
Some time ago I did a post about bumper stickers. At the time I was living in Eugene, OR where I am pretty sure it is the bumper sticker capital of the world. Since then I moved to Las Vegas, NV where it is the personalized license plate (the high class bumper sticker) capital of the world. And just like bumper stickers - I am not a big fan.
Not only do people here love to personalize the letters and/or numbers on their plates, but they also have a plethora of different decorative plate options. I was shocked to find out at the DMV that there is a choice of about 50 different plates. There are veteran plates, military plates, collegiate, fire fighters, and then a ton of souvenier type plates. And I found out it isn't cheap to get a personalized plate, yet I think I see more custom plates than I do regular plates.

It makes me wonder, why do people spend so much money to say "DSNYFRK" or "LUV GOD". Do they think they are clever? Do they want to passing driver to know a little more about them? Do they really have that hard of a time remembering which car is their's so they need a unique plate? Do you want to let everyone to know that the car was a gift and that your name is Joy?
I just don't get it. But it does make it nice to have something to yell when I am driving behind the jerk "COP B8".
17 comments:
I don't get it either, but COP B8 is pretty funny. Especially on that yellow sports car.
So funny! Vermont was totally other bumper sticker capitol! And then we moved to NH which is also another personalized license plate haven. We found it odd too until we found out that it's super cheap here to get them personalized, so it made it more understandable. But I totally agree that if it's pricey, why do it? We didn't even do it cheap, but at least I can understand.
Oh I hear ya! EVERYONE has personalized plates here. I don't love them either. And I love your hate of bumper stickers, it's so funny.
wow-it took me a little to long to figure b8 out. dur. there's a reason they call them "vanity plates." enough said.
For some people, their car is just another way to let their personalities shine. Like crazy old ladies who have trinket yards or biker dudes with a million sagging tattoos.
dammit, you just shot down my next idea: hollrox heeeeeeeeehheeeeee
I love it. Seriously I want to meet the people who drive those cars.
If I lived in Vegas, I would want this license plate... I think it's pretty cute!
Awesome. Simply awesome. I used to think I wanted one of these bad boys. Maybe my nickname or something "clever" like that... Until I realized it's pretty lame. Especially when someone thought they were being so clever, then you can't even tell what they're trying to say! Every once in a while I can appreciate a few of them, but seriously. Well put.
I totally agree. What makes me laugh is when you can't figure out what it is trying to say. If you want to flaunt about something atleast make sure we can understand what you are trying to say. Dumb people!
Oh I hear ya sister! Just today I was driving along 215 behind a sweet bmw convertable (top up) with a license plate that said "PUFDIDI". So naturally I thought, could it be? So I sped up, risking a ticket to see if it was really P-Diddy only to find some blonde chick. Who does she think she is?? LAME!
That was really entertaining to me to read. I really don't have another comment except that it was funny. thanks for making my day
When I lived in Alaska I thought that place had the most personalized plates! Come to find out, there was some sort of promotion that happened when they changed their background so you could get the new background and a special plate for super cheap/free...something like that. I did see some very creative people just wanting to let their personality shine for the world. But honestly, I didn't get most of them. Oh well...btw I did a little catch-up on your blog and your potty training success, congrats!!
I know you don't like personalized plates but you so want the stickers that have the family represented by stick figures. That would look totally hot in your back window.
I love trying to figure out what the plates say. Until this post I actually aspired to have a license plate that said something cool. ha ha! jk
Alison, now that you are married and won't be offended, I can tell you the Oregon bumper sticker to one-up all Oregon bumper stickers. When your husband was a baby and we lived in the Beaver state, there was a popular one that read: Don't Californicate Oregon. Californians moving to Oregon were despised, as you can see from this sticker. Thank goodness they didn't have one that read: Don't Washingtonicate Oregon (not as catchy), as we had moved there from the Evergreen State, where your husband is proud to have been conceived. Sorry—he's the one that always brings it up. Here is a fun trailer to illustrate the being conceived part: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/fourchristmases/. I have been considering starting a line of bumper stickers that say: "You'll take my i-phone when you pry it from my cold dead fingers." This will explain the importance of the phone to the public, as well as the owner (courtesy of your brother-in-law): http://www.theonion.com/content/news/police_iphone_left_in_hot_car_for?utm_source=EMTF_Onion
Brad
The only reason I like them is to laugh at something while I'm driving. Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment