I love movies. I miss going to the movies. We don't make it out much since the munchkin joined the family and that is sad for me. We joined Netflix and it is so easy and convenient to rent movies. (I have heard great things about the new blockbuster program and maybe someday when we aren't too lazy we will quit the Netflix and make the switch...someday). Now that all my shows are ending and we still don't have cable, I have a feeling that we will need to keep the queue full and ready at all times. Problem is...I don't really know what to rent. We were at such a loss that we got down to the bottom of the queue and somehow Miami Vice was in there. With nothing else to do on a Saturday night we put it on. Mind you, I put up with a lot of crappy movies, just to finish it. I couldn't do it with this one. It was really bad, stupid and yucky bad. We also watched Rocky Balboa. Not as bad, but certainly no Rocky IV.I know there are a lot of movies out there that I think, "I would like to see that". I just can't think of them whenever I go to my queue. So, please, let's hear your recommendations. What are some of your all-time favorite movies. Or at least worth a watch?
PS - Thanks to my hubbie, I got to go to Pirates yesterday (he didn't want to see so he stayed home with Emery). Wow that was a long one. And do they really expect us to know all the secret pirate codes and legends? It still was great to be in the theater and see some great previews. Mmmm... new Christian Bale movie looks good!
14 comments:
Any limitations? Outside of the inevitable romantic comedy... Do you like foreign films? Classics? Action?
By the way... you can also try adding more people as friends to your Netflix queue and you can browse all the movies that are currently in their queue and all the movies they've ever rated. I've found that's an easy way to find a few things to watch.
Ali how fun you got to go see a movie!! We don't hardly ever go anymore. But we want to see Pirates. Have you watched the ALIAS seasons? Those were fun to pass the summer with last year for us. Are you caught up on 24 and Prison Break? My friends who are into scifi love Battlestar Galactica. Are you up on the CSI seasons? Those are just some fun ideas. Dave and I usually pull out (and dust off) our video games in the Summer. Anything for some good entertainment.
We are blockbuster fans.....it is really fun! I am not sure what is in my que? I just go down the lists of new movies and click on the ones I want to see!
Marc, we do enjoy seeing your pics and your reviews are always entertaining. I don't really know who else has Netflix, so don't know who to add to my friends. We did browse through your list for some ideas. Not so into the foreign films but love classics.
A new CB film! I am way excited and I have no idea what it's about! We just saw The Prestige and he was, in the words of Rachel Ray, YUM-O!
I'm so excited for you to move to Vegas! If you have any questions or if you need my opinion (other than John's that is) on housing, please ask!!
You have probably already seen these but here are my recommendations:
Little Miss Sunshine (best movie from last year)
The Prestige (magic show with magic looking Bale)
The Illusionist (pretty much a magic show but romantic, husband hated I loved)
Nicholas Nickelby(The new one. BA will love it for sure)
Rebecca(old movie scary/romantic)
Oh Pioneers(Hallmark Hall of Fame)
Any Hallmark Hall of Fame-I know that is so nerdy but they are good.
Out on a Limb (oldie but goodie)
American Dreamer (nerd romantic movie)
Raising Arizona
Fight Club (Seth made me put that)
So that list is basically my nerd movies and movies you probably have already seen. It pretty much proves that I only like TV now. Good Luck.
You're at the bottom already? I have about 80 to go before that happens.
My brother tries to convert me to Blockbuster but I am too lazy to switch over and really, am I likely to ever go and rent a movie from the store- even if it is free? Nope, still too lazy.
Besides, today Netflix became my hero when they didn't penalize me for misplacing a DVD. They are sending me a replacement at no cost to me. Viva Netflix!
Well I quit the beloved netflix because it was taking me forever to watch anything. After I ran through the seasons of Gilmore Girls I was pretty much out of ideas.
I always love the 80's classics though. You can't go wrong with Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, The Breakfast Club, or St. Elmo's Fire.
did you ever see les miserables with liam nesson? i love that movie.
i have lately been obsessed with stranger than fiction (will ferrel)
and all my all-time faves are the 80s movies mentioned by tara plus LUCAS and cant buy me love and of course, 16 candles.
and fight club is amazing, but very R so just search your tivo for it every once in awhile and you will find it on tbs- it is soooo worth the look out. (also a few good men is like the greatest movie of ALL time but find it on tbs). oh and the fugitive with harrison ford. and what lies beneath is so scary, speaking of harrison.
hmmm and i hope you have indulged in the gilmore girls seasons!
Thank you for the suggestions. I feel honored that the famous Kelly commented! If anyone wants to be my friend on Netflix - let me know.
Blondie - I have seen and enjoyed lots of those movies, but not all so I am excited to check some of them out. I am not sure I could get BA to watch a Hallmark movie with me.
Ilene - if you have 80 in your queue, I really need you to be my friend so I can check out what you like to watch. I believe we have similar tastes.
Kelly - I loved Stranger than fiction, too. And I definately indulged in all the GG seasons. I think I need to own those...someday!
We do Netflix too but my husband is the one who set it up and picks out the movies........therefore, we see Rocky Balboa, and NO romance! I have not been very impressed with a movie for quite some time. There is so much trash out there! We just saw Invincible with Marky Mark and that was actually not too bad. He has a hot bod in it too.:)
Have you ever watch the TV show Arrested Development, Veronica Mars, or Alias? Those are some entertaining tv shows. They are so great on video because you dont have to watch any commercials. I also LOVE "Sliding Doors" (romantic comedy). So as far as my "queue" is concerned, I have Grey's in there.
Go see The Waitress the next time you are going to a movie. My hubbie even liked it!
Hey Ali, I'm sure you've probably seen all the movies that I could tell you. Some of my/our favorites in our movie cupboard are:
Just Like Heaven, 50 First Dates, Runaway Bride, Cast Away, Oceans 11, Bourse Identity, Xmen, Mr & Mrs Smith, Serendipity, The Replacements, Runaway Jury, Harry Potter movies, Gone in 60 seconds, Two Weeks Notice.
We haven't bought movies lately because they're all so trashy now so we've just been buying the cute kids movies. Hope this helps!
Post a Comment