Thursday, March 15, 2007

American Idol is losing steam...

Folks, you have to admit that American Idol just didn't bring out the best of the best this year. Only a couple of the singers are super good and the rest average at best - and only a few actually "look" like they could be pop stars. I know I am shallow and stupid, but hey, we all know that this isn't just a singing competition. Good looking people sell more albums. Look at Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson vs. Ruben and Taylor Hicks (I seriously had to even think of Taylor's name...he's already forgotten).

So, the best singers this year are Lakisha and Melinda. I have found myself really liking Lakisha because she just seems like the real deal. Since the beginning I have wanted to like Melinda. She has a great voice, seems super nice and has a great stage presence. But I can't get over the fact that she looks like the ardvark cartoon characters on Arthur. I can't get it out of my mind and therefore can't take her seriously.















On another note about American Idol - I don't know if I can handle Randy and his stupid "Dog" and "YoYoYo whassup" talk. Does he think he sounds cool?

Also, has anyone else notice Paula concerted effort to not sound so drunk. She has really been trying and I commend her for that. But she still has to work on her clap. She claps the same way that my 1-yr-old claps.

11 comments:

destiny said...

I totally agree with you. I used to LOVE AI, but I am not loving it this season. There isn't anyone making me go crazy like I did for Chris Daughtry last time. No sparks this time! By the way, I have Chris' album it is da BomB!

destiny said...

Oh and Melinda doesn't have a neck! Does this bother you as much as it bothers me and John?

{lizzythebotanist} said...

word up, dawg. melinda freaks me out beyond belief! i couldn't place her until you mentioned the arthur cartoon-right on, dawg. i have to watch them all with my eyes closed-no one is good looking! but then again, i wasn't too keen on kelly or carrie until they went anorexic. they should just make it a requirement to weigh 100 lbs before the idol candidates can advance to hollywood. and speaking of "hollywood"-the stylists can somtimes ruin the naturally decent looking ones. take kelly pickler; she was pretty dang cute until they started penciling her eyebrows beyond belief and giving her the behive hair-dos. sheesh! so. anorexia + natural styling + decent voice = the next american idol!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

yes!!!! buster is on 30 Rock! it only gets better and better!

Sammy Pow said...

Kelly Clarkston is butt. The end.

Sammy Pow said...

LTB, your initials kind of remind me of Lesbian Tranny and Bi, just missing a G and you'd have the whole shibang. Buster was on that Andy Richter show, not 30 Rock, but I still laughed a few times.

Jaclyn said...

Yo, yo, yo! Melinda totally looks like the girl from Arthur. I never would've thought of that--hilarious. She is my favorite Idol this year, but she is too meek and doesn't have enough sass to be a star. My husband read a few of your posts last night and he was totally laughing.

Ilene said...

I'm with you on Melinda- her neck and chin are a bit startling. I have noticed the Paula thing too. I have been pretty bored this season. Have you noticed a serious drop off in The Office as well? At least there is GG.

Mandee said...

Melinda could totally be on the Arthur cartoon- so funny. I, too, am disappointed with this years contestants. I like the white rapper guy- Blake?

Kendee said...

I wish I had been following this so that I could have a relevant comment. I will catch up soon.

aryn said...

Ditto! I must admit- I do like the "Justin Timberlake" guy and the beep box guy. Um Hello- what about LOST!! That was crazy.