While I do think that it is mildly entertaining to read bumper stickers on other people's cars while stopped in traffic - as a whole I think they are dumb. I hate that people find the need to express themself through graffiti on their car. Now don't get me wrong...I don't hate all bumper stickers just most. And I have no problem with logos on windows for sports or brands or whatever. And the little families on cars are pretty cute - except I saw one the other day that had everyone's name on it as well and I think that is wrong. I think I feel this way because most bumper stickers are pretty smug. They are so "I am right you are dumb"
There are your political bumper stickers... These are the most common. Especially here in Eugene.


There are the pet lovers bumper stickers...


There are religious bumper stickers - and even most of these are anti-religion.


Then there are just the plain old - get out of my road bumper stickers.


All in all I know that people can express themself however they want. I just think it is dumb to do it through a bumper sticker. But it does make my commute a little more entertaining.
15 comments:
Ditto. Bumper stickers are lame. I am really tempted though to put the bumper sticker on my mini van, "Daddy bought it and I got it"-it would be kind of funny. Bumper sticker are like song lyrics to me sometimes, you can't get some out of your head....annoying, because of this I try not to read them.
Bumper stickers are so white trash. So are those decals of Calvin peeing on whatever. I HATE those! They are on every truck here in Utah-
pee on Ford, pee on Dodge, pee on your ex-wife. You can pretty much have Calvin pee on anything you want!
Sorry to tell you that there aren't many bumper stickers in Vegas. In fact I don't even recall the last time I saw one. I was like you when I lived in Eugene, and read them while stopped at a light. I also read them while walking through a parking lot.
I'm glad you blogged about the bumper stickers. I have been thinking the same thing myself. It is ridiculous the amount of bumper stickers in Eugene. Ah, I will miss it here. What really gets me is when the bumper sticker has some obscenity in it. I don't need that.
Amen! Bumper stickers ARE lame. No one needs to advertise their political preference or their random opinions on the back of a car(don't they have a blog to unload on?). Just my opinion.
Side note: I did see a funny one on a brand new Cadillac with this cute elderly couple in it. It said "Just out spending our children's inheritance." Pretty funny.
Thank you for agreeing with me, people! That one is pretty funny, Steph. I did see one that I almost wanted to get for my mom that said "I break for all garage sales" - that is so her!
I think it must be related to the hippies. We lived in Vermont (full of hippies) for five years, and the second we got there, we thought, what's with all the bumper stickers? EVERYONE in Vermont, and from what it sounds like, Eugene, has an opinion. Ugh.
I did see a funny one on this cute middle-aged woman's car in the parking lot of a fabric store. Her kids got it for her (I asked) and it said: "Boldly going ... nowhere." I loved it!
That is so funny I was just getting mad at a person for a sticker they had on their car..I won't write it, it was bad and I was stuck in traffic behind them. I have actually been to Eugene, My hubby bought my wedding ring there while we were visting..random! We are going to start building as soon as I figure out what I want in my home. We will be in Utah for at least 5 more years, then hopefully we will be in CA full time.
ps your little slide show of your cute baby is so dang cute!
Oh man, another blessed quality of Eugene that I KNOW you are all going to miss. How funny. I'm with you though; most of them are so lame and annoying. But some of them make me laugh...and some of them make me think, which could be bad while I'm driving...
Hey Alison. I'm cracking up about your bumper sticker comments. I guess I never realized how many other people didn't like them. Ha. Ben Robbins is trying to track down your email address for the 10 year reunion. email me at lyns0808@yahoo.com :)
We saw one somewhere that said something like "My son was inmate of the month." We thought that was funny. Yes bumper stickers are funny, I haven't really seen a lot lately.
my favortie is "keep portland weird" if you think Eugene has some characters, you need to go to downtown portland where my sister lives, now those people are weird, but at least the acknowledge it!
I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Let's nuke the whales". I laughed for a long time about that one.
But yeah otherwise bumper stickers are lame!
I think you enjoy not liking bumper stickers. Come on.... admit it. You love rolling your eyes at the far out there ones.
Post a Comment