Monday, June 04, 2007

Called up from the pulpit.

Yesterday was our last fast Sunday in our ward here in Eugene. I didn't really think about it at the time because...well we are pretty distracted at church these days.

We were called into the Nursery at the beginning of March. Nursery is an interesting calling, especially since we are the only ones in Nursery. I leave a little early from Sacrament to set up before all the kids come in. Then I stay in the room the entire time until the last kid is picked up. By that time, BA is so anxious to get out of there that he is usually in the car, strapped Emery in her seat, and in the quick gettaway position before I even hand the last poor kid off to the parent that is chatting in the hall. Unfortunately, much to Brian's dismay, the parents in our ward haven't learned to pick their kid up the second the bell rings. One time we had such a crazy day and so many kids ran in and out that we left when one kid still wasn't claimed. (I went back...don't worry...)

My point is, we aren't really part of the ward anymore. We see people in their pews during sacrament, then we see the parents of the kids in Nursery (sometimes, actually most of the time it is a sibling that drops off and picks up the kids). But that is pretty much all our involvement in our ward. It doesn't help the fact that we aren't really good friends with anyone in our ward. Not that we don't love the people in our ward and everything. We just don't see many of the members outside of church activities. My only connection is to my friend that watches Emery while I work and she suffers from migraines so she isn't there most of the time.

In addition, the above mentioned friend has 4 kids that worship Emery. They always coax Emery into going to sit with them or they just come and get her. Brian gets mad because they steal Emery who is his favorite entertainment and excuse to walk the halls during sacrament. And if we happen to sit by them we usually have a herd of kids all sitting around us during sacrament. This was the case yesterday during sacrament meeting. We tried to listen, particularly when a mother who was baptized the day before bore the sweetest testimony I had heard in a long time.

Then as the bishop stood to close the meeting he said that we had at least one more testimony to hear. Keep in mind as he started talking about this special person he wanted to come up we had Emery on our lap and 3 kids trying to grab her at the same time. Then the bishop said he would like BA to come and bear his testimony. I nudged Brian and said he has to go up. He said, "Seriously, me?" Then we noticed the entire congregation looking back at us. So, Brian gets up and walks to the pulpit, and the bishop kindly mentions that I should go up after him. We thought we were going to leave this ward quietly without much notice, but apparently not. Thanks bishop for the opportunity...I really will miss this ward and the humble sweet people that have been such good examples to us.

19 comments:

The Scotts said...

AAAAHHHHH!!!! That is my biggest nightmare for some reason. I don't like to be put on the spot. Did your house go through by the way?

King Family said...

Yesterday was our last week in the ward we are in. I didn't get called-I went and it was a train wreck. Seth was asked in Elder's Quorum though....

Tara said...

Yikes! you gotta love those impromptu speeches. Well I bet you guys did a great job. Was BA able to even speak?

Marc said...

Holy shiz. I can almost picture BA at that moment. Was he pissed after? I'm not a fan of that practice at all.

Sammy Pow said...

If I wasn't a big fan of our bishop I might have been more upset. Plus I've got balls of steel, so it was no biggie.

Sammy Pow said...

...that's right, I'm all class, ladies.

s.lloyd said...

BOS indeed, although a little impromptu testimony shoudln't be anything to worry about.

As far as I can tell from my years in the audience, anything from telling your finace that you love them, and then sitting down, to a hopeless female changing a tire all by herslef, to how good the food from the ward is, can all be considered a testimony. How hard is it to stand up and say 5 incoherent and non-religious sentences? I've seen a guy get up TWICE in one meeting, and NEITHER of the times did he say anythign remotely close to a testimony. Unless you consider telling people that he was in the Marines spiritual.

Also, things got so bad in one ward that my bishop actually said, before opening up the mic to the first teary eyed female, "feel free to come up and bare testimony about the atonment or the gospel". Pretty simple instructions. Only 1 person actually followed them.

Alifinale said...

Nice, hun. Really the bishop got choked up talking about Brian so how could he be mad?

Shan, we are still working on the house. We have some repairs to do, but the inspection didn't scare off the buyer so that is good. I can't wait to be done with this though...so stressful.

Alifinale said...

Thank you for your insight TFB. While we still have a few crazies that just go up and tell a story, for the most part our ward actually bears their testimony. Life is a little different outside of Utah County.

Sammy Pow said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
s.lloyd said...

Ouch! I was actually calling some of those experiences out of my Mesa days attending a singles ward. BOOOM!!!!!!

Sammy Pow said...

Ali - I can't believe you've succumbed to the "ripping on Utah Mormons" level. You've changed man. you've changed.

Alifinale said...

Easy there tiger...you are right - that crap doesn't just happen in Utah. You Utah boys are sensitive. Wah wah wah wah WAHHH.

I wasn't so much ripping on Utah, I love that place - I was more ripping on Sloyd who has been living in UT County most of his days. You have to admit our ward here is very different than any ward we have been to in Utah. Sheesh.

Alifinale said...

Oh and all singles wards fall into their own kind of special category. I remember my older sisters advising me to bear my testimony on my first fast Sunday in a singles ward to make myself known. Sad, but true.

The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali so funny that your Bishop actually did that. I am sure you guys did wonderful on the spot. That is good advise about the singles ward. My sister's never shared that one with me. But they did share that if you get up and bare your testimony on how the movie "Saving Private Ryan" or "Gladiator" changed your life the first fast Sunday you move to a new ward you will NEVER be called to anything ;) Just think about it :) (Oh BTW we had a guy from our ward in his testimony tell my hubby Dave that he "completed" him as a joke...NICE. That quote was from Jerry Maguire. Guess no one told him watching R movies was a no no. Oh and that if you do you don't let the entire ward know about it!)

Sammy Pow said...

Stephanie -

That is an excellent addition to my four part formula to not getting a calling. 1) Wear a blue shirt if you are a guy (I guess a girl could wear a pants suit or something, I'm not sure); 2) Sit in the back every sacrament meeting (and come in late) 3) Never raise your hand to answer a question in gospel doctrine; and 4) say "hell" or "damn" in front of a bishopric member.

Talking about R rated movies is good, but if you have to go up to the pulpit to do it you're still giving them the wrong idea about you.

Ilene said...

Alison, please know that we try to get Jackson as soon as possible from nursery. You would like us in your ward. I don't know how you do it. I can't be in the nursery room for too long- the smell of diapers and soggy crackers makes my stomach queasy. Nursery workers must have some special mantle placed upon them.

Mandee said...

BA, you are hilarious!

Jill said...

BA, How do you explain my calling to YW's then? I have done all but #4. However, that may be the most important tactic. My sister-in-law said "shit" at her YW's activity (bishopric present) and was shortly released a few weeks later. Not a bad idea.

Ali- I would have had a heart attack if I was called up to do that. Seriously. My mom got called up to the stand the last Sunday in their ward and she literally did have a heart attack later that night! Was that the cause? I think so.