Sunday, June 24, 2007

Here come the ABC's

I have been dreading the upcoming two day drive to Las Vegas for weeks. Emery is not the happiest camper when it comes to riding in the car. Pretty much the only thing that will stop her crying is when I sing kid songs to her (apparantly singing along to Gwen Stefani or something on the radio doesn't cut it for her). I thought it is high time to invest in some kid CD's. Brian found Here Come the ABC's and NO! by They Might Be Giants and I was very excited. So far we have mostly only listened to the ABC's and I love it. It is as silly as you should expect from They Might Be Giants (mind you I have been a fan of theirs since Junior High - Flood, Apollo 18) and it is a refreshing change from your average Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. My favorite so far is "Who put the Alphabet in Alphabetical Order?"

I voiced my plight to my co-workers as well and they hooked me up with a whole care package for the road including 100 Toddler Songs, Teddy Grahams, books and to top it all off earplugs. We got a portable DVD player and Baby Einstein videos, and primary songs - so I am feeling a little bit better about our upcoming adventure. What are some of your kid road trip secrets?

14 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

drugs....lots and lots of drugs...i hear TFB is passing pills out, you should hit him up.

destiny said...

John is a HUGE TMBG fan. He got those kid cds for our children as soon as they came out. There is a DVD that goes with the ABC one. IT's really cute. THose guys are really brilliant with their songs and it actually teaches the kids good things! I am definatly a fan too! Good luck on your trip, looks like you have all you need! Can't wait to see you!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh that sounds so cool...I want a copy of those! Emery will do great, the portable dvd player was an excellent idea. You could drive at night...then maybe she would sleep through most of it. But that's probably not that much fun for you guys. Oh man, I'm so happy for you guys, moving on and starting your job. LUCKY!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

I love TMBG! I still remember memorizing the lyrics to "Birdhouse in Your Soul" back in Junior High with my sister. I'm going to have to check out that kids' CD. There's a book called "Philadelphia Chickens" by Sandra Boynton that comes with a CD and it has a bunch of cool kids songs (new ones) sung by various stars. I really like it, and there are a couple of other sequel books, but I don't remember the names.

My daughter naps well, so that usually buys us a couple of peaceful hours, but lately when we've traveled, if/when she gets cranky, we've called our parents on one cell phone and handed Gretta a different cell phone and told our parents to call her on that number. She LOVES answering the phone and babbling to her grandparents, and the grandparents can't get enough! I don't know if Emery likes the phone, but it's worth a shot. It doesn't usually buy a ton of time (15 minutes tops), but it usually distracts her enough so that even if she was cranky before, she's calm for at least another half hour after the phone calls end.

Hope this helps! Oh, and remember LOTS of snacks. Good luck!

Ami Bethea said...

Sounds like you have everything you need for a successful road trip with a toddler. The DVD player will save you, lots of snacks & drinks, maybe some little picture books that she likes to look at and you are set. Good luck! I can't wait to read all your posts from your new life in Vegas!!

Caryn said...

We road trip a lot with the boys, what always worked with Braden was a little Benedryl, no joke. But, if you are opposed to drugging your kid than just remember to take it slow, let her out when you gas up the car,eat lunch at a park. The hour you waste will be made up in her not being such a wiggle worm in the car. Oh, and I ALWAYS have a new toy,(or movie too) something them have never seen before stashed in easy reach if you get desperate. It should by you a few minutes aleast! Good luck, safe travels!

aryn said...

I'll have to check that out- TMBG totally reminds me of you. I can picture us now sitting in your room listening to them.
That is too cute that Emery talks on her tip toes!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali we always love our family road trips :) They are a lot of work but so much fun. Emery is at a hard age because she may not understand everything, but here are some of the things we do. We have a travel chain (that you can let her or help her take off a link every hour) and when you take a link off have a small treat or prize (dollar store) for her. The kids have loved this. This might be more applicable to when you are going to see family for the first time in 6 or so months but we make magnets of pics of cousins, grandmas, aunts & uncles (with a magnet maker) that my kids play with on a magnet board (or cookie sheet). This helps them remember people they aren't familiar with and all the new faces don't seem so scary. We LOVE movies in the car and always pick a couple of new movies to buy before we head off so they are new and exciting. Anyway, most of our ideas work for older kids, but these are just a few ideas we use that might work for Emery's age. I hope it helps and I hope you guys have a good and safe trip :) How exciting to be moving on to your new life!!!!

Summertime Designs said...

Good luck on your journey! Those CD's sound awesome. And that was way cool of your co-workers to get you that travel package. I can't wait to hear about Las Vegas and your new place!

tawni said...

Have a safe drive! I need to look into the CD you posted. I need some kid friendly music. My daughter loves Gwen also. Its funny. She does fine in the car, but she is still young. She wont when she is older I can tell. Yeah, my Dr. also said something about kid benadryl. I dont know if I would take it that far and actually use it, but I just might if I had to fly with her!

Birchall Family said...

When we flew to Hawaii with the kids I gave Mikey a little Benadryl...totally not like me, but everyone said to do it...ong! It made him hyper and he couldn't sit still, so watch out some kids have the oppisite reaction. I have been doing the CA to AZ trip alot with the three boys without Michael and it seems like good movies and yummy snacks are the trick. Good luck!

John said...

Destiny alerted me to your blog about kids' CDs and TMBG. I truly am a big fan, I've considered them one of my favorite groups dating back to middle school. I remember riding the bus to the mall with my friend to buy Apollo 18 when it came out. I never knew you were a fan - you guys should have come with us when they played a concert at Agate Hall on campus a couple of years ago, it was great!

John said...

p.s. My favorite song is "The Vowel Family," mainly because of the hilarious puppets on the DVD video for that song. And Jocelyn, at age 5, was reciting the Alphabet of Nations by heart ("Algeria, Bulgaria, Cambodia....")