Foot got the boot). If you haven't been watching - so sad for you.

So You Think You Can Dance

What would the summer be like without my favorite show? I always wish I could dance so instead I just love to watch. And every year it keeps getting better! Even Cat Deely is less annoying this year, in fact I kind of like her this year. Last night I was watching while Brian read a book next to me (he tried to act like he was being my friend but he was useless). I said something about Katee and Joshua's contemporary dance having a lot of lifts and he says mockingly "but were their lines good." As if I know what I am talking about I say yes only to realize he is making fun of me and the judges who say that all the time. Man, I wish I could be at my SIL's house for her SYTYCD watching parties. Except she is a dancer and would probably make fun of me even more. Oh but I love it!

What is getting you through the summer?

12 comments:

Lizzy said...

I love the Redbox. It really is a lifesaver. Summer tv sucks. I can't wait for fall tv to start up and then you can blog your reviews. It'll be like old times.

Christi said...

This is o so funny. I was just about to do a blog about SYTYCD. I was so sad that Will got the boot instead of Mark. I loved Will. And can I just say I HATE Mary. I know she knows what she is talking about ( and I don't) but every time she talks/screams I want to kill her!!!! She is so annoying.
We love Redbox too!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

we've got a newfound love for redbox as well...just watched "meet bill" and it was pretty good.

am watching SYTYCD, but i'm just not feeling it this year as much as last. everyone i hate is off, but those that are left are all sort of on the same level for me. no one i LOVE so much that i actually vote. and i'm so sick of kat's crazy freaking wardrobe!

what get's me through the summer? bbq's, the zoo, and the anderson family pool.

Emily said...

Thanks to you I have come to love SYTYCD too. Summer tv is so bogus, so it's nice to at least have that.

I can't even WAIT for ELI STONE to come back. I have decided it's my new favorite. I just love it.

Bunco and swimming are also very helpful in getting me through the summer.

Melanie said...

Redbox is quite awesome. Except we always seem to bring them back just after 7...

My husband actually really likes SYTYCD! Last night he had to work late and missed it (yeah, I know, that means he was working SUPER late, poor guy) and he was sure to ask how it went and if anyone danced poorly.

As far as getting me through the summer ... I'm totally in the same boat as you! My kid is I think 4 days older than yours, so I too waste a lot of time surfing pointless stuff on the laptop while I breastfeed and G watches PBS. We have access to a pool here for the summer, but I haven't really been able to use it since I had to wait for my incision to fully heal and until I was strong enough to chase G poolside if need be, which has just barely happened. Plus we live somewhere where we don't know anyone. Not trying to complain ... mostly I'm just way excited to get back to our non-internship lives in a couple of weeks. I miss my house and friends and dvr ... I hate commercials.

Ilene said...

We love Redbox too.

I don't watch either of your shows. Everything here starts at 7pm instead of 8pm and so by the time I sit down for some t.v., everything is over. Totally lame. Sure, I could set the DVR but that requires forethought.

I'm not good at that.

Chante said...

I am so obsessed with SYTYCD. I loved Katee and Joshua's dance where he had his shirt off. It was so intense and I wanted more.....Yes BA can make fun of me, I don't care. Briant totally watches it with me and I think his fave is Joshua. Hope all is well with your cute kiddos!

bulkleybunch said...

i would totally make fun of you loser! and i think brian needs to step it up and participate in this show. it's not like he's completely uneducated, he's been to enough dance events to appreciate the art? right boy-ya?!! joshua better not win is all i'm saying. twitch all the way!! maybe katee, she's darn good but something's still off for me. i loved courtney and mark's crazy dance-oh you didn't know you were in for a novel did ya?!!

Jen Lee said...

Don't tell the guys, but Dave is hooked on SYTYCD. He was more upset than I was when Will got kicked off! Also, we've been watching Scrubs lately, but I think we've about seen them all.

Kiki said...

We get the Entertainment Weekly magazine. It's the only magazine that Ry and I religiously read through, but let me tell you that even its suggestions are slim pickin's. We have been watching, "The Next Food Network Star", "Dinner Impossible", "Passport to China and Passport to Great Weekends with Samantha Brown", and embarassingly, "I Love Money". Have you been following that one at all?

Happy2Bme said...

I don't know if you remember me, but I married Kempe Nicoll. When we were dating he brought me by your apartment in Provo to meet you.
We're absolutely hooked on SYTYCD too! We thought Will would win it all, but we also loved Gev who actually teaches hip hop classes to a neighbor of ours, so we were a little bias. He did have some pretty sweet solos though. Redbox is awesome too. I usually can find some 'free' codes, so it's a great deal!
Anyways, I love reading your blog. You have some adorable little girls.

Mandee said...

Alison,

I haven't seen you forever, but I was excited to find your blog. I am pretty new to all this, but I have had a lot of fun finding old friends from high school. You have a beautiful family. Actually, your daughter looks a lot like mine, well maybe it's just the glasses...so cute! It is good to see that you are doing well!
Mandee (Woods) Olsen